What exactly is this ?

KandyPenz

This recently completed ebay auction shows a wired looking item labelled as a vintage no name fountain pen. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115285995775

As you can see it is incomplete with no feed or nib. Patent date listed on the description must be for the VV style clip based on the dates. 

My first guess was that this is a holder for a thermometer. Although it looks a bit too big for that. Also the vent holes in the cap looks more like a pen than that of a case.  

It got the wrong shape for a c1880 pen . although the forward half is somewhat ok, bottom half looks more like something from 1940s.

Is this a pen from the late 1800s or something else all together ?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dipper

• shalitha33

• KandyPenz

Top Posters In This Topic

Viewing from the UK, eBay.com shows only....

.... "THIS ITEM IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE".

No pictures visible.

That's a pity. I love a good mystery.

Could it be something like this ?

large_bsp2.jpg.3ea80beb7c782fb26a09f99fc61909a1.jpg

large_bsp1.jpg.98a8400e6de72bcfe452e4f5f974a560.jpg

That said I'm unsure what a 'Baking Soda Pen' is .

Sorry about posting a link to a live listing before :(  Edited the post to remove and replace with the 2 images.

"Arm and Hammer" (as engraved on the black pen body) is a brand of Baking Soda. Still in production today. An advertising give-away promotion?

A casing for a glass pen. Protects the fragile glass pen from breakage when carried?

Something similar..?

spacer.png

This one is not a glass pen though. (Writes 10,000 words with one filling!) The two pen tips in the old advert above look like the slim metal tube at the tip of a "stylograph" pen.

10 minutes ago, dipper said:

"Arm and Hammer" (as engraved on the black pen body) is a brand of Baking Soda. Still in production today.

A casing for a glass pen?

Sorry I have no idea about glass pens as I haven't used one :(.
Amount of threads in that section doesn't look like something that's meant to be opened that often.

I think the idea was that you use the glass pen with it held inside the protective casing. Just pull off and post the "point" cover.

• 4 weeks later...

I think this is actually a pen.

I ended up buying it and when checking inside the section I can see hard rubber deforming due to the pressure. I would have expected inner part of the section to look perfectly round if it was a holder for a removable piece.

When checking the section I can see where the nib once was and its orientation. I'm expecting it to be an underfeed pen. I would expect the nib to be about the same size as a vintage waterman 100 year (size 18) nib. inside the section part that connect with the nib looks to be a thin inset that looks removable. it may have been a friction it nib unit may be ? its too thin to knock out without having a feed in there.

Other end of the section screwing in to the barrel is also threaded from the inside. It doesn't go through the entire length of the long threaded bit that's visible. it is threaded for about half of that length.

Strap around the cap holding the clip looks to be leather. There is some sort of an imprint on the clip but its half filled in with lacquer and is not readable.