Help with identifying this Waterman [C/F] pen

OldTravelingShoe

TL;DR: I acquired a Waterman fountain pen that I believe to be a Cartridge/Filled (C/F). The complete nib looks like it (see Figure 1). The nib unit corresponds to the typical C/F (Figures 2, 3). The other photos are also consistent with a Waterman C/F made in France (e.g., Figure 4). However, I cannot find the type of C/F that a finish without any lines, stripes, etc. Could you please help identify this pen? Especially a specific model identifier or a link to a catalog that includes it would help. Thank you.

Details:

1. The problem: I cannot find anywhere a reference to a gold-plated Waterman C/F that has a plain finish, without striations, curves, grain-patterns, fish- or crocodile-scales, etc.
  2. I read carefully various entries about the Waterman C/F, among which Dirck De Lint's / Raven March Fountain Pens, FPN's various entries on the CF and especially @donnweinberg's (thanks, everyone who contributed), and the entries I could find in the German and French versions of Lambrou's book. I searched eBay and gopens, both current and past listings.
  3. It seems to me the nib unit fits the 1970s Waterman C/F made in France.
  4. It seems to me the shape of both pen and cap also fit the 1970s Waterman C/F.
  5. The barrel is golden and shiny, and does have "WATERMAN" and "MADE IN FRANCE" engraved on it. However, I could not find an engraving indicating gold-plating, i.e., there is no "750" or "23[K]" engraved, as I've seen some of the Waterman pens from the 1960s and 1970s have.

(Sorry for the quality of the photos; I took them last evening with my phone and could not find a way to remove the yellow-ish tint.)

large.1382604373_20220404_170535WatermanCF18KMnib.jpg.923cc701151f873a0be80b9f99238d88.jpg

Figure 1. Full body of the fountain pen.

large.1831737477_20220404_170448WatermanCF18KMnib.jpg.f64e0cca94ae839ee180e5b851dcc3b5.jpg

Figure 2. Zoom on the nib. 

large.353811693_20220404_170502WatermanCF18KMnib.jpg.842504af5c61d98908b1378b075c2084.jpg

Figure 3. Nib unit attached to the pen body.

large.876473880_20220404_164355WatermanCF18KMnib.jpg.434038959e34bcb7cf657d1eafd93b1d.jpg

Figure 4. The engraving reads "WATERMAN" and "MADE IN FRANCE". Cap and body seems to have plain gold-plating, no lines or other finishing.

Many thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tobias from Switzerland

• OldTravelingShoe

hi there, definitly a CF 

I gonna check when this version was produced I will come back on that

Eine Version glatt ohne gravuren und Muster gab es bereits in Ende 50iger Jahre, jeweils vergoldet mit dünnen Schichten

Mora schreibt (german/french): "Der neue Stift, der Amerika revolutioniert": Werbung von Waterman France für den neuen "CF"-Stift. Im Jahr 1953 wird ein genialer Designer, Harley Earl, Leiter der Art & Color-Abteilung von General Motors, den „CF“ (Cartrige Filler) entwerfen, der fast 30 Jahre lang der Anführer der Marke bleiben wird. Dieser neue Stift profitiert von einer außergewöhnlichen technologischen Erfindung: der Kunststoffkartusche, die die Probleme beim Füllen von Tinte lösen wird. Es ist der Höhepunkt aller Experimente, die an der Glaskartusche durchgeführt wurden, und eine der größten Innovationen in der Geschichte des Stifts.
Harley Earl verleiht dem „CF“ einen futuristischen Charakter. Er entwarf einen innovativen Stilclip, dessen zwei Arme sich am Ende treffen und der ein integraler Bestandteil der abgeschrägten Oberseite der Kappe ist. Auf dem Stiftteil ist ein goldenes Muster eingelegt, das ihm eine längliche, raketenartige Form verleiht; es wird viele Versionen kennen.
Der "CF" hatte sofort einen großen Erfolg, merkwürdigerweise besonders in Frankreich, als er aus Amerika kam; Dieser Erfolg wird zur Expansion der Marke Waterman beitragen. Dank „CF“ wird die Kunststoffkartusche weltweit zum Standard aller Hersteller."

I checked throuh three catalogs but no edition goldplated with no pattern;

as it is definit from France, it could be a prototype as they did some times often to test new editions

On pict it seems that the cap end isn't really nice done, which could support the idea from prototpye

I do own a CF prototype in "woodd" laquer as pen and ballpoint

On 4/13/2022 at 5:39 PM, Tobias from Switzerland said:

Eine Version glatt ohne gravuren und Muster gab es bereits in Ende 50iger Jahre, jeweils vergoldet mit dünnen Schichten

Mora schreibt (german/french): "Der neue Stift, der Amerika revolutioniert": Werbung von Waterman France für den neuen "CF"-Stift. Im Jahr 1953 wird ein genialer Designer, Harley Earl, Leiter der Art & Color-Abteilung von General Motors, den „CF“ (Cartrige Filler) entwerfen, der fast 30 Jahre lang der Anführer der Marke bleiben wird. Dieser neue Stift profitiert von einer außergewöhnlichen technologischen Erfindung: der Kunststoffkartusche, die die Probleme beim Füllen von Tinte lösen wird. Es ist der Höhepunkt aller Experimente, die an der Glaskartusche durchgeführt wurden, und eine der größten Innovationen in der Geschichte des Stifts.
Harley Earl verleiht dem „CF“ einen futuristischen Charakter. Er entwarf einen innovativen Stilclip, dessen zwei Arme sich am Ende treffen und der ein integraler Bestandteil der abgeschrägten Oberseite der Kappe ist. Auf dem Stiftteil ist ein goldenes Muster eingelegt, das ihm eine längliche, raketenartige Form verleiht; es wird viele Versionen kennen.
Der "CF" hatte sofort einen großen Erfolg, merkwürdigerweise besonders in Frankreich, als er aus Amerika kam; Dieser Erfolg wird zur Expansion der Marke Waterman beitragen. Dank „CF“ wird die Kunststoffkartusche weltweit zum Standard aller Hersteller."

With a Google Translator take, the text quoted by @Tobias from Switzerland becomes:

The New Pen Revolutionizing America: Waterman France advert for the new "CF" pen. In 1953, a genius designer, Harley Earl, Head of Art & Color at General Motors, created the "CF" (Cartrige  Filler) that will remain the leader of the brand for almost 30 years. This new pen benefits from an exceptional technological invention: the plastic cartridge that will solve the problems of ink filling. It is the culmination of all the experiments carried out on the glass cartridge  were carried out, and one of the greatest innovations in the history of the pen.
 Harley Earl gives the "CF" a futuristic character.  He designed an innovative style clip whose two arms meet at the end and which is an integral part of the slanted top of the cap.  A golden pattern is inlaid on the pen part, giving it an elongated, rocket-like shape;  it will know many versions.
 The "CF" immediately had a great success, oddly enough especially in France when it came from America;  This success will help expand the Waterman brand.  Thanks to "CF", the plastic cartridge is becoming the standard for all manufacturers worldwide."

Thanks, @Tobias from Switzerland