Amateur poems and "poems"

Feldrod

Hi everybody! Hope you're doing okay! 
I was wondering if there is a thread based on sharing amateur poems and attempts at poetry written with fountain pens. As I have only found threads focused on writing down poems from (usually) other authors I thought if it would be possible to make a thread solely based on amateur poems whose author is the one posting them. Hope this idea sticks 😅

This is my attempt at "poetry" 

(depressive and graphic theme)

Spoiler

"

Do you know the feeling,                       Do you know that feeling,

when feelings are rippling,                     when feelings are rippling,

when happiness is no more,                  when sadness is no more,

when life is an emotional gore?             when life is an emotional reward?

My innards in a straightjacket,             My innards on a planet,

begging it to stop,                                 enjoying it nonstop, 

the orgasmic wriggling of a maggot    being attracted like a magnet,

eating my flesh to the last drop.          enjoying my stay to the last drop.

The nothingness illumnitaes               The light illuminates

the scorching light                               the scorching darkness

telling me I shall die tonight                telling me I shall reunite

for the advance of human fates         for the advance of human fates.

But I always choose to be consumed

by the sinister path

so everybody can rest assured

that I'm going to die tonight

"

20220328_180728.thumb.jpg.4cddbfe88cb945b6218b36428c15a7ce.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• essayfaire

• amberleadavis

• Le Vieux

• inkstainedruth

I think the reason that there hasn't been such a thread is that people who do write poetry are concerned about whether posting their work here would count as "published work" or not.  Some publications do not accept previously published work (probably due to the issues involved with getting the copyright).  

I know that years ago my mom had a story published in a collection of short stories and then the editor resold it (several times in fact) without her knowledge -- or permission.  Then (stupidly) sent her some of the *royalties*, which is how she found out about it.  The story was re-sold to a magazine that IBM put out for its employees working abroad in Germany.  Well, a guy at our church worked at corporate headquarters -- as a lawyer -- and she got him involved.  IBM was of course absolutely mortified at being a unwitting party to what the editor had done (the guy also tended to under-inflate word counts, and other sorts of slimy behavior, as it turned out...).

That being said, do you do NaPoWriMo?  I've been doing it for a few years now and realized that it's just around the corner (the early-bird first prompt for people overseas is March 31).  One of these years I've got to figure out how to set up a blog, so I can link to the NaPoWriMo site.  

Of course I just realized that I've ALREADY got a lot on my plate the next week and a half.... :headsmack:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Great idea. There are some original poems to be found in the forum threads but they are scattered throughout. It may indeed be a nice idea to have a common place for those willing to to post them.

BTW, nice and interesting poem. I hope you survive the night and we can get more from you in the future :)

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

• 1 month later...

(depressive and graphic theme)

Spoiler

As my chest feels heavy with shallow kick,
being approached by the child of Erebus and Nyx,
finally feeling at ease as we meet again, 
you know suicide is my domain. 
Do you want to see a simple trick?
The scent of burnt gunpowder as a joss stick. 
Oizys? Do you also love the eyestrain
which comes from the flash of a gun piercing my brain? 

As I see the gunflash I blink
"Did you really wish to die for those eyes?"
She breaks up laughing,

she expresses her despise.
"It was crushing.",

I reply, still feeling a link.

Her face is flushing

as if it is drenched in pink ink,

I hear the eternal cries.

The goddess of misery

used her witchery

so it was a bit slippery,

I have missed my shot

of the tiny hot dot

that would kill me. Or so I thought

Ranga Model 3S #6 Medium JoWo nib

Diamine Royal Blue (Eyedroppered)

ac.thumb.jpg.97557ae3eed100c1114a5bbeab00c7a6.jpg

• 2 months later...

I finally found the "write" thread!!

@inkstainedruthI didn't know there was a poetry version of NaNoWriMo; I have philosophical objections to that because I think it leads to lots of bad writing with no editing, but I will check out the poetry version this year.

I do not consider this "published"; I think of it like read-aloud.

Anyhow, here's a pantoum I've been working on, tentatively titled  "Though I am not Seamus"large.IMG_1948.JPG.2e9728532aa24498dd7b59a910527367.JPG

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

14 hours ago, essayfaire said:

I finally found the "write" thread!!

@inkstainedruthI didn't know there was a poetry version of NaNoWriMo; I have philosophical objections to that because I think it leads to lots of bad writing with no editing, but I will check out the poetry version this year.

I do not consider this "published"; I think of it like read-aloud.

Anyhow, here's a pantoum I've been working on, tentatively titled  "Though I am not Seamus"large.IMG_1948.JPG.2e9728532aa24498dd7b59a910527367.JPG

Well, as far as I'm concerned, NaPoWriMo is first drafts (I expect NaNoWriMo is similar in that -- except that it's easier to write a poem a day for a month instead of roughly 1700 words of a novel a day for a month.  Especially since *that* takes place in November when too much other stuff is happening).

