Noodler's House Divided

yazeh

A very unusual looking ink, hovering between dull purple and brown/grey/black. It's quite a neutral colour. The writing experience is quite pleasant. 
Ink is wet and lubricated and fast drying.  I won't recommend this ink for a very wet pen, though.

Ink is fast drying. There might be ghosting with a wet/ wide nib like most bulletproof nibs. 

Rinsing is easy. However, the pink/ red component might stick around a bit like most pink/red inks (bulletproof or not) But overall it is much more easier that Sailor Jentle Grenade or Herbin Rose Cyclamen or Sheaffer Skrip red.

Ink's title is a cautionary tale of these times of division we live in and is inspired by Sam Houston and Abraham Lincoln, which I "assume" was take from the New Testament
Most writing are done with a Kanwrite Ultra flex, a wet pen. 
Midori

large.Midroi.jpeg.6f37e62017ea7a27b28f3260a1085953.jpeg

TR 68 gr

large.897442713_HDT68.jpeg.25d5c3d95850cdd4a3fd4021ba3154b8.jpeg

HP 32 Paper

large.1639043324_HDHP32.jpeg.6c889aa6e4a49f49b0c374aabd6cd865.jpeg

Ink comparaion

large.1342702137_HDComparasion.jpeg.3fc7838b596bd28786e08b4f7b18ecba.jpeg

This text is on TR 68 gr, written with a #6 fude nib (text is from the Song of Songs, translated by Chana and Ariel Bloch)

large.guess.jpeg.f2ed9aa90663fe8a538cbfcdb0949954.jpeg

A sketch with an Ef nib...

large.1483281350_Sketch-Hand.jpeg.7dee231d68106632aca3a6ee62634ffc.jpeg

Water test - Left side was under running water....Note how red and blue separate....

large.1315373013_Stripes1.jpeg.167f60190a0809ef4e3ce1c07bf47fde.jpeg

Ink wash on MIdori water colour paper

large.1844256929_guess1.jpeg.494406fa83c54683b51c55edd124eb92.jpeg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• LizEF

• axialix

• lapis

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review, @yazeh! :)  It sounds a little like KWZ Brown Pink - a color between colors.  Interesting that a Noodler's is easier to clean than a Sailor, Herbin, or Sheaffer ink - just shows Noodler's gets a bad rap in general when folk ought to focus on individual inks.  Does that sketch mean you're a lefty?  :)  (You've probably mentioned that before, but I can't keep track of these things.)

45 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Great review, @yazeh! :)  It sounds a little like KWZ Brown Pink - a color between colors.

Yes. It's an unusual colour. A bit like General of the Armies and Rome burning. 

Interesting that a Noodler's is easier to clean than a Sailor, Herbin, or Sheaffer ink - just shows Noodler's gets a bad rap in general when folk ought to focus on individual inks

There's something in the pink/red dye, which is nightmare to clean, with the above mentioned inks... There are some difficult Noodler's inks to clean but nothing like that red dye...

.  Does that sketch mean you're a lefty?  :)  (You've probably mentioned that before, but I can't keep track of these things.)

Yep!' Proud lefty :D

2 minutes ago, yazeh said:

There's something in the pink/red dye, which is nightmare to clean, with the above mentioned inks... There are some difficult Noodler's inks to clean but nothing like that red dye...

Yes, I finally cleaned Private Reserve Infinity Red out of a Platinum cartridge, and it stained it (looks like there's a seem where one bit of plastic is inserted into the cartridge (at the opening), and the ink got in there, and even the ultrasonic cleaner and pen flush wouldn't get it out.  I finally just gave up.  Reds are a bear!

3 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Yep!' Proud lefty :D

👍 <-- left thumb  :D

43 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Yes, I finally cleaned Private Reserve Infinity Red out of a Platinum cartridge, and it stained it (looks like there's a seem where one bit of plastic is inserted into the cartridge (at the opening), and the ink got in there, and even the ultrasonic cleaner and pen flush wouldn't get it out.  I finally just gave up.  Reds are a bear!

For stains, I soak them in Doyou :D

33 minutes ago, yazeh said:

For stains, I soak them in Doyou :D

Not worth it for a cartridge, but I do plan to get a Vanness-size sample of both this and Noodler's Eel Rattler Red just to test them as stain removers. :)

Thanks for this nice review. I also like your initial information especially about how it writes. "What it looks like" is also always interesting and this ink, to me, also has that "historic" approach, maybe even a "biblical" touch. I know, I know, they didn't have fountain pen ink at that time....

