• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Armo

• inkstainedruth

• Wahl

• OCArt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was given this pen over fifty years ago by my Gran. It was my grandads and was broken. The nib holder had been snapped or something but I always harboured a desire to get it working. In so doing it got me into the world of pens as I looked for a suitable doner part. Anytime I found anything that looked remotely similar the prices were off the scale so I decided to make my own out of some brass tubing. This is the result. The side effect however is that I have now started a small collection some of which I will post at a later date.  Thank you for and enjoyable and informative forum.

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Greetings from Pittsburgh!  :W2FPN:

What a beautiful pen, Armo!  You're so lucky to have a family heirloom like that.  I used to have some (unknown name) pen/pencil combo that had been my grandfather's, but lost it years ago when I was a kid after finding it on my dad's dresser after my grandfather died.  No clue what it was (and since I was only about 7 or 8, thought that the lever was where you put the leads in for the pencil end.  My mother couldn't understand my fascination with it (my parents both grew up during the Depression, and she probably never had a GOOD pen -- no clue what my dad had or used), and she took my interest in it to be because I was "arty" (which she was not).

I generally suggest that new people click on the View New Content button when they log in, to get a good overview of a range of topics.  And to check out the pinned Index to the Ink Reviews Forum (even though a lot of the images were lost in the great "Photobucket hijack" a few years ago).  In your case, since you repaired the pen, I'd also suggest the Repairs Q&A Forum as well.  

Do you know what brand the pen is?  And also show us a writing sample?  And tell us what other pens you have as well.  (Me, I fell down the vintage rabbit hole -- okay, truthfully I dived in headfirst, although my most expensive pens are a couple of modern Pelikans).

But I also tend to warn new people that we are all shameless enablers here, and we will happily help you spend your discretionary budget on pens, inks, paper, repair tools, storage containers, sealing wax and seals, pen shows and ephemera....  

Enjoy your stay on FPN, and remember -- there are no dumb questions except the ones that don't get asked!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

large.InkySeas.jpg.9e55d2f1eb4ae5d24f29c5b9459aa60d.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

large.FPN_Welcome.jpeg.06a98836a6514f196d41cc8b2895ec9f.jpeg

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! So glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Here is a writing sample as requested by Inkstainedruth. The nib is from a Burge, Warren and Ridgley 'Neptune' pen but whether it is original or a doner I don't know. The overlay is a Heath, USA and has his logo so no doubts there but did they do overlays for British Manufacturers?

What other pens do I have? Well I have a couple of Wyverns, a Burnham and a couple of Parkers but the most interesting would be a Perry and Co Self-filler No 521 and a Whytwarth Safety Pen. Thank you for your interest and comments.

354386239_Writingsample.thumb.jpg.0888bc5f9c5db3e304f4a35b9e64412c.jpg

13 hours ago, Armo said:

Here is a writing sample as requested by Inkstainedruth. The nib is from a Burge, Warren and Ridgley 'Neptune' pen but whether it is original or a doner I don't know. The overlay is a Heath, USA and has his logo so no doubts there but did they do overlays for British Manufacturers?

That I don't know.  Interesting that you have information about the overlay maker on your pen.  Now I'm going to have to look over my three Morrisons with the filigree overlays and see if I can spot any sort of makers mark.  (I also have a Morrison ringtop with a sterling overlay that's just engraved with a pattern, and one that's just the BHR (ran across it at the end of an eBay auction and got it for super cheap -- under $8 US), but I don't have those last two up and running yet.  I decided that the sterling filigree overlay one was a higher priority since that had been a bit of a grail pen for me after the two gold-filled filigree ones.

I also have a full-size Morrison (possibly a Tourist) but the nib on it is scratchy so I haven't used it in a couple of years.  At some point I will take it to a nibmeister and it may be a case that the tipping is worn down like on the sterling filigree one and I will have to treat it as an oblique nib.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Those Morrisons are very beautifull. $8!?! Like my father always used to say it's better to be born lucky than rich!

Oh no, you misunderstand, Armo.  The eight buck pen was the plain BHR one.  The sterling silver filigree overlay one was around $96 US including tax (and a discount coupon from eBay) and then I just sank *another* $95 into repairs and nib work....  

The first gold-filled filigree overlay one was $80 but was in working condition when I bought it. 

• 2 weeks later...

You have successfully entered a rabbit hole, who knows what it'll yield and where it'll lead.

Enjoy the fascinating journey and feel free to ask/share...  thumbup.gif

W2FPN.gif

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.