• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• KidleP

• J120

• DrScholl

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@J120 I posted about these fake MB's a while ago. These newer reproductions are piston filled and not the captive converter of the earlier models.  Although they are listed as 149 they are actually 146 reproductions, and very good reproductions at that. When compared to my real 146 the AliExpress pen is nearly identical, the caps even interchange!  The 'fake' is ~3mm shorter when capped but all other dimensions are essentially the same.  

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

OCArt, I believe you and that is why I am buying two for curiosity's sake. The "knockoffs" and the clones have tended to be released simultaneously or within months of the clones. This could all just be coincidence but the truth is somewhere in between outright copying models or silent manufacturing agreements between east and west that put tooling and molds in the hands of eastern OEMS. As a byproduct we have seen almost all the filling systems replicated to the point we see the original designs critics have called for start to appear and it is only scratching the surface of what the eastern market is capable of producing. Exciting pen times ahead. 

Hello folks

Have any of you received and tested this pen yet ?

I just discovered the "Long Knife" nib option, which I love on my Kaigelu 316, I must say I am tempted *sigh*

4 minutes ago, DrScholl said:

Yes, why?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

5 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Yes, why?

😁

Well I did read the topic, with plenty of useful info about  piston, ink content etc.

Now Ok I will elaborate.

How do they write or feel in hand ? What about the nibs, someone tried the long knife one ?

Besides, I realise I have the same question I had about the N1S (which you kindly answered to in the appropriate topic) : how do the section threads feel compared to the N1S or the 960 ? Are they finer or coarser ? Do they sit further back from the nib ?
Because as much as I love my 960, after a while the section threads tends to irritate my middle finger, not only the threads themselves but also the kind of step above.

These threads look softer on the N6 and the step is not present, hence the temptation again...

On 4/14/2022 at 12:30 AM, DrScholl said:

how do the section threads feel compared to the N1S or the 960 ? Are they finer or coarser ? Do they sit further back from the nib ?

large.1825055252_HongDianfountainpenmodelswith32mmnibs.jpg.c94130e361a8a064509ac733f539cff1.jpglarge.2003516301_HongDianmodelswith32mmnibs-threadsclose-up.jpg.46c1f3957a70031eaee72b83772052c3.jpg

Because as much as I love my 960, after a while the section threads tends to irritate my middle finger, not only the threads themselves but also the kind of step above.

It seems the model 960 alone has a square (or is it ACME?) thread profile, while others have V-shaped unified thread profile. None of the piston-filler models has a noticeable step-down.

How do they write or feel in hand ?

I don't (usually) post the caps on the end of pen barrels when I write, and the torpedo-shaped end makes the pen feel just a tad short to be truly comfortable in my hand. I prefer a matt or textured finish on the barrel, and only the black-on-black variant of the N6 has that, although the glossy acrylic(?) bodies don't really pose a problem for me. The piston knob on the N6 has a metal shell over its plastic core, but seems to be quite flimsy, and does not cause as much of a back-weight issue as the metal piston knob on the N7. Again, the sharp taper of the N6's piston knob, combined with the glossy metal finish, makes the design less than ideal from my perspective, because it's tricky (and more so on the black-gold variant) to get a good grip on the knob to turn it.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Thanks a lot @A Smug Dill this is really helpful.

From the first photograph (some work in there !), we can also see that the threads on the N6 sit further back from the nib.

So now I might pull the trigger, maybe I shouldn't thank you after all  😁

On 4/13/2022 at 1:25 AM, DrScholl said:

Hello folks

I just discovered the "Long Knife" nib option, which I love on my Kaigelu 316, I must say I am tempted *sigh*

What is the ‘long knife’ nib, please? I’ve seen it and guessed it was an architect’s point but wasn’t sure. 

On 4/15/2022 at 10:05 PM, Dan Carmell said:

What is the ‘long knife’ nib, please? I’ve seen it and guessed it was an architect’s point but wasn’t sure. 

Yes it is an architect-like grind, here's a picture of my Kaigelu with its swapped 'long knife' nib. I don't have a better one, but you can see how the tip is ground.

From what I could see on AliExpress, one of the N6 nib options is labelled as such and looks similar.

IMG_1195.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2022 at 10:38 PM, A Smug Dill said:

large.1825055252_HongDianfountainpenmodelswith32mmnibs.jpg.c94130e361a8a064509ac733f539cff1.jpglarge.2003516301_HongDianmodelswith32mmnibs-threadsclose-up.jpg.46c1f3957a70031eaee72b83772052c3.jpg

It seems the model 960 alone has a square (or is it ACME?) thread profile, while others have V-shaped unified thread profile. None of the piston-filler models has a noticeable step-down.

I don't (usually) post the caps on the end of pen barrels when I write, and the torpedo-shaped end makes the pen feel just a tad short to be truly comfortable in my hand. I prefer a matt or textured finish on the barrel, and only the black-on-black variant of the N6 has that, although the glossy acrylic(?) bodies don't really pose a problem for me. The piston knob on the N6 has a metal shell over its plastic core, but seems to be quite flimsy, and does not cause as much of a back-weight issue as the metal piston knob on the N7. Again, the sharp taper of the N6's piston knob, combined with the glossy metal finish, makes the design less than ideal from my perspective, because it's tricky (and more so on the black-gold variant) to get a good grip on the knob to turn it.

