Newton Pens?

Rosendust

Hey everyone, I am thinking of purchasing a custom pen from Shawn Newton. But I am wondering about what the grip section is like? I am uncertain about which varieties in grip I actually like.

Any Ideas\experiences with Shawn?

Thanks all!

“Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favorite flower, your favorite song, your favorite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart."

-Leigh Bardugo, Six of Crows

Follow me on IG: Lenses.and pens_

Please do not assume affiliation for any stores I may post about, just a happy customer.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aysedasi

• Aether

• Seney724

• Driften

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shawn makes many different models, they have different shapes on the section where you grip. Some are almost straight others curve back up before the end. I have 4 of them and find them all comfortable to write with.  He makes a quality product.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

5 hours ago, Rosendust said:

Hey everyone, I am thinking of purchasing a custom pen from Shawn Newton. But I am wondering about what the grip section is like? I am uncertain about which varieties in grip I actually like.

Any Ideas\experiences with Shawn?

Thanks all!

If you are uncertain what kind of grip section you like, I would not order a custom pen. Figure your preferences out first, THEN drop the money on a custom pen you are sure you will love.

Here are mine, he has all kinds of newer models shown on his website.

86849446_Newton2.jpg.c2cb574f681f65df823eecbc5ecebbe1.jpg1850087501_Newton1.jpg.836ec74b419f072b33dadea08a8fea6c.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• 5 months later...

I have a few Newtons, my custom order kept getting pushed out, I finally said for get it. I’ll be selling the ones I don’t use/like. 

Pop Tarts and gravy, It's whats for breakfast.

I have two Newtons and they are always in use.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I have three of his pens and they are very nice. None were custom but bought from what he had in stock. I would suggest you buy one of his standard models that is in stock before going full custom. He is at the Dallas pen show coming back on the 25th so he won't be answering emails until then. Normally he's very responsive and you can talk to him about what you like and ask for his suggestions, but I would still look though what he has on hand and pick from there until you know more about what you like.

Shawn is back from the DC show and is now sending me my forth pen from him. I'm looking forward to getting it. Give him a try. I ordered a medium size Orville made from Brooks earth magic material. I'm getting it with a steel M nib.

Newton.jpeg

On 4/3/2022 at 1:43 PM, PAKMAN said:

He makes a quality product.

Indeed, 😀 compared to other independent makers the tolerances and finishing is really polished. Not sure if it is the new machinery but my Large Sumpter is stellar in fit and finish. I'm on the 3 year list, but could not wait to try his quality and glad that a production model came up for sale at the right material and price. He usually posts new ones at his instagram and mentions in his email newsletter.

• 1 month later...

A short while in the past I looked into small independent makers as I thought it would be fun to have something different, but the prices for what is basically a standard plastic tube with a generic steel nib exceeds reasonableness in my view, especially considering what else may be acquired at that price point.   A lot of independents are asking between $200 and $300 for a base model. A Pilot Custom 823 can be had in that price range, and comes with a superb solid gold nib and an interesting filling system.  What do you get with the independent base level pen? A different colored plastic.  To go further with independents into more customization and the price escalates exponentially without necessarily being a good trade off on difference.

People will argue that the market sets the price, and to an extent that is true, but it baffles me why anyone would pay a premium price for what I see as somewhat ordinary pens.

I don’t own a pen from Newton. I do own pens from Edison and Franklin-Christoph. I think from Shawn Newton posting here, you can get an idea of the great customer service custom pen makers provide. 

I impulsively bought a Pilot Custom 74.  I also bought an F-C pen. Part of me wishes I hadn’t bought the Pilot pen. If I had not bought the F-C pen with a Nagahara nib, it would have cost less than the Pilot.  This is what makes the pen buying now so great. There are wonderful pens for all of us. 

