Best Pen to put in US Army uniform

phanofphysics

US Army members of the FP community, what’s your favorite pen to put in your OCP pen pocket? I recently bought the all black Lamy Safari since my command is pretty strict on pens being all black and although it does not fit in the pocket, and being a lifelong user of Jinhao pens, I instantly fell in love with it. What are some of the pens you like to keep in that pocket?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• Tasmith

• TitoThePencilPimp

• Karmachanic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not in the Army and not even American myself, but if you're a lifelong user of Jinhao pens and need something all black and with robust construction, the Jinhao 35 (which is cylindrical and slender) comes in matt black, the HongDian 1850 Black Forest (also large cylindrical and relatively slender, but with a textured barrel), HongDian 6013 (shaped somewhat like a Faber-Castell e-Motion), HongDian A3 (matt black variant, slightly contoured in shape, with striations in sunk relief lengthwise on the pen body), HongDian 517D (with more heft, and a rubberised finish), etc. probably merit looking into.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Not in the military either. If you have the funds, a Karas Kustoms in black is available. If you have never shopped from them, they have a 15% off coupon for new shoppers. 

You get to select the pen color, the section color/material, and the nib size. The pens are machined aluminum. 

Posted Image

Also not in the military, but I would get one of these from Karas:

INK V2 | Machined Fountain Pen | Made in USA | Karas Pen Co (karaskustoms.com)

They are made in the USA (everything but the nib itself) and are available in a number of colors/finishes. I think they have the industrial/utilitarian - but in a pleasant way - look you may be trying to find. FWIW - I have this in solid copper which while very heavy look and feels great.

There is also this one:

Ultra Black Frag INK V2 Fountain Pen | Karas Pen Co. (karaskustoms.com)

which has an interesting section.

20 hours ago, phanofphysics said:

it does not fit in the pocket,

I don't have an OCP pen pocket.  Too wide? Too long?  By how much?  What fits?

Add lightness and simplicate.

Not US or military.

Maybe a Kaweco AL Sport in black or a Liliput black? They are metallic and small. The Liliput is thin and small.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

How about a vintage Sheaffer with a military clip? It's specifically designed so the clip is hidden behind the pocket flap (assuming US military uniforms still have them).

• 2 weeks later...

Since the government issue Skillcraft ballpoint pen is black with a silver clip and knock, I would think any black (or black cap) fountain pen with a silver clip that fit would be fine.  A black Pelikan m205 or a black Pilot Decimo might work.

I went to the military clothing sales at Ft. Myer to see if a girthy pen would fit the pen pocket on the OCP sleeve.  I used a Uniball Signo RT-1 that is 10.9mm and it fit easily into the pen pocket.  Next time I go to military sales, I'll bring my Pelikan M200 and Pilot Decimo to see how well they fit.

Tested out three pens in the OCP sleeve pen pocket:

Wing Sung 698 fit, but snug.  Max cap diameter is 13.75mm.

Pelikan M200 fit, a bit less snug.  Max cap diameter is just over 13mm.

Pilot Decimo slipped right in.  Max diameter 12mm.

The pen pockets are very long, so even the longest pen the Wing Sung 698 at 142mm easily fit in length.

A side note, I have noticed many Soldiers with Fisher Space pens.

Many makers sold military pen sets during WWII. Here's one from a current eBay listing. (I wonder why there as a 20% tax on the pen set? Maybe something to do with rationing and perhaps a surcharge on "luxury" items?)

large.Military.png.e6574664378e6516403f68a64c2c5d03.png

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Absolutely a Fisher Space Pen made here in Nevada.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Although a lowly cadet, I use generic black click pens in my OCP pen pockets. I like my nice stuff too much to lose them partaking in the activities that you generally would do in such a uniform. Something like a preppy would probably be what I would use if I were so inclined to use an FP in less than ideal conditions.

The current setup

1. Conid Regular AntwerpPen/Naginata Cross Concord- Sailor Nioi-Sumire (two years and counting!)

2. 1920-something Wahl-Eversharp BCHR Oversize Gold Seal/Manifold- Aurora Black

3. Pelikan M800 Tortoise/O3B- Kobe Ginza gold sepia

1936 Vacumatic Oversize Brown Pearl- Rest in (several) pieces. You will be missed!

I’ve sent a lot of Olive Jotters to a friend in the 82nd Airborne. 

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

You might also try a vintage pen with a "military" cllp, which allows the pen to adhere to regulations (WWII era, that is) by placing the clip flush with the cap of the pen so that the pen does not poke above a pocket.

I have a WWII era Waterman Commando (which was marketed to the military). It writes perfectly and is one of my favorite pens.

commando.jpeg

Royce O'Rourke - Realtor! is now available in

PRINT