Hero 200 E

Dan Carmell

I understand the 200E bears a vague resemblance to a pen from some obscure European pen maker, but with its 200 series 14 Kt nib, it’s certainly has its own personality and character. Every bit of this pen is solidly made, nicely detailed, and the fit is tight and smooth. I could (and will if people are interested) say more, but suffice to say for the moment that this pen is worth the price paid. It isn’t my usual style of pen at all, but the look, fit and finish is so satisfying that I’m absurdly pleased with it. The seller skipped the elaborate box but included a very nice fabric pen sleeve , a swap I’m quite satisfied with.

40B6270F-B8C6-4102-B9A5-C02800C4CB1F.jpeg

Edited by Dan Carmell
Spelling

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dan Carmell

• Number99

• Mech-for-i

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/7/2022 at 8:49 AM, Dan Carmell said:

I understand the 200E bears a vague resemblance to a pen from some obscure European pen maker, but with its 200 series 14 Kt nib, it’s certainly has its own personality and character. Every bit of this pen is solidly made, nicely detailed, and the fit is tight and smooth. I could (and will if people are interested) say more, but suffice to say for the moment that this pen is worth the price paid. It isn’t my usual style of pen at all, but the look, fit and finish is so satisfying that I’m absurdly pleased with it. The seller skipped the elaborate box but included a very nice fabric pen sleeve , a swap I’m quite satisfied with.

40B6270F-B8C6-4102-B9A5-C02800C4CB1F.jpeg

Hello.

After reading your post, I browsed a lot of gorgeous 200E on AliExpress and Taobao.

It feels like these 200 series have the same nibs. If so, I think that the range of choices will be expanded and it will be possible to purchase a model that suits your taste.

These models still have the vestiges of Hero50, and I feel the genealogy and déjà vu in the shape of the nibs and the red lines on the clips.

As they pass in front of me with an XF nib within budget, I'll try to scoop them up.

The 850 you told me, but I couldn't find it. However, I found a green exterior 849 resting on the site I use all the time, with the same integrated nib section.

So… I took it home.

https://m.bilibili.com/video/BV1TJ411E7JS?from=seopage

4 hours ago, Number99 said:

Hello.

After reading your post, I browsed a lot of gorgeous 200E on AliExpress and Taobao.

It feels like these 200 series have the same nibs. If so, I think that the range of choices will be expanded and it will be possible to purchase a model that suits your taste.

These models still have the vestiges of Hero50, and I feel the genealogy and déjà vu in the shape of the nibs and the red lines on the clips.

As they pass in front of me with an XF nib within budget, I'll try to scoop them up.

The 850 you told me, but I couldn't find it. However, I found a green exterior 849 resting on the site I use all the time, with the same integrated nib section.

So… I took it home.

https://m.bilibili.com/video/BV1TJ411E7JS?from=seopage

You made a lucky find, I think! The 849 appears to be identical to my 850 except for the delicate green color. So probably there were other colorways as well. Did yours arrive with the old squeeze converter as mine did? I like these but I don’t change ink color much. 

About the 200 series nib, I compared the nib markings—and on the new 200E, the right side shows an ideogram and below that an ‘M’ for medium, I suppose. On the 200 & 200A nibs, purchased around 2000, the same ideogram appears but below it each nib has a different mark, a symbol that my guess is a factory mark. 

This nib, in steel or gold, deserves to continue in the Hero line. It’s good looking, especially with the Hero logo and other markings that give it a traditional look. I have a Hero 50 coming, now that I know it’s relationship to the 200 series, so that was very helpful, thank you. 

if you like the Hero 200 / 50 then you might want to acquire the Hero 58 ( vintage model ) , Hero 581 , and there is currently a Hero H711 which had this same nib but done in 10K

5 hours ago, Mech-for-i said:

if you like the Hero 200 / 50 then you might want to acquire the Hero 58 ( vintage model ) , Hero 581 , and there is currently a Hero H711 which had this same nib but done in 10K

Interesting, thank you! I’ll look around for those. It’s clear that many members of this forum have a deep understanding of the Chinese pen companies and their history, including individual factory production. It’s very impressive. 

I wonder if I look back in the archives here, will I find any discussion of Hero’s model numbering scheme, or it is too complex for a post?

6 hours ago, Mech-for-i said:

Just remembered that the 200B and 200C are still available also, with the same 14K nib. I wonder if there was a 200D? Searching the internet, images of 200, 200A, B, C, and E show the proper model images, but nothing for D. 

13 hours ago, Dan Carmell said:

You made a lucky find, I think! The 849 appears to be identical to my 850 except for the delicate green color. So probably there were other colorways as well. Did yours arrive with the old squeeze converter as mine did? I like these but I don’t change ink color much. 

About the 200 series nib, I compared the nib markings—and on the new 200E, the right side shows an ideogram and below that an ‘M’ for medium, I suppose. On the 200 & 200A nibs, purchased around 2000, the same ideogram appears but below it each nib has a different mark, a symbol that my guess is a factory mark. 

This nib, in steel or gold, deserves to continue in the Hero line. It’s good looking, especially with the Hero logo and other markings that give it a traditional look. I have a Hero 50 coming, now that I know it’s relationship to the 200 series, so that was very helpful, thank you. 