Posted Image

3 hours ago, Aether said:

A short while in the past I looked into small independent makers as I thought it would be fun to have something different, but the prices for what is basically a standard plastic tube with a generic steel nib exceeds reasonableness in my view, especially considering what else may be acquired at that price point.   A lot of independents are asking between $200 and $300 for a base model. A Pilot Custom 823 can be had in that price range, and comes with a superb solid gold nib and an interesting filling system.  What do you get with the independent base level pen? A different colored plastic.  To go further with independents into more customization and the price escalates exponentially without necessarily being a good trade off on difference.

People will argue that the market sets the price, and to an extent that is true, but it baffles me why anyone would pay a premium price for what I see as somewhat ordinary pens.

Supply and demand, they like his product and the supply is low (as he said, he's still getting through orders from 2018!) so the price is high. It doesn't matter that you don't think they're worth it or don't understand why they're worth it - it only matters that a significant amount of people do. 

I think part of it is the customization factor - you can't really do that with a Pilot Custom 823, what you see is what you get, there's not much choice there. If you're willing to pay for it, I'm pretty sure he'll make you any pen you want, as long as it's feasible. I haven't had any personal interactions with him but he also seems like a class act, doesn't he run a small charity/scholarship fund? That's awesome.

For what it's worth, I agree with you 100% in regards to personal value. For what I value in pens, his pens are a hard sell for me. I can't justify paying that much for a pen with a standard steel nib no matter how nice it is. I enjoy Franklin Christoph pens which some people have brought up, but those are kind of in a sweet spot for me where it's a palatable price and they offer interesting non-standard grinds for not too big of a premium. The custom grinds are what make their pens worth it for me.

But even while I'll probably never own one, I recognize the really great craftsmanship that goes into them and I wish him the best with his business. 

For what I value in pens, his pens are a hard sell for me. I can't justify paying that much for a pen with a standard steel nib no matter how nice it is. I enjoy Franklin Christoph pens which some people have brought up, but those are kind of in a sweet spot for me where it's a palatable price and they offer interesting non-standard grinds for not too big of a premium.

This is what I was trying to say.  You said it better, i have often some trouble putting thinking into words in the right way. :)

5 minutes ago, Aether said:

This is what I was trying to say.  You said it better, i have often some trouble putting thinking into words in the right way. :)

Oh yeah, I totally get it. People always assume I'm complaining or being overly negative when I'm just trying to share what I think. I have the same problem.

17 hours ago, Aether said:

That's discrimination. 

As in "having discriminating taste" no doubt.

The debate over the "value" of custom pens is a long-standing one.  Some are willing to pay for uniqueness, and having a say in the design of a personal pen.

I had no intention of buying the Knickerbocker 139 above, but....  Without ever talking to Shawn the pen pushed a number of buttons:  Omas Wild celluloid on the cap and the section, MB tie clip design reference, unique to my bunch of pens nib, and what turned out to be flawless ebonite cap and barrel. 

No one is claiming that if you don't crave a custom pen you lack style and taste.  Each of us have our own "gag point" at which price overwhelms any possible personal attraction or utility.  Buy what you like, appreciate the diversity of others' taste.  We're all just chasing pointy things to scratch out things with colored water.

I have two of Shawn's pens - I've had them for some years now.  They remain among the most prized in my collection.  I was in the order list for a third for a long time thanks to a will bequest, but sadly by the time that I got to the top of the list, the intended funds for the purchase were long gone.    There really is nothing like having a pen custom made....  To respond to what someone said earlier - if you think these are ordinary pens made from cheap plastic, you really need to think again.  There is nothing 'ordinary' about my two pens.  

Shawn Newton does whatever it takes to meet his customers needs and reassures his customers that he will stand behind his work for as long as he is alive.  He communicates every step along the way and allows the clients to experience the process of what he creates as it is being created.  I have two of his custom pens and they are, hands down, the two nicest & best writing pens I own.  If I had to part with my collection they would be the last two pens to go...... 

Just to echo this.  I'm in the UK.  Due to my own clumsiness, my first Newton pen has returned across the pond twice for repairs after twice dropping on a hard floor - the second time only a day after I got it back after the first repair.  Shawn remained unfazed and had it back to me quickly both times.  I don't recall any charge either.  

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......