It's also good because it makes me aware of different poetic forms (there was a prompt a couple of years ago in writing a pantoum, BTW) and not just me reverting to my go-to of tanka (similar to haiku but with the addition of two extra seven syllable lines, so the format is 5-7-5-7-7 (which makes for great stanzas as well as stand-alone poems).

But yeah, some of the poems I've written during NaPoWriMo are complete and utter dreck....  But others I've been really happy with, and think they MIGHT be publishable....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

53 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

But yeah, some of the poems I've written during NaPoWriMo are complete and utter dreck....  But others I've been really happy with, and think they MIGHT be publishable....

54 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

some of the poems I've written during NaPoWriMo are complete and utter dreck....  But others I've been really happy with, and think they MIGHT be publishable....

Some of the poems I've written are complete and utter dreck... but others I've been really happy with.  I don't have the NaNoWriMo excuse for the bad ones!

Tankas are fun, too, but I've been playing with more meter lately since obtaining a copy of Measure for Measure.

Festina lente

7 hours ago, txomsy said:

That's nice. Keep'em coming!

Do they all need to involve pens? ;)

Thanks!

Festina lente

• 2 weeks later...

Might need another couple rounds of revision.  I love the first line and have three different poems that open with it, and I haven't yet decided which ones the keeper.

Pelikan 205 EF with Visconti Blue on Sugarcane Paper:large.1042197474_IMG_20022.JPG.d7006899539314c6fdcf10cb7f9a1575.JPG

Festina lente

• 2 weeks later...

large.2022-09-12_00103.jpg.05b0563edb71ab75e1751a4f5f210a69.jpg

The words are from @Pale.Ink.Tom, the formatting and extra words are mine.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

A magical moment indeed for me @amberleadavis and one I shall cherish.

The power of words to stir the spirit and nourish the soul is something I know well.

I remember even being inspired to write a poem myself...many, many years ago.

I was reading a book about, Lee Miller and Man Ray and was profoundly moved by a 'silver gelatin' B/W image of Lee 'reclining',

I can't adequately explain why but I 'took up my pen'!!

Fast forward a year or two to a wild and stormy night in Golden Bay, NZ. "Live poets" night at "The Mussel Inn", a glowing log fire, everyone warm and cosy and listening to local artists reciting.

I was seized by a mad and reckless impulse. An outrageous personal dare!! Could I recite my poem...?

I tried frantically to remember how it went so I retreated to a relatively quiet spot on the dark veranda outside while I pieced it together in my mind, walked back inside and wrote my name on the chalkboard.

Clutching the lectern, with no book or notes, I began to recite my poem! I became the living face of my poem. I was almost 'levitating'. 😂 (more terrified than I can say).

Well...!

I was trying to hurry back to my seat by the fireplace and hide again but I couldn't get past the crowd, patting me on the back and shaking my hand!! One woman from a poetry journal wanted to publish my poem..Aaaargh!

I know @amberleadavis...you will want this story to end well for me but quite frankly I've never repeated that experience. And I never wrote poetry again!

Kind wishes, Tom

ps...and, no, I can't remember the whole poem now but I do have 40 years worth of dairies! I'm sure I must have written it down somewhere! 🤔

πTom

As many others out there, I took to scribbling down thoughts that rhyme. Not poetry, mind, for that would be stretching it. After all, what is one to do when one stays indoors, has plenty of time, ink, paper and pens? He dabbles into writing stuff, of course.

I will try and post some such rhyming thoughts, for what is worth.

264643240_minoxandfountainpen.png.2be96a1cb960c6ba19879d9d0fb2a13a.png              Fountain pens and Minox                                 

7 hours ago, Le Vieux said:

He dabbles into writing stuff, of course.

Of course!  I spent the first 100+ days of the pandemic writing a letter each day.  

@Pale.Ink.Tomand @amberleadavisI really enjoyed reading this - poetry is something I rarely think of as collaborative.  You have captured the magic well!

Festina lente

One of the things I did when getting into fountain pens was to start writing poetry again (which I mostly hadn't done since college).  Someone a few years ago posted about NaPoWriMo and I've been doing the daily prompts for about 7 years now.  Some of the poems are admittedly dreck.  But some?  I'm happy enough with that I've been looking into sending them out for submission.  But I won't post them here because a lot of the little magazines have rules about not accepting previously published work and I'm not sure whether posting them online would count as "publishing".

😊  Thank you all. I enjoyed the writing experience and hearing PI Tom's story. I look forward to more poems from others.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

7 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

I'm not sure whether posting them online would count as "publishing".

I don't count it.  You're workshopping, not publishing.  

Festina lente

5 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

😊  Thank you all. I enjoyed the writing experience and hearing PI Tom's story. I look forward to more poems from others.

Want to write out one of mine?  I have one that I think might be finished - it is about a fountain pen!

If not, I'll write it up myself, but it's been well-established you have better penmanship.

Festina lente

1 hour ago, essayfaire said:

Want to write out one of mine?  I have one that I think might be finished - it is about a fountain pen!

If not, I'll write it up myself, but it's been well-established you have better penmanship.

I would be delighted to do so. I have 3 pens full of ink at this moment.