Pi-Day pen purchases

Misfit

Today, March 14 or 3-14 is Pi-Day. Because I got it in my mind I had to get a Pelikan Classic in Cognac last night, I finally decided yes, I’ll buy it today. Thus I’m calling it my Pi-Day pen. 

I’m also going to make a pumpkin pie because I have the ingredients, and it’s an easy pie for me to make. 

Is anyone else inspired to make purchases or pie today?

Posted Image

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• Pale.Ink.Tom

• AmandaW

• A Smug Dill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had no idea there was such a thing. I thought "Fountain Pen Day" was nerdy enough, but you've blown that out of the water, LOL.

I didn't know this existed either. My nerdy household is very impressed and pie has been put in the calendar for next year. Thankyou. We like pies too. B)

Will work for pens... :unsure:

My pumpkin pie was pretty good. The frozen crust had a bit of a soggy bottom. But otherwise it tasted good. 

I had ordered a pen, and wanted it to arrive on 2-22-22. I think the winter weather delayed it because it shipped from the East Coast. It arrived on the 23rd.  Being on Reddit reminded me of a Pelikan Cognac that came with 2 nibs. I passed on it.  The Reddit member replied he had sold it. He had wanted £115 which is around $157. I found some on eBay for $155.  No italic nib, but oh well. I think instead of arrival date, I can pick order date, and thus call it my Pi-Day pen. 

I think I learned about Pi-Day when Tippins advertised pie for Pi-Day. Some email had an image of a round green image with the Pi symbol. 

Thank you all for responding to this bit of nerdy fun. I’m not into math, but I like Space.  Plus, what a great tie in to a delicious treat. Special thanks to AmandaW because I suspect she searched for this post after reading something I posted elsewhere. 

Posted Image

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

Special thanks to AmandaW because I suspect she searched for this post after reading something I posted elsewhere. 

If only I had seen it yesterday - we would have made pies too.

That's the downside of looking at the forum with my phone - I miss stuff. And the darn thing re-interprets everything I type.

Haha, what's next? Ides of March pen acquisitions? Does Visconti or Montblanc have a pen model named after Julius Caesar or Brutus?

Being away in the mountains and without my usual electronic devices (but of course I still have my phone, and an iPad on account of its Logitech-branded cover with an integrated keyboard in case I need to type something more than two sentences) has really helped curb my pen purchasing impulses this week, although it has failed to cut back my alcohol consumption. :(

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

3 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Does Visconti or Montblanc have a pen model named after Julius Caesar or Brutus?

Nope.

But ... Aurora has! Happy Rome Burning Day.:sick:

😆

One life!

Wait! The Ides of March is tomorrow, well today. But no, no more pens to buy this month. 

Posted Image

Well I bought a pen yesterday but only because that's the day it came up at auction. A coral red Waterman 52. That's it for this month. Had to buy a new refrigerator, and that really ate into the pen budget. 

I had completely forgotten about Pi Day until a friend of ours posted something about it on FB yesterday.  Dinner last night was supposed to have been a pot pie from the freezer, but apparently it had thawed and then refroze and when I nuked it up for dinner it overcooked to the point of being burnt, so I could only choke down a couple of bites.

Fortunately though, I have nerdy friends.  And last night after choir rehearsal, a bunch of pies were served (both regular and gluten free varieties), and I had a slice of apple pie (with a little Reddi-whip on top) for dessert.... :thumbup:

Athough I need to remember to ask my husband if they did any specials for Pi Day at the food booth he's running this week....  They've done stuff in the past, but of course he spent since Saturday trying to get stuff unpacked from the Conex box and everything set up -- including making face shields for the counter area -- while also trying to do prep shopping and dealing with the water pressure issues in the RV he's renting to stay in on site....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 3/15/2022 at 10:12 AM, InesF said:

Happy Rome Burning Day.:sick:

The fame of the ‘Ides of March’ is because it was the day on which Brutus et al murdered Julius Caesar in 44BCE.

So, it would be ‘Killing Julie Day’, rather than ‘Rome (Is) Burning Day’.

The ‘Great Fire of Rome’ happened while Nero was Emperor - it started on July 19th in 64CE and it burned for just over a week, destroying about 2/3 of the city. Nero blamed the city’s Christian community for starting it, and then initiated the first Roman persecution of that community.

He of course was rebelled-against only four years later, in 68CE.
After a brief period of increasing instability, and open rebellion by a couple of provincial governors, he was abandoned by his guards, and on 09th June 68CE he got one of his personal secretaries to kill him (as he couldn’t bring himself to commit suicide).

Or at least that is what a couple of Roman Senators writing after-the-fact tell us about his death.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

I think it's so funny that "Beware the Ides of March" is in everybody's collective knowledge out to Shakespeare.  Because saying "Beware of March 14th" just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it? :lol:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 11 months later...

Pi Day Alert

Pi Day is coming soon, and is on a Tuesday. I’m doubting I’ll buy a pen this year. But a pie, that sounds like a good idea.  Meaning buy the pie. I’m not great at crusts. 

I’ve already bought several pens. I meant to scale back on pen buying. Basically I’d have to stay off the internet to achieve that. However, that’s unrealistic because I like it too much here. Maybe instead I could get something that holds pens, notebooks, etc. like a Delfonics pouch. 

Posted Image

I want to celebrate Pi day because I love Pi and I love Pie (and pens of course), but I'm afraid I don't qualify on the basis of 'March 14th'.

My date always reads as 14/3 on that day...! 😲

But I recently found one vintage pen I've decided I would, 'die in a ditch' for!! And that sale could take place close to Pi day!

I'm too scared to tell what it is in case I jinx myself!😅 If I do get it you'll be the first to know @Misfit

PITom

πTom

I need a piece of Walk-Away Pie. My financial spending on new pens and inks has been out-of-control these past three months; as has the amount of time I've wasted on reddit (which is probably the only reason why I haven't “wasted” as much time on FPN). Nothing really changes except my feelings about the hobby and the community, my bank balance, and the general tone of “social media” around what is supposed to be an individual pursuit but with everyone coming to voluntarily share (i.e. giving, not just taking) a bit of what they've come to discover at their personal expense. I'm not really helping “encourage” others, on FPN or on reddit, to spend more of their money and/or their effort to discover stuff, and then share some proportion of that useful information, including in ways they think information should be better organised for users like themselves (so that they'll have “missed the boat” to benefit, but at least someone else they identify with could, at their expense/investment).

It sucks. At least that's how I feel.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

2 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

I need a piece of Walk-Away Pie. My financial spending on new pens and inks has been out-of-control these past three months; as has the amount of time I've wasted on reddit (which is probably the only reason why I haven't “wasted” as much time on FPN).

Oh. Sorry to hear that.

I've been on a bit of a bender too, but without so much damage since my splurges have all been secondhand or Chinese (seven since Friday :blush:). I don't frequent reddit - it's too er... boisterous... for me. And FPN being so quiet naturally limits the time spent to something kinda reasonable. A way to have Pi without too much pie. A balanced pi-ette... :rolleyes:

ETA. Hmmm... make that eight. Can't count either.

I don't get it but I'm not that bright🤪

..I'm going out on a limb for 31st of April..:eureka:

pitom

πTom

58 minutes ago, Pale.Ink.Tom said:

I don't get it but I'm not that bright🤪

..I'm going out on a limb for 31st of April..:eureka:

pitom

UK dates are day/month, and 22/7 is the approximation for Pi that every schoolchild used to be taught.