Top Indian pens list

Harish N V

Hi all, 

My fountain pen collection is about 80% Indian and I am mentioning my top 5. I also want to collect more Indian pens and it would be helpful if people can add theirs. 

Here is my list

1) ranga giant 9b with a ranga nib in fine. Love the craftsmanship and the nib which is a balance between smoothness and feedback. 

2) gama supreme with a fine point. 

A lovely pen that has a great size and nib

3) ranga model 8 . A lovely everyday carry pen and coupled with an EF nib can work wonders on a variety of papers. 

4) ratnam pens. This was a recent hit. I don't know the model name. But loved it's simplicity and the number 5 nib. 

5) ranga model 5 in regular acrylic. This is my only ranga in acrylic. Lovely M nib and great grip section. Love using this as an ED. The acrylic feels lighter than ebonite and I enjoy the size and weight of this pen. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Harish N V

• sansenri

• hari317

• Doug C

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes. In a way. But the lovely part of these pens is that the barrel is only three fourths of the bottom section. Hence the ink capacity is not equal to the length of the barrel. Hope the picture below helps. 

IMG_20211207_085326.thumb.jpg.1007b9203dd82aa7321141668a7484ba.jpgIMG_20211207_084720.thumb.jpg.3bea657edd963b498b4c68d03fb63450.jpg

Hard to pick five specific pens, but I like my Guider Jumbo-sized pens and my Kim Jumbos the most. Woodex 39 is another favourite. 

My current favorite 5 Indian pens; the ones I use most; (in no particular order):

1) Beena Proton

2) Click Aristocrat

3) ASA Patriot (with German nib)

4) Ranga Duofold (with German nib)

5) Guider medium pens (with German nib)

As you can see, 3 of the above have German nib units. If they are to be excluded, then my list will be:

1) Beena Proton

2) Click Falcon

3) Kanwrite Desire

4) Mohi Aura New model

5) Beena Antic

There are many more that I like using, but did not make the list.

Although I like 'Indian' pens (and there are many that I like), my most favorite pens (the ones that I use and enjoy the most) are: (1) Lamy Aeon, and (2) Pilot Prera.

5 hours ago, K Singh said:

Hard to pick five specific pens, but I like my Guider Jumbo-sized pens and my Kim Jumbos the most. Woodex 39 is another favourite. 

Can you send me some pictures if possible and tell me where I can purchase Kim jumbos? 

5 minutes ago, bestillmysoul said:

My current favorite 5 Indian pens; the ones I use most; (in no particular order):

1) Beena Proton

2) Click Aristocrat

3) ASA Patriot (with German nib)

4) Ranga Duofold (with German nib)

5) Guider medium pens (with German nib)

As you can see, 3 of the above have German nib units. If they are to be excluded, then my list will be:

1) Beena Proton

2) Click Falcon

3) Kanwrite Desire

4) Mohi Aura New model

5) Beena Antic

There are many more that I like using, but did not make the list.

Although I like 'Indian' pens (and there are many that I like), my most favorite pens (the ones that I use and enjoy the most) are: (1) Lamy Aeon, and (2) Pilot Prera.

I like your list. I will be purchasing a peoton sometime soon. I really like the size. 

If I am to put my extended list apart from Indian pens, I would go for a waterman graduate, a vintage Parker 45 with a gold nib and a sheaffer award. 

2 minutes ago, Harish N V said:

Can you send me some pictures if possible and tell me where I can purchase Kim jumbos? 

Also tell me where I can get woodex pens. 

You can get all the Woodex pen details along with contact information in this post by hari317 Sir. Check out the attached files in the first post

The Kim Jumbos are no longer available with any Indian seller. I myself am trying to get them in different designs and colours. 

You can find their pictures on kiwipens.com and since Kiwipens only sells internationally you can ask any relative/friends abroad to get that pen for you, in case you really want it.

I really love Indian pens especially ebonite, although they are not always so easy to get in EU.

I have quite a number of Ranga pens and it is really difficult to pick favourites.

From an ergonomic point of view I have favourite shapes, in those pens that usually do not show a step from barrel to section, so among the Ranga, favourite shapes are Ranga 3, 8, 8B, Emperor. More recently I also discovered that the Abhimanyu is very comfortable despite the slight step.

Despite the high number of Ranga pens I own, there is one Indian pen I am particularly fond of, and it is a Deccan.

There is just something about it that makes it a perfect classic (what's more, it's threaded to hold Pelikan nibs!)

Some Asa and Gama pens I own are very good too, both the Gama Eyas and the Asa Genius are very nice pens.

If access to Deccan, Ratnam and Guider were easier I'd probably own more!