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Great review! I really like the look of this ink. I can't believe how many colors showed up in the wash. Incredible!

"O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever." Psalm 118:29

6 hours ago, LizEF said:

Not worth it for a cartridge, but I do plan to get a Vanness-size sample of both this and Noodler's Eel Rattler Red just to test them as stain removers. :)

Vanness has the best samples!

3 hours ago, lapis said:

Thanks for this nice review. I also like your initial information especially about how it writes. "What it looks like" is also always interesting and this ink, to me, also has that "historic" approach, maybe even a "biblical" touch. I know, I know, they didn't have fountain pen ink at that time....

Thank you lapis :)

1 hour ago, axialix said:

Great review! I really like the look of this ink. I can't believe how many colors showed up in the wash. Incredible!

Thanks! I thought you would find this ink a worth canditate for your exquisite washes. :)

I had some difficulties to control the ink and if memory serves me right it didn't react to bleach :)

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

Thank you lapis :)

Thanks! I thought you would find this ink a worth canditate for your exquisite washes. :)

I had some difficulties to control the ink and if memory serves me right it didn't react to bleach :)

I'd love to try this one. It's a bit more expensive than the normal Noodler's inks, not sure why. But no reaction to bleach? I've read that this ink is water resistant, but your test shows some of it clearly separating out. I'm just curious how dry it was when you did the bleach test?

"O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever." Psalm 118:29

This looks a really nice colour. Reminds me a bit of my beloved MB Swan Illusion - more saturated of course, but still looks like a member of the same family. Nice… this one goes on the wanted list.

1 hour ago, namrehsnoom said:

This looks a really nice colour. Reminds me a bit of my beloved MB Swan Illusion - more saturated of course, but still looks like a member of the same family. Nice… this one goes on the wanted list.

I knew you would be intrigued by it. The ink doesn't shade unless with very wide nibs. But its character shows up when used in art. But one must act fast, as the ink is waterproof. So, it's a bit trickier to manipulate for novices like me :)

5 hours ago, axialix said:

I'd love to try this one. It's a bit more expensive than the normal Noodler's inks, not sure why. But no reaction to bleach? I've read that this ink is water resistant, but your test shows some of it clearly separating out. I'm just curious how dry it was when you did the bleach test?

This and most of the Russian series are more expensive. But a sample from Vanness can go a long way, enough to know if you want to use it.

To be honest I don't remember, when I added a bleach. I believe the ink was not dry. This was done shortly after you posted your Nick Stewart washes. Maybe I should give it another go.

Some of Nooder's bulletproof inks, do separate with water. Akhmatova for ex, which is a complex ink. Rome is Burning, (which Nick used in his video) and the other is General of the Armies. Though the green will disappear over time into blue.  I believe you might be intrigued by Pasternak too.

40 minutes ago, yazeh said:

This and most of the Russian series are more expensive. But a sample from Vanness can go a long way, enough to know if you want to use it.

To be honest I don't remember, when I added a bleach. I believe the ink was not dry. This was done shortly after you posted your Nick Stewart washes. Maybe I should give it another go.

Some of Nooder's bulletproof inks, do separate with water. Akhmatova for ex, which is a complex ink. Rome is Burning, (which Nick used in his video) and the other is General of the Armies. Though the green will disappear over time into blue.  I believe you might be intrigued by Pasternak too.

I've looked at your review of the Pasternak several times. Those greens and purples are pretty nice. 👍

46 minutes ago, axialix said:

I've looked at your review of the Pasternak several times. Those greens and purples are pretty nice. 👍

:blush:

LOL. I was referring to the chroma:

large.Chroma.jpeg.4020adffab242b06976ca3f8d28d8611.jpeg

29 minutes ago, axialix said:

LOL. I was referring to the chroma:

Yes, I got it! The chroma is amazing!

I like the look of this one a lot. It looks close to how I imagine R&K SketchInk Thea looks. Would be interesting to see a comparison. 

Thanks for showing us. Always enjoy seeing your beautiful and unique handwriting!

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

7 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

I like the look of this one a lot. It looks close to how I imagine R&K SketchInk Thea looks. Would be interesting to see a comparison. 

I don't have Thea, unfortunately. But it looks quite close. 

7 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Thanks for showing us. Always enjoy seeing your beautiful and unique handwriting!

:blush: