Hello from the HOSPITAL! 🤣🤕

savroof

Bet’cha haven’t had THAT intro! Had a bought of pancreatitis, VERY PAINFUL! 1 mg. of Dulaudid an hour painful! So, I’m in my hospital bed reading about Lamy fountain pens on this site (LOVE IT!), I just discovered last week!! I’ve always LOVED fountain pens, but never heard of Lamy (I know, right?). I have a few Waterman’s, including my special one picked up in Paris, and some much less expensive Watermans, Cross, Parker, with a solid gold nib, and Pilot. But I chanced upon a BEAUTIFUL pen store in downtown Greenville, SC, and the owner introduced me to my FIRST Lamy! An Independence, red/white/and blue one, I HAD to buy it! $27.00. I, being new, thought ALL Lamy Safari fountain pens, it came in such nice blue cardboard box, with cream holder inside pen holder. No instructions, so, the paper ring, confused me, until I unscrewed it, and saw the blue ink cartridge, and I “got it”, to prevent the cartridge from being pierced!

I then bought the 2020 limited Candy color trio, and they came in thin, flimsy silver, cigar shaped, paper boxes 😏. Haven’t bought one in the even cheaper black paper boxes yet. And some cool Lamy ink colors! Light blue, mango, and lime green. The last two for the two of three limited 2020 pens. Shoulda bought some purple ink too, but then I bought some Pilot fountain pens as well, and the tab was getting expensive! But WAY cheaper than a Mt. Blanc (never warmed up to them, or their prices!) Or, my next one, a Salor fountain pen from Japan.

Just curious, are: the exclusive “Blick” white and/or black Lamy box sets, or the new Savannah (I live in Savannah, Ga.) model going to be desirable?? Are the 2020 Candy colored pens I bought a good investment? Should I even use them? I’d like to! Any thoughts? 
  I LOVE the fact you can change nib sizes so easily!! Wish all fountain pens could do that! I AM left handed, but find the left handed nibs a bit “gimmicky”. Never heard of a left handed nib. What’s the real difference? Any? I inked up the Independence Lamy, med. nib, and it writes just fine in my left hand! Maybe shouldn’t have used that one, IDK. How rare is it? How old is it?

Thank you all!!!  Yes, it’s true, hospital food SUCKS! 

Last questions:

1) Anybody else notice: brand new/NOT cheap, Waterman fountain pen ink cartridges are only filled a little over half full? 😡

2) My Parker (expensive), and my cheapest Watermen, dry up ink cartridges, unused, QUICK! I resort to using cellophane tape around the cap and body to stop it, but WAY cheaper Lamy Safaris don’t dry up quick at all! SMART Germans!!

Edited by savroof
Typo

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• savroof

• amberleadavis

• LizEF

• Misfit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome and heal quickly. there is a whole world of fountain pens and more to explore and learn about.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Welcome to FPN, @savroof! :)  I'd recommend splitting your questions out into a new thread in a different sub-forum - you'll probably get more replies.

1 hour ago, savroof said:

1) Anybody else notice: brand new/NOT cheap, Waterman fountain pen ink cartridges are only filled a little over half full? 😡

IMO, this means the seller (or his source) has had them in stock too long and they evaporated.  I also think it's just to ask for a replacement and that it be checked to ensure they're full.  Alternately, after piercing the cartridge, you can add distilled water to the cartridge.  But this may not restore the ink to its original state as ingredients other than water may have evaporated.

1 hour ago, savroof said:

2) My Parker (expensive), and my cheapest Watermen, dry up ink cartridges, unused, QUICK! I resort to using cellophane tape around the cap and body to stop it, but WAY cheaper Lamy Safaris don’t dry up quick at all! SMART Germans!!

As you've figured out, some pen caps don't seal well, thus allowing evaporation.  Personally, I don't use those pens.

Get WELL!!!

large.InkySeas.jpg.9e55d2f1eb4ae5d24f29c5b9459aa60d.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! So glad to have you as a member!! Hope you are well and out of the Hospital soon!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello and welcome to FPN, hope you get well soon.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

large.FPN_Welcome.jpeg.06a98836a6514f196d41cc8b2895ec9f.jpeg

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

THANK YOU ALL!!! I’m being discharged tomorrow. I wanna go home NOW!!!

As to Waterman pre-filled cartridges, they were new in a box, “new” inflation technique?? 

7 minutes ago, savroof said:

As to Waterman pre-filled cartridges, they were new in a box, “new” inflation technique?? 

That doesn't mean the box hadn't been sitting on a shelf in a warehouse for years...  I have new-ish Waterman cartridges, and all were full to the top except the Mysterious Blue.  I assume that one was either a QC problem or it evaporated (mine were various colors put together by the retailer rather than by Waterman).

I cannot see how unused cartridges would evaporate, AND, I took out all of them, 10 to a box? I’m in the hospital, just got my LOVELY Dulaudid (yummy!) My nurse calls it: da-la-lah. LOL! So, I think it’s 10 to a flat little square box? Anyway, ALL the plastic ink cartridges were at the same level, a tiny little over half full.. 🙁 They weren’t old, maybe 3-4 months old? A lighter shade of blue. Again, not at home, don’t remember the name of the shade of lighter-side blue.

REALLY, no huge big deal! Just noticed when I needed a new one, and huh??

47 minutes ago, savroof said:

I cannot see how unused cartridges would evaporate

The plastic allows evaporation.  (So do plastic ink bottles.  So do milk jugs. :) )  It's well reported in the community.  (For example.)  And the whole box would evaporate at the same rate, being in the same place and of the same age.

49 minutes ago, savroof said:

They weren’t old, maybe 3-4 months old?

They have a manufacturing date on the box?  I'm talking about how long they've exist since the cartridges were sealed in the factory.

My point is, half-filled cartridges are not Waterman's norm.  Either there was a QC problem on all the carts in your box (unlikely, but possible) or water evaporated (more likely, unless they really are only months old).

I’ll have to get back to you on that, when I get out of the hellspital🤕🤕🤕🤕

Edited by savroof
?

Does anyone own a Lamy Independence model Safari? Red/white/and blue! I LOVE it! I also LOVE the box! I got the 2020 Candies, thin cigar shaped silver paper boxes. The Independence has such a nice blue cardboard box! I’m gonna treat myself to an EXCLUSIVE BLICK Lamy white, for all the needles to suck blood out of me in the hospital. 😃😃

5DF240BE-0A25-445F-91E3-1BC7E87BF886.png

THANK YOU!!! Hope it doesn’t happenen AGAIN!! Pancreatitis is PAINFUL! Just got my last dose of Dulaudid before going to bed, hopefully!!

As for the special edition Lamy colors, I doubt they will increase in value to become an investment. I use mine. 

Discharge can take hours sometimes. Here’s hoping yours is quicker than some my parents went through. 

Posted Image