Is the nib swappable ? Will any No.6 nib fit this pen? 

(Sorry I am very new to fountain pen, is 35mm nib the same as No 6 nib? ) 

Thanks

30 minutes ago, KidleP said:

Is the nib swappable ? Will any No.6 nib fit this pen? 

(Sorry I am very new to fountain pen, is 35mm nib the same as No 6 nib? )

The threaded nib units in some of the HongDian piston-filler models can be easily removed just by unscrewing them; but in others, they appear to have been glued in place during the factory process.

You can pull the nibs and feeds out of the nib units (i.e. the housing holding the nib and feed together) as you would other friction-fit assemblies; and you can of course swap the nibs (i.e. pieces of metal) around, or replace them with other compatible (32mm nibs in HongDian and Wing Sung pens, and there may be others) nibs.

The “No.6” designation, as commonly used in those hobbyists weaned on a diet of Western pen brands that don't bother with manufacturing their nibs in-house, really only tells you that the nib was designed to fit on top of a nominally 6mm-diameter feed. Here are a few nominally No.6 nibs of Chinese make:

So, while 35mm (in total length) nibs are typically designed to fit on top of nominally 6mm-diameter feeds (but I haven't measured the Chinese pens' feeds precisely with callipers), a “No.6” nib that is not of JoWo make may not be 35mm in length. In the case of the HongDian pens, you cannot expect to just fit JoWo, Jinhao, Kaigelu, or Moonman “No.6” nibs into them as replacements.

I hope that helps.

@A Smug DillThanks for your super comprehensive reply , I got a lot of information:D I intend to buy this one as "body" and swap it with other nibs I intend to buy in the future!

I just found out that I really like writing in medium- broad nib, I really like line variation, so I am looking for huge ink- capacity body because if I use cartridge I have to refill it every few days T^T  Wanna try "long-knife" version of N6 (available only in black). May be if I swap both nib and feed it can fit the kaigelu nib No6? Wanna order some kaigelu architect nib from Bobby's store and stub nibs too! The deeper I go in the fountain pen world, the more fun and excitement! Great community :) thank you very much :lol:

7 minutes ago, KidleP said:

May be if I swap both nib and feed it can fit the kaigelu nib No6?

No.

14 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

No.

:bawl: I will try the " long knife" version then. I hope that the line is broad enough for my hand writing ...

On 5/8/2022 at 1:42 AM, KidleP said:

I hope that the line is broad enough for my hand writing ...

But how broad is that, specifically or at a minimum? Do you make a distinction between what you require for cross-strokes (or horizontal strokes) as opposed to downstrokes? How tall is the x-height for your handwriting normally, and how ‘bold’ do you like your handwriting to look relative the size of each letter or character?

On 10/8/2021 at 3:16 AM, KidleP said:

I just buy monteverde innova, with omniflex nib.

I did not like the nib and want to replace it with ef nib.

i received my N6 & N7 today, however my copy got some defect, the pen is leaking ink from the grip.
it seems like the seal between the grip section and the feed holder is not tiight enough / not sealed properly.
i bought it from aliiexpress mary's stationery ;  and they said they will submit this problem to manufacturer ( hongdiang ) and told me to wait for a few days to settle this problem.
hopefully they will be able to properly settles it.
attached are the pictures of the pen leaking inks to tissue ( around 2-3 minutes just putting iit over the tissue )

overall for the finishing quality, hongdian is really good, the EF nib also really smooth, even better than my pelikan m800 or momento zero's EF out of the box.
the N7 is just a perfectly good pen, too bad the N6 black got this leaking problem.

S__51011588.jpg

734524CC-3E28-4565-AF8C-84AF09E866BE.jpg

43 minutes ago, christionk said:

overall for the finishing quality, hongdian is really good, the EF nib also really smooth, even better than my pelikan m800 or momento zero's EF out of the box.

I wouldn't trust any of those pen models to deliver a fit-for-purpose EF nib. I was quite frustrated by my N6's EF nib not two hours ago when I was testing something with it.

36 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

I wouldn't trust any of those pen models to deliver a fit-for-purpose EF nib. I was quite frustrated by my N6's EF nib not two hours ago when I was testing something with it.

sorry but i didnt quite understand what a fit-for-purpose ef nib is ? 
if u got lemons with your n6 i guess i just havent got a lemon yet lol
so far i have hongdian 660, N1s, N1, N7, all have damn good nib out of the box and the ugly duckling of the pack is the N6 and its not the nib that's in trouble, but the ink leak.

5 minutes ago, christionk said:

sorry but i didnt quite understand what a fit-for-purpose ef nib is ?

A nib that puts down extra fine lines of ink on the page for me. Say, EF or even F nibs on Sailor (Profit, Professional Gear, Promenade, Procolor), Platinum (#3776, President, Izumo), and Pilot (Custom, Capless, Elite 95S, Justus 95) models. Or JoWo-made EF nibs on Fine Writing International and Diplomat pens.

HongDian's no.26 (i.e. 26mm in total length) EF nibs are kinda OK, but its no.32 nibs — e.g. on the model 960, N1, N1-S, N6, N7, etc. — do not write nearly fine enough. I don't need it to feel smooth as I write, as long as the nib isn't scratchy and does not damage the paper surface; and a bit of kinaesthetic feedback actually helps with precise handwriting and therefore expressiveness.