New Swatch Card Storage Box

LizEF

As you can see, my old box was getting full...

large.InkStorage.jpg.66c68b65caaf67aa5fb060178aeb3696.jpg

So I got a box designed to hold ~800 business cards - about the same size as my swatch cards.  Also got a bunch of extra swatch cards, just so I don't have to switch cards at some point.  These should last me pretty much forever (I have ~550 blank cards now).

These came with my aunt's ink, some EF nibs for the Wing Sung 601 (my grey one's nib writes too fat, hoping these are finer), and new seamless bulb syringes (the old one split at the seams and has been reassigned as a funnel and a small-bottle-top grippy thing).

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• amberleadavis

• A Smug Dill

• Kari Homan Shannon

Looking good. Now you just need more ink samples! :D

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I would have thought you already had more ink samples than, well, than I can imagine. 

I only have maybe 140 swatch cards, so I use a Japanese A4-size business-card holder notebook with plastic sheets, 10 cards per side, 2 sides per sheet. Grouped by general color family so I can leaf through to see what I feel like using today. I like it because it doesn't take up a lot of desk room, it just sits vertically next to my pen cabinet. Col-o-ring cards do fit, although the part with the hole sticks out of the slot a little. 

I store mine like Paul, except the business card books are A5 and hold 120 cards (double sided pages, not backed-up in one side). I had one book until recently, but  it was almost full so I picked up two more. Now have more space than I'll ever need. Labelled them: Warm, Cool and Samples.

I do like your box solution Liz! Is that a stopper at the front of the cards to prevent them falling over?

Will work for pens... :unsure:

9 minutes ago, Paul-in-SF said:

I would have thought you already had more ink samples than, well, than I can imagine. 

The count is a wee bit excessive...  200 actual samples ("in stock"), 46 inks in cartridges, 23 in bottles...

12 minutes ago, Paul-in-SF said:

I only have maybe 140 swatch cards

I scanned all of mine on Monday (except Noodler's Blue Ghost, had to photograph that one :D ).  I have 205 is all - the dividers (one per brand) make it look like more.

14 minutes ago, Paul-in-SF said:

so I use a Japanese A4-size business-card holder notebook with plastic sheets, 10 cards per side, 2 sides per sheet. Grouped by general color family so I can leaf through to see what I feel like using today. I like it because it doesn't take up a lot of desk room, it just sits vertically next to my pen cabinet. Col-o-ring cards do fit, although the part with the hole sticks out of the slot a little. 

A book is tempting, but with my reviews, I think the cards are easier to pull from my box than they would be from sleeves, and each time I do a review, I go through the cards, holding them up to the review ink to see how they compare - loose cards just seems like it would work better for me.  Were it not for the reviews, I'm not sure I'd want anything other than a book - flip through and pick which color to ink. :)

8 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

I do like your box solution Liz! Is that a stopper at the front of the cards to prevent them falling over?

:) The box is actually divided into three sections  There's nothing else built-in to keep the cards from falling, but I have enough spares that I can just keep those behind any partially-full section and that should be enough.  I'd say that's the box's weak point, but not really a problem for me personally.

• 1 month later...

This is amazing! Maybe someday I will have sufficient inks to warrant such a lovely solution.

I am different.  Let this not alarm you.  ~ Paracelsus

If you're interested in corresponding, let me know!

24 minutes ago, frolic838 said:

This is amazing! Maybe someday I will have sufficient inks to warrant such a lovely solution.

:) I kinda fell down the ink sample rabbit hole (thanks to many kind FPNers and my own love for variety) and haven't come up for air yet!  Samples are a great way to build up a collection of swatch cards and learn what you do / don't like and why.

I've really considered getting an old rolodex and moving my swatches to rolodex cards.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

21 minutes ago, amberleadavis said:

I've really considered getting an old rolodex and moving my swatches to rolodex cards.

Yeah, that is tempting.  I think about that every time I watch an ink review by Mike Matteson / Inkdependence. :)

Well, now that I went looking at the cost of the little punch, I'm not doing that!  

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

10 minutes ago, amberleadavis said:

Well, now that I went looking at the cost of the little punch, I'm not doing that!  

:lol:  Yeah, anything brand-specific would be super expensive.  And unusual hole punches are hard to find. :(

14 minutes ago, LizEF said:

:lol:  Yeah, anything brand-specific would be super expensive.  And unusual hole punches are hard to find. :(

Oh, the Rolodex punch is $50+ and the off-brand is $42+ shipping. I'm wondering if I can recreate the process using a Circa / Arc / TUL punch.... so many things to think about.

14 minutes ago, amberleadavis said:

I'm wondering if I can recreate the process using a Circa / Arc / TUL punch.... so many things to think about.

Seems like that would be the way to go about it.  You know, unless you want to make your own.  Pretty sure you'd need a file and maybe a welder of some sort... :D

8 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Seems like that would be the way to go about it.  You know, unless you want to make your own.  Pretty sure you'd need a file and maybe a welder of some sort... :D

Welding-1.jpeg

I'm thinking if we get together, we can instead invest in a card catalog.  :)

Search for the product of a scrapbooker, Heidi Swapp. She had created a system called Memorydex a while ago which also has a punch in fun colours. That should be way cheaper than the Rolodex system and prettier, too.

Edited to add: I have and use this system for years now, and it holds up well. I have the card carrier/Memomry Dex stand in white (still pristine and white) and the punch in light turquoise (still punching).

9 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

Welding-1.jpeg

Looks hot!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.