How to decide between Nakaya, Nakimi, Hakase etc? ?

Azulcaneta

Just bought a Sailor Ebonite Sculpture and realized that it is the best writing experience I have among my collection of MB, Diplomat, Dupont, Ott Hutt.

I was interested in the Nakaya Urushi long cigar, but now and wondering how people think about the differences between the nibs. The aesthetics I understand but in terms of writing experience and nib. i like precise but not scratchy and would likely go for a fine.

Edited by Azulcaneta

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Azulcaneta

• Linger

• mongrelnomad

• awa54

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't comment for all the mentioned brands, but Nakaya (as Platinum) will give you a rather tactile writing experience, much like a pencil (depending on paper). The "regular" Pilot nibs will give you the proverbial glass smooth writing experience. As far as I know, Hakase is using both Sailor and Pilot nibs (depending on model). 

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

16 hours ago, dftr said:

shoot, I thought there was another japanese pen company called nakimi and got excited.  was fooled by the spelling bug :) 

I'm pretty certain that Nakimi is just the upscale branding for Potil ;)

It sounds like the OP needs to try them all!

David-

So many restoration projects...

Sailor, Nakaya, Namiki are factory-finished, obviously with strict (very high-level) quality control but still. Hakase uses Pilot and Sailor OEM nibs and the tunes them to the wishes of the buyer - a bespoke solution if you will. Hakase therefore trumps them all in my opinion.

With the big three you get some differences (not better or worse but different):

- Nakaya has stiff nails that are on the dry side

- Namiki has perfect nibs that write effortlessly smooth

- Sailor has perfect nibs that give you some feedback, as if writing with a pencil - you hear that too

Note that Nakaya nibs come in one size only, Namiki and Sailor have a variety of sizes, all with their own character.

You can’t go wrong with either. But try to try them out. Especially Sailor’s King of Pens 21K nib - that one is something else. Really.

Thanks. I have sailor sculpture fine, and its wonderful to write with. Best used for note taking. I assume I might need to go to medium if i want to journal with these pens. The sailor certainly gives that tactile feedback. 

If you're not familiar with the podcast Tokyo Inklings, you might find it interesting as the co-hosts focus on the Japanese pen and stationery market.

URL: tokyoinklings.com

Each episode's show notes contain links to some of the products mentioned.

The hosts are Jacob (fudefan on IG) and CY (pronounced See Why, tokyostationpens on IG). Both also have blogs.

Alesa from Inky Rocks (YouTube) is a frequent guest.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I love that crazy girl!  Someone called her the Michael Bay of ink reviewers which totally fits!

1 hour ago, ethernautrix said:

I

Alesa from Inky Rocks (YouTube) is a frequent guest.

2 hours ago, Azulcaneta said:

Thanks - so much options. Assume Tomoe river is still the best paper 

Well, that would be a good presumption  -- until episodes something-something and something-something-else (I don't remember, because I've been binge-listening on long walks and playing back at 1.3x or 1.5x speed). Probably if you searched Tokyo Inklings Tomoe River, you'd get a list of episodes to check out.

2 hours ago, dftr said:

I love that crazy girl!  Someone called her the Michael Bay of ink reviewers which totally fits!

Ha! I love how she plays with inks!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I had heard from a paper fanatic I know that the manufacturer of the Tomoe River paper has closed due to an important and irreplaceable component in their shop failing.

Is that good/bad information? had anyone else heard that rumor?

David-

1 hour ago, awa54 said:

There were a lot of rumours and disinformation circulating on Reddit mid to late 2021 about the reasons for why the Japanese conglomerate, Tomoegawa (the previous owner-manufacturer) were discontinuing the “new Tomoe River”. My understanding was that the rising costs of wood pulp and maintenance of the machine used to manufacture TR 52gsm had led to the decision to sell the rights to the Tomoe River brand to Sanzen Paper.

Jacob on Tokyo Inklings had explained (and debunked the disinformation circulating on blogs and social media) by dissecting through Tomoegawa’s Company Report (from the original Japanese) - on their “Emergency 3” podcast. I’d check that out if you have 45 minutes.

10 hours ago, MalcLee said:

There were a lot of rumours and disinformation circulating on Reddit mid to late 2021 about the reasons for why the Japanese conglomerate, Tomoegawa (the previous owner-manufacturer) were discontinuing the “new Tomoe River”. My understanding was that the rising costs of wood pulp and maintenance of the machine used to manufacture TR 52gsm had led to the decision to sell the rights to the Tomoe River brand to Sanzen Paper.

Jacob on Tokyo Inklings had explained (and debunked the disinformation circulating on blogs and social media) by dissecting through Tomoegawa’s Company Report (from the original Japanese) - on their “Emergency 3” podcast. I’d check that out if you have 45 minutes.

Thanks for that update, I will check it out and pass the info on.

David-

11 hours ago, awa54 said:

I had heard from a paper fanatic I know that the manufacturer of the Tomoe River paper has closed due to an important and irreplaceable component in their shop failing.

Paper and Paraphenalia section of the forum?

Add lightness and simplicate.

Frankly, they’re all wonderful, but hold very different spirits.

Pilots are generally smoother (Pilot-Hakases simply glide) and more forgiving. 

Platinums have more tooth and feedback.

Sailors fall in between (and are my personal favourites).

I’d hazard against a Nakaya fine as I find the narrower Platinum nibs, the more finicky they become. While I’d be happy with a Sailor or Pilot F (I own several of each), I’ve jettisoned most of my Paltinum and Nakaya Fs. 

Too many pens; too little writing.

Nakaya medium. It's... ok. Not a lot of personality to be honest. 

Danitrio, if I'm not mistaken, use Bock nibs. 

Too many pens; too little writing.

I have Nakaya SM, M, B, Music, BBstub.

As mentioned above, in general, I find them to be rather stiff and rather dry. But on the right paper, they function without any issues. The Soft Medium and Medium (I have two) as well. The nibs are good, so no issues/comments there, I just think that Pilot/Namiki and Sailor nibs are better.

Well that's me sorted.

I've a lovely long (144mm) Ebonite Kuro-tamenuri, with a generous section and a stiff nib.  So no need of a Nakaya.  Even though I have been looking at them longingly.  17mm Cigar in particular.  Also have a delightful Hakase with a Pilot nib.  So no need of a Namiki.

I may have attained Penstasis.

Add lightness and simplicate.