Hakase Order

AndrewUK

Hi

I have my first Hakase a GW15D on order (expected August) African Ebony.

My main question is about nib size selection. I have ordered an extra section and nib.

I have small writing approx 1.5-3mm high so prefer a narrow line.

I think the first nib will be a Fine but I'm not sure about the second. That may be a safe FM, although at the time of ordering I did specify a narrow (Fine) stub for some variation.

Does anyone have any advice / writing samples?

The second question is regarding Urushi coating. I may already have missed the boat on this but what are peoples opinins on requesting Urushi. I am in the UK so humidity not really an issue.

Thanks in advance.

20220403_102126.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AndrewUK

• cll

• Linger

• IlikeInksandIcannotlie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IIRC Hakase uses Pilot #15 nibs in their pens which means line size should be pretty close to that of samples fom the 743 and 823. And before I get dogpiled about the differences, I know Hakase tunes the nibs to their own specs. I have smaller handwriting as well and the SFM I have is a bit wide even with as little pressure applied as possible. I also have 743 with an EF which is alot finer than either an SF or regular fine nib. Personally, I think the fine stub would be neat to try!

Thanks for the replies.

Linger that was a very useful thread. I take it that you are happy with your choice to add urushi?

I thing the 15 in the GW15D refers to a Pilot#15 nib so I will do some more nib research on the 743 and 823.

My pen is scheduled for delivery by end July,  i will know by then. Based on the input i received from fellow Hakase enthousiast, i am pretty sure all will be goooood.

And yes, the 15 in the Hakase product denomination does refer to the Pilot #15 nib. The 10 can refer to either the Pilot #10 or the Sailor nib.

Maybe it is my subjective feeling but I think Hakase nibs tends to follow the Western sizing more than the traditional Japanese.  The EF that I had ordered felt very much like the F from Platinum but in the typical Hakase treatment.  It is a good smooth EF.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the input. I have decided to not go down the urushi route as Nakaya have that covered. As for the nibs I have dropped down to an EF and a stub F.

Delivery should be September 😀

3 hours ago, AndrewUK said:

Thank you for the input. I have decided to not go down the urushi route as Nakaya have that covered. As for the nibs I have dropped down to an EF and a stub F.

Delivery should be September 😀

Do let us know how the F stub is. And how good it is.  I, personally, am interested to see how a F stub from Hakase will perform and if there is much variation.

• 3 months later...

Hi All

My first Hakase arrived this week. It seems perfect so far, the size, the weight, the feel of the ebony.

I will never make a photographer as the below is the best I have been able to do. There is some line variation and I think it writes very nicely given the few lines I have done so far.

Thanks for everyones help and advice.

20220814_160059.thumb.jpg.5fd6026820ba562f62ff42e81d32f55d.jpg

That looks beautiful! May I ask what ink that is?

19 minutes ago, AndrewUK said:

Hi All

My first Hakase arrived this week. It seems perfect so far, the size, the weight, the feel of the ebony.

I will never make a photographer as the below is the best I have been able to do. There is some line variation and I think it writes very nicely given the few lines I have done so far.

14 hours ago, AndrewUK said:

Hi All

Beautiful.  As mentioned, can see some variations but appreciate that this is a fine nib to begin with.  A treasured pen for years to come