Here is the Deccan Majazlarge.681795151_P1200438-3DeccanMajaz.jpg.992f16a6340b1766ea71e1aeee8ec45d.jpg

This is the Gama Eyas (with an Omas nib)

large.1720141971_P1180766-3GamaEyaswithOmas18knib.jpg.78b34aa13c4f67d840b4337c958693ca.jpg

This is the Asa Genius

large.636956689_P1160533-3AsaGenius.jpg.25f5e417b6ddca0da57c4ef7c2800fc6.jpg

And here just my Ranga 8Bs...
large.1944121915_P1190178-3Ranga8Bs.jpg.cf43f1b63e3b140336af02bda2115ed3.jpg

8 hours ago, sansenri said:

I really love Indian pens especially ebonite, although they are not always so easy to get in EU.

I have quite a number of Ranga pens and it is really difficult to pick favourites.

From an ergonomic point of view I have favourite shapes, in those pens that usually do not show a step from barrel to section, so among the Ranga, favourite shapes are Ranga 3, 8, 8B, Emperor. More recently I also discovered that the Abhimanyu is very comfortable despite the slight step.

Despite the high number of Ranga pens I own, there is one Indian pen I am particularly fond of, and it is a Deccan.

There is just something about it that makes it a perfect classic (what's more, it's threaded to hold Pelikan nibs!)

Some Asa and Gama pens I own are very good too, both the Gama Eyas and the Asa Genius are very nice pens.

If access to Deccan, Ratnam and Guider were easier I'd probably own more!

Here is the Deccan Majazlarge.681795151_P1200438-3DeccanMajaz.jpg.992f16a6340b1766ea71e1aeee8ec45d.jpg

This is the Gama Eyas (with an Omas nib)

large.1720141971_P1180766-3GamaEyaswithOmas18knib.jpg.78b34aa13c4f67d840b4337c958693ca.jpg

This is the Asa Genius

large.636956689_P1160533-3AsaGenius.jpg.25f5e417b6ddca0da57c4ef7c2800fc6.jpg

And here just my Ranga 8Bs...
large.1944121915_P1190178-3Ranga8Bs.jpg.cf43f1b63e3b140336af02bda2115ed3.jpg

They are of course beauties. Lovely patterns and shape. Iam yet to try a Deccan and there have been strong recommendations from many and I have to get  one for sure. I really like the section of the Deccan Majaz. Very exciting that, you have an OMAS nib on the Eyas. 

I really appreciate the torpedo designs from Ranga ( 8,8B, splendour and the 9B series). The grip sections are so well made and really comfortable and the torpedo contributes very well to the balance without being too heavy on the back. On that count my favorite is the giant 9b. 

8 hours ago, Doug C said:

My beauties.

20220305_105002.jpg

Thanks for your pictures. Iam able to recognize three of them ( Ranga Sugarcane, 8b and 9B) . What are the other two. I guess one of them is a Ratnam/ Ratnam sons. 

Iam yet to add the sugarcane to my collection. I have tried out a giant Bamboo and really liked the workmanship on it. Iam putting the giant sugarcane on my wish list. 

9 minutes ago, Harish N V said:

Thanks for your pictures. Iam able to recognize three of them ( Ranga Sugarcane, 8b and 9B) . What are the other two. I guess one of them is a Ratnam/ Ratnam sons. 

Iam yet to add the sugarcane to my collection. I have tried out a giant Bamboo and really liked the workmanship on it. Iam putting the giant sugarcane on my wish list. 

The green is a Peyton st Pens/ZAYANTE/Ranga.

The brown Ebonite pencil holder is a Wancher/Ranga. It says MAHATMA Limited 1941.

the Danitrio Fellowship

5 minutes ago, Doug C said:

The green is a Peyton st Pens/ZAYANTE/Ranga.

The brown Ebonite pencil holder is a Wancher/Ranga. It says MAHATMA Limited 1941.

Ok. Iam hearing of this pencil holder for the first time. And also the engraving on it. 

20 hours ago, Harish N V said:

Very exciting that, you have an OMAS nib on the Eyas. 

The Eyas has turned out to be a very nice nib holder, it takes most size 6 nibs without problems, the feed is working well, I did not have to heat set it, and the Omas is not the only nib that fits, Bock seems to fit too.

Of course it is an eyedropper, but I do enjoy the good flow of eyedropper pens.

On 3/6/2022 at 3:42 AM, Harish N V said:

I really appreciate the torpedo designs from Ranga ( 8,8B, splendour and the 9B series). The grip sections are so well made and really comfortable and the torpedo contributes very well to the balance without being too heavy on the back. On that count my favorite is the giant 9b. 

in case you have reasonably big hands I'd recommend you to take a look also at the Ranga Splendour.

It comes in 3 different shapes and one of them is essentially a blown up 8B, as opposed to the 9B, the Splendour also has a grown up section, the whole pen is larger!

I have just ordered one, despite I don't have big hands, but I think the version with the hourglass section is still a bearable size for me to hold.

The one I ordered will have a size 8 titanium nib, which is the reason I could not resist getting one.