Sailor Dentō Urushigei Rei - Wajima Tamenuri

Azulcaneta

Just arrived. I am loving it. I have a Sailor Sculpture Fine. The new Rei is a medium. I wonder if there is a reliable way to slightly adjust the medium nib to make it a touch less broad, but not as fine as the sculpture nib. The urushi is simply fabulous. very happy.

IMG_2881.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Azulcaneta

• A Smug Dill

• awa54

• Linger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beautiful pen!

perceived line width can be manipulated by choosing inks that have less generous flow, but usually that's a subtle change.

that said, there was a recent thread where a Sailor pen was observed to have a broader than expected line when using the supplied black ink cartridge. the issue was corrected to the user's satisfaction with use of different inks.

if ink choice doesn't help and you're unable to exchange the pen for one with a finer nib, then having a nibmeister adjust inkflow to be drier, and/or regrind the tip to a fine or fine-medium is likely the solution.

David-

So many restoration projects...

Thanks. I really like the medium. I need to try different inks and paper and get calibrated to it. I am in the learning phase. However, this pen is now my favorite. Its extraordinary. I am also very picky with Nibs. For note taking I like EF or Japanese F. For long form journal i prefer fine and even some european fines are too broad. So i went with japanese medium to approximate regular fine. We shall see. Would Sailor be able to swap out the nib? I wonder since I dont want total fine, just medium fine, i wonder if i need an incredible nib meister.

if you're basing your initial opinions on use with one of the cartridges that came with your pen, it could be as simple as using a different ink.

as far as a nib swap, I'd think that's a matter to discuss with the retailer you purchased it from first.

if you need the pen to have "just so" width and inkflow with one favorite ink, then a nibmeister can undoubtedly deliver that. of course, ink and paper choices will alter that equation, no matter how perfectly tuned the pen is with that one ink/paper/nib width combination you specified.

the extent of my modern *gold* Sailor nib collection is scant, with a fine in 14k a medium in 14k and a fine in 21k. my 21k fine is slightly wetter writing than its 14k counterpart, so it lays down a wider line on average (it also has a hint of flex, which is absent in the 14k nib).

when compared across nib materials (adding the several steel F, MF and M nibs found in Compass/Profit Jr, Young Profit and Lecoule), I see as much variation between individual F, MF and M nibs as I do with wet vs. dry writing inks. of course YMMV

David-

Nice looking pen. You seem to like narrow nibs, Japanese F and EF, which are about the smallest nibs aside from a needlepoint. It's fun to experiment with different nib sizes but the wider and wetter they get the more the ink and paper play a role. 

Hey! That is good news. My order for the same pen dates from early July 2021. This post might indicate that Sailor completed a batch and that my pen might be arriving soon. Or did yours come from an older batch and was on stock with your retailer? 

Color looks gorgeous bytheway. 

On 4/5/2022 at 3:59 AM, Azulcaneta said:

I wonder if there is a reliable way to slightly adjust the medium nib to make it a touch less broad, but not as fine as the sculpture nib.

You could reduce the ‘wetness’, or ink flow, in the system that makes up the writing instrument. That could be achieved by reducing or reshaping the tine gap; or it could be achieved by changing to an ink with different flow characteristics.

You could reduce the width of the contact surface on the nib's tipping material, and thus reduce the line width it produces.

You could change the ink and/or the paper to a combination where there is less spread, in the process of depositing ink on the page and allowing it to dry, when you write with your pen.

They're all reliable approaches to achieve the stated objective. That doesn't mean the ink you ought to be using instead is known, or that you — or any random individual — has the skill and the tools on hand to “reliably” adjust the tine gap or physically reshape the nib tipping appropriately.

On 4/5/2022 at 4:59 AM, Azulcaneta said:

Would Sailor be able to swap out the nib?

Able to? Certainly. Willing to do it for you when asked? Probably not; that is not how Sailor operates.

Warranty details for Sailor products in International markets are shown on the blue/white Warranty leaflet which is found with all Sailor products:

Kindly also note that we do not have a nib exchange policy for new pens and it is important to ensure that the correct nib choice is made at the original purchase of the product.

What your retailer would or would not do for you when asked, outside of what Sailor's approval and involvement, is a different question.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

@Lingerthank you so much. I got it at endlesspens and i got an enormous discount since its REI I. I confirmed REI I and REI II are identical in size. hard to understand exactly the different but REI 2 is gonna be 4x the price i paid 

34 minutes ago, Azulcaneta said:

I got it at endlesspens

I certainly wouldn't expect any support from the retailer in getting a different nib fitted, then.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

6 hours ago, Azulcaneta said:

@A Smug Dillthank you so much. I need to go to a show and talk to a nibmeister. I love the pen. i literally would want to reduce the broadness by max 15%. 

a 15% line width difference is the kind of tolerance shift you might get from a temperature/humidity swing, or paper batch variance... ink choices at either extreme of the flow spectrum are likely to cause significantly larger changes in line width than that.

have you actually tried a variety of inks in this pen yet? it can be hard to judge a writing unit (feed & nib) fairly, until you've experienced it with several different ink and paper combinations.

if of course, you *actually* only use one ink and one type of paper, then make sure to bring those with you when you have your appointment to get the pen adjusted, having the pen tuned with other materials could easily lead to disappointment when using your chosen media.

I guess I'm just much more willing to let a pen be what it is, since my focus is vintage (read: "a mixed bag", often with baggage from the pens previous life). I usually only feel the need to adjust flow or reshape nibs when a pen isn't writing reliably.

David-

@Linger@A Smug Dilli have to say. The urushi sailor is simply a dream. It’s probably top of my collection. I adore writing with it and it’s a medium. Amazing feeling. Seems like Japanese is really my sweet spot. Where should the next stop be ? Platinum urushi?

36 minutes ago, Azulcaneta said:

Where should the next stop be ?

I wouldn't know. If you're more focused on the urushi finish than the nib, then Namiki and Nakaya, I suppose, depending on whether you want maki-e art under the urushi. I don't mind urushi and maki-e and do find them beautiful as artistry, but my Pilot ‘Hannya Shingyo’ and plain old Platinum Izumo Tamenuri will do me; I prefer to go for different types of textures on the pen bodies such as wood, guilloche, etc. As for the nibs, I already have several dozen of Japanese nibs (all fitted on pens as they come, not supplied loose, of course) from Sailor, Platinum, and Pilot all up.

Prior to deciding, i would really try them out first. The Sailor writing experience is different from Namiki, and both are different from Nakaya. Go to a pen show, bring your paper, and sit down. Alternatively, you can do as i did: buy representative pens of all brands and figure out your preference afterwards. As you venture into the premium segment, you can’t go wrong with any of them. And if you regret a puchase for any reason, you sell the pen “pre-loved”. There will always be a market for these pens. To that extent you better keep all boxes and papers, at least until you made up your mind about selling yes/no.

@Lingeri am going to DC and am going to do just that. I have the MB 149 coming in EF IN 3 weeks as I needed a nib sweep and then i am going to enjoy what i have. Though i love the MB guilloche and the new glacier :)