I think the notation of nibs is probably "英" on the left side and "雄" on the right side.

This is a Chinese word that has the same meaning as a hero, but it has the same meaning as Japanese.

Regarding the logo, one is the plum blossom design "文华金梅", which is displayed on the nibs of the hero fountain pen and others, and the one with the design of "1" displayed on the 100/200 series.   @IJKWS"taught me.

I have the impression that the nib mark is one of those logos. There is also the Hero 50 logo, which is designated 5 and 0.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/365525-please-identify-hero-50-800-with-unknown-details/?do=findComment&comment=4520882

For the 849, made in 1995 with box, the ink is filled with a squeeze filler labeled "英雄" (not converter).

The writing size is equivalent to M, and I got information from the net that the Hero could not polish the tip more finely.

It is clear that the writing size is not suitable for writing kan-ji, so keep this for viewing.

This was purchased from a pen collector and is unused. He said he had another used one that he wanted to sell. But he would have liked it enough to buy two. Given that, I can't say "sell that 849 too" …

Regarding the 200 series, I experienced writing with an inexpensive model of the 5x or 2xx series, and if I liked it, I had the impression that it might be a safe way to move on to the 200 series.

I am now interested in the vintage Hero 3xx series(real 3xxs ) for export to Japan.

These pens that appear in the Japanese second-hand goods market are included in lots derived from the pen cases of fountain pen users in the 1960s and 1970s.

The construction of the pen itself surpasses that of Parker21 & 45, there is no section shrinkage, and it is equal to or better than a Japanese pen.

The nibs are mediocre, but the writing performance of fine print is excellent. As for writing kan-ji, it is the same or better as Parker 45s and is "introductory", "daily", and "students".

Overall, it is equivalent to Parker 45 and is superior in that there is no section shrinkage and finer lines can be drawn.

There is a clear difference from the infamous, old 1990s inventory that anyone can distinguish.

I was able to deepen my understanding by gaining "valuable user observations and opinions" about the relationship of the 50/200 series.

Thank you very much.

So much interesting information in your post, where to begin! Yes, those are the ideograms, thank you for explaining them. In the late 1990s (when I first bought Hero pens) none of this information was known or available in the US.  

if your fellow collector is determined to sell his other pen, because of your interest he now has the information to the best possible price. 

I am sure there is more information about 3XX, so I will look there for background information. What do you mean by “real 3xxs”? Is it the issue of counterfeit 3xx models or the different quality of materials/production between factories or decades of production?

About Japanese pens, I am a big fan of the Pilot Custom/Elite/Capless lines. Below are my Customs and Capless. I think my matte black Majohn A1 will remain inked permanently and the Capless will remain in very good condition. It is an excellent writer and well made. The A1 is in good company here!

Because it was at hand, I took a photo of my P 45s (I sold most of the collection, this is what I retained) and I am going to post that in the Parker forum in a moment—the 800 looks at home with them. BE216FEB-2E8B-4C90-BFF6-90188AC9323A.thumb.jpeg.3f2b2f825fd7bd881d7a529412a78004.jpegC74FF8BC-B933-4B35-9F00-F4B6090EC892.thumb.jpeg.60577ee035e63dac8938ede53f59d3e3.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dan Carmell said:

So much interesting information in your post, where to begin! Yes, those are the ideograms, thank you for explaining them. In the late 1990s (when I first bought Hero pens) none of this information was known or available in the US.  

if your fellow collector is determined to sell his other pen, because of your interest he now has the information to the best possible price. 

I am sure there is more information about 3XX, so I will look there for background information. What do you mean by “real 3xxs”? Is it the issue of counterfeit 3xx models or the different quality of materials/production between factories or decades of production?

About Japanese pens, I am a big fan of the Pilot Custom/Elite/Capless lines. Below are my Customs and Capless. I think my matte black Majohn A1 will remain inked permanently and the Capless will remain in very good condition. It is an excellent writer and well made. The A1 is in good company here!

Because it was at hand, I took a photo of my P 45s (I sold most of the collection, this is what I retained) and I am going to post that in the Parker forum in a moment—the 800 looks at home with them. BE216FEB-2E8B-4C90-BFF6-90188AC9323A.thumb.jpeg.3f2b2f825fd7bd881d7a529412a78004.jpegC74FF8BC-B933-4B35-9F00-F4B6090EC892.thumb.jpeg.60577ee035e63dac8938ede53f59d3e3.jpeg

"The real 3xx" is just the name I'm talking about.

In the thread attached to the previous post, I mentioned that the evaluation on this site is very different from the 329 I own, and the 616 and 329 exported to Japan and other countries from the 1960s are of quality. I got the mention that it is different and "high quality". (Please refer)

There are also references to export and domestic versions in Chinese blog posts.

Also, most of the old inventory currently on sale is from the 1990s, when the hero's management was at a standstill, and seems to match production during the worst quality period.

I also mentioned in a blog post the rumored mention that copies are also being produced.

I think most of the 329 ratings are about the worst production of the time and not justified.

These are stories about 329.

Expert information is needed regarding the identification and quality of those products from the 1960s to the 1980s, which is another story.