Hello Friends and Not Yet Friends!

Ghost_Writer

It's a pleasure to meet you all. I'm Ghost! 

My first fountain pen was a Pilot Varsity in 2011. Simple to use and with no additional required steps, the Varsity was my gateway. To minimize the waste I was generating, I quickly upgraded to the Pilot Metropolitan (poor student back then) and used Parker's Quink as it was readily available at any office supply store in my city. Unfortunately, after using my metropolitan for over a year, I lost it in a move and forgot about it along with my love for fountain pens. I went back to the world of roller balls, .38 gel pens, and digital calendars. 

Flash forward to 2021. The line between work and personal time gets blurred while many of us transition to remote work. I found more and more that I was needing a portal to remove myself from the digital space. Somewhere to escape from the endless information stream. That's when I started looking into journaling and stumbled across fountain pens again. Recalling my fondness of my trusty Metropolitan, fountain pens were back on my radar. And so the decent back into the rabbit hole began again as it was not even a week before I ordered a Black Kaweco Sport, Rhodia notebook, and Diamine Earl Grey ink.

Now it's March 2022 and my pen collection has expanded to also include:
- F TWSBI ECO-T Fountain Pen - Mint Blue
- EF TWSBI ECO Fountain Pen - Jade 
- EF LAMY Safari Fountain Pen - Light pink? I have no idea what the name of this colorway is as I bought it when I was in Berlin. 
- MF Sailor Pro Gear Slim Fountain Pen - Grateful Crane
- M Kaweco Sport - Iridescent Pearl 

Although it's small, I'm very pleased with my collection as each pen is used often and isn't just sitting there collecting dust.

I'm very conscious about materialism and try to resist the fomo that tends to pop up in serial hobbyist circles. I'm a member of too many of them (Video games, TTRPG, Stationery, Photography, etc.) and it's unsafe for my wallet/mind.
As you can see, the Iridescent Pearl got me this time...but next time I'll be ready!

Let me know, what are some ticks or tips on how you fight back against the hype or fomo in the fountain pen space? 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• A Smug Dill

• mizgeorge

• Ghost_Writer

1 minute ago, Ghost_Writer said:

Let me know, what are some ticks or tips on how you fight back against the hype or fomo in the fountain pen space? 

1. Welcome aboard!

2. I love ghosts. (See the link below).

3. No, I am an enabler.  :)

large.InkySeas.jpg.9e55d2f1eb4ae5d24f29c5b9459aa60d.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Welcome to FPN.

8 minutes ago, Ghost_Writer said:

By talking down the objects of hype or FOMO in online forums, going against the grain as the case may be. Not to disrespect the hobbyists who happen to like or even love those products, or belittle their tastes, of course; but the opposite sentiment towards those material items and consumer goods, from any of their/our fellows of equal standing, has equal entitlement to be aired and shared in a discussion forum. The fear of missing out cannot be based exclusively on scarcity or rarity of a product alone; it also has to appeal to a prospective buyer as being good (however subjectively defined and assessed), and/or holds a higher value holistically to oneself than the cost (in terms of money, as well as effort and/or risk) of acquisition. Critical evaluation of the products, especially in threads and/or sub-groups whether the ‘norm’ is for fans to wax lyrical and profess their love for such, and backslap each other to reassure each other they have good taste, may be seen as unwelcome by them; but it is a service to the rest of the (predominantly silent, unidentified and thus unseen) readership of the forum and those threads, in offering a more balanced viewpoint and also inviting other dissenting voices to chime in. While that may not spare you or me personally from succumbing to FOMO regarding products of our own preferences and weaknesses, voicing criticism of, or pointed disinterest in, some over-hyped products help others come to their own conclusions and perhaps temper their FOMO; and thus that is “fighting back” in the fountain pen space, even if it doesn't save ourselves. :)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Greetings from Pittsburgh!  :W2FPN:

I generally suggest that new folks click on the "View New Content" button, to get a good overview of a range of topics, and to check out the pinned Index to the Ink Reviews Forum (even though a number of older posts no longer have the images available).

But I'm afraid that if you want to fight against FOMO, you are in the wrong place, Ghost_Writer!  You have come amongst a horde of evil enablers, who will help you spend your discretionary funds on pens, inks, paper, storage, repair tools, sealing wax and seals, pen shows and ephemera....  Amberlea Davis is definitely an inky enabler (I can attest to that -- not only did I try a sample of what is now one of my favorite inks because of her posting about it, I once showed my husband a photo she had posted of the cabinet she stores ink in and his response was "This is NOT a competition!" (he also tells people that I used to collect pens -- but now collect inks...).

At least you're starting out with budget pens for the most part (I have one ProGear Slim, in one of the LE colors, and held out for the longest time until the next year's LE model came out; then looked for used ones, but then found that I could save some money by ordering from Cult Pens in the UK).  I mostly have jumped down the vintage pen rabbit hole, but my two most expensive pens are modern Pelikans (a couple of M405s).

Have fun, enjoy the ride, and remember that there are no dumb questions except the ones you don't ask.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Welcome to FPN, @Ghost_Writer! :)  Glad you've joined us.

1 hour ago, Ghost_Writer said:

At the end of the day, personal awareness and discipline are the only way.  Knowing that you have the tendency, knowing what brings you real satisfaction vs. temporary thrill followed by "meh" or regret, being concerned about long-term financial security and preparedness for the inevitable (guaranteed) hard times, knowing how long it will take to recoup the cost (and what else you can buy with that money - including the free use of your own time), analyzing the probability of real use and enjoyment of the target item, recognizing that you can nickel and time yourself to the poor house, analyzing how much each of your current pens is used, etc.

Plus, different inks and papers can make your pens feel completely different! :P ;) :D

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

large.FPN_Welcome.jpeg.06a98836a6514f196d41cc8b2895ec9f.jpeg

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! So glad to have you as a member!! Little help on the "Oh Pretty" must have front with many of us! I just came back from a pen show with 4 new to me pens! Look around have fun and again welcome to FPN!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

On 3/23/2022 at 6:52 AM, PAKMAN said:

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! So glad to have you as a member!! Little help on the "Oh Pretty" must have front with many of us! I just came back from a pen show with 4 new to me pens! Look around have fun and again welcome to FPN!

:)  I'm always happy to borrow them from you and return them after a few uses so that they don't get lonely.  :P

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 weeks later...

You have successfully entered a rabbit hole, who knows what it'll yield and where it'll lead.

Enjoy the fascinating journey and feel free to ask/share...  thumbup.gif

W2FPN.gif

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.