New Swatch Card Storage Box

LizEF

8 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

I'm thinking if we get together, we can instead invest in a card catalog.  :)

YES!!  We need an in-person fountain pen community, so we can fill one of these:

spacer.png

Love the pull-out shelves.  Do you suppose any modern college student has the slightest clue what those are? :D

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• amberleadavis

• A Smug Dill

• Kari Homan Shannon

6 hours ago, JulieParadise said:

Search for the product of a scrapbooker, Heidi Swapp. She had created a system called Memorydex a while ago which also has a punch in fun colours. That should be way cheaper than the Rolodex system and prettier, too.

Edited to add: I have and use this system for years now, and it holds up well. I have the card carrier/Memomry Dex stand in white (still pristine and white) and the punch in light turquoise (still punching).

:thumbup: The network at work!

59 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Do you suppose any modern college student has the slightest clue what those are? :D

Someone's Zettelkasten?

Or it could be a Chinese medicine cabinet

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I supposed I could take my antique post office box ....

OH and @LizEF college students are clueless, and @A Smug Dill good suggestions!large.PXL_20220302_232956619_MP.jpg.4c9de51726c49a31dd0be5345e7713fc.jpg

PXL_20220414_002029237.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

On 4/21/2022 at 11:42 PM, JulieParadise said:

Search for the product of a scrapbooker, Heidi Swapp. She had created a system called Memorydex a while ago which also has a punch in fun colours. That should be way cheaper than the Rolodex system and prettier, too.

Edited to add: I have and use this system for years now, and it holds up well. I have the card carrier/Memomry Dex stand in white (still pristine and white) and the punch in light turquoise (still punching).

Great suggestion!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

32 minutes ago, amberleadavis said:

large.PXL_20220302_232956619_MP.jpg.4c9de51726c49a31dd0be5345e7713fc.jpg

That thing is just too cool!  Makes me want to be a postal worker standing behind those bars selling stamps or something. :D

On 4/21/2022 at 11:13 PM, amberleadavis said:

I'm thinking if we get together, we can instead invest in a card catalog.  :)

I miss card catalogs. It was such a great way to find interesting new books. Just flip, flip, flip, ooh that sounds good! Ah, the good old days. I love technology, being able to quickly search by title is amazing, but sometimes the old way of doing things were better in different ways. 

I would love an old card catalog in my house. I have no room for it though. Alas! 

@amberleadavis

You might look on etsy for old Rolodexs. I saw a brand new one full of blank cards for $18. Can't help with the punch, but if you have a cricut you might be able to find or make a template. I know there are templates for the memorydex system mentioned, some real cute ones too! Makes me want a cricut even though I'd probably never really use it. 

5 hours ago, Pen Ultimate User said:

Makes me want a cricut even though I'd probably never really use it. 

Check your library.  Many are starting to loan out a "Library of Things", and ours has, I think, two different cricuts as part of that collection.  Also games, a projector & screen, a ukulele, a sewing machine...all kinds of stuff.  Anyway, the point was that you might be able to borrow one when you need or want it without having to make the investment (or store the thing!) yourself.

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

The comment about Chines medicine cabinets that A Smug Dill made is not a bad one.  A number of years ago we bought one at Sam's Club that we store CDs in (well, some of them anyway -- a lot live in a plastic tote bag I got at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame a few years ago, for carrying CDs on car trips...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

25 minutes ago, knarflj said:

Check your library.  Many are starting to loan out a "Library of Things", and ours has, I think, two different cricuts as part of that collection.  Also games, a projector & screen, a ukulele, a sewing machine...all kinds of stuff.  Anyway, the point was that you might be able to borrow one when you need or want it without having to make the investment (or store the thing!) yourself.

You know, I think I heard that my library has a cricut now. Thanks for the reminder. I'll check it out. 

Great ideas, thank you. For years I had an old card catalog in my office, it was the perfect place to store office supplies.

On 4/22/2022 at 8:09 AM, LizEF said:

YES!!  We need an in-person fountain pen community, so we can fill one of these:

spacer.png

Love the pull-out shelves.  Do you suppose any modern college student has the slightest clue what those are? :D

I was just thinking about all the trauma that caused me as a college student.... hahaha. 

On 4/28/2022 at 10:31 AM, Pen Ultimate User said:

I miss card catalogs. It was such a great way to find interesting new books. Just flip, flip, flip, ooh that sounds good! Ah, the good old days. I love technology, being able to quickly search by title is amazing, but sometimes the old way of doing things were better in different ways. 

I would love an old card catalog in my house. I have no room for it though. Alas! 

@amberleadavis

You might look on etsy for old Rolodexs. I saw a brand new one full of blank cards for $18. Can't help with the punch, but if you have a cricut you might be able to find or make a template. I know there are templates for the memorydex system mentioned, some real cute ones too! Makes me want a cricut even though I'd probably never really use it. 

I have a cricut and use it about once a year or so.... Lol.  there's actually a site online "makerbook.io" I think where people can say "I have this tool that I'll rent to you" but I don't know if it's solely for woodwoorkers or for other things too.... 

I have one of those Levenger hole cutters listed as 'portable,' but it wasn't too much $$ and it works.  The fun part is using any scrap paper for throwaway notes/scribbles.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

23 minutes ago, Kari Homan Shannon said:

I was just thinking about all the trauma that caused me as a college student.... hahaha.

:lticaptd: I hope you've recovered.

On 4/29/2022 at 5:27 PM, LizEF said:

:lticaptd: I hope you've recovered.

LOL quite.  That was just shy of 30 years ago..... 😂😂😂

25 minutes ago, Kari Homan Shannon said:

LOL quite.  That was just shy of 30 years ago..... 😂😂😂

:thumbup:

• 1 month later...

If I understand questions that were raised early in this thread:
1. "Can I keep my swabs and ink info on a rolodex-type display device?"
2. "Are there ink-friendly cards available?"

Skimming through I don't see anyone mentioning/recommending "Col-o-Dex cards" from the same maker that produces "Col-o-Ring cards".

I will explore how we post photos here but for the moment I bought a couple of packs of "Col-O-Dex Rotary Cards" die-cut to match the original Rolodex Junior standard. These are a toothy white thick-enough non-feathering paper that exhibits a texture often called "letterpress". They are purpose-built for ink swabs.
I bought from eBay a pristine Rolodex Junior desk holder smaller than the spinners and perfect for the size of my ink collection.

I got my cards from The Well Appointed Desk. Ana there is a wonderful retailer.

https://wellappointeddesk.bigcartel.com/product/col-o-dex-rotary-cards

Hope this helps.

IMG_20220619_161325.jpg