Ream of Paper in Box

Poetman

Does anyone know of companies--besides Southworth--that sell a ream of paper in a box? Older reams used to come in a cardboard box, and often the bottom portion had a useful cutout to pick up paper when it ran low. Does anyone else still do this?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Poetman

• Gloucesterman

• A Smug Dill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're looking for just a ream at a time in this box? Not for a cardboard carton containing multiple (10?) reams?

If the former, maybe investing in a paper tray (like this) might be the ticket.

Personally, I've received boxes from Office Depot's copy center when they have done a job. You may be able to ask them for a box.

If you are looking for something nice that keeps the dust away, this might work: https://www.containerstore.com/s/office/paper-file-storage/bigso-marten-grey-office-storage-boxes/12d?productId=10037465&country=US&currency=USD&utm_source=tcscompshop&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=google-organic&cid=cse|evergreen|office > paper-file-storage|google-organic

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Daiso sells clear-ish plastic boxes that are designed to hold paper. They have a top that slips over the bottom half.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

7 hours ago, Poetman said:

Older reams used to come in a cardboard box, and often the bottom portion had a useful cutout to pick up paper when it ran low.

Hmmm, you mean like a ‘tissue elevator’ at the bottom of a box of Kleenex (or some such) facial tissues, that you push into the cavity of the box along the perforated lines and pre-punched folds in the cardboard? I've never seen that before for a box of A4 (or A3) sheets, and I don't imagine it's very good for keeping the unused paper flat.

A stackable inbox-outbox type tray that has no front panel facing the user, perhaps with a cover that fits over the entire thing to keep the dust off, would probably work better; and, yes, I think Daiso is a good place to look for such things.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

You might want to check out Crane Paper Company at www.crane.com.

BTW, these are the people that make the "paper" (not really paper, it's linen) that U.S. currency is printed on.

Oh yes, that's not for sale to "retail" customers.

LOL

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

6 hours ago, OCArt said:

Daiso sells clear-ish plastic boxes that are designed to hold paper. They have a top that slips over the bottom half.

5 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Hmmm, you mean like a ‘tissue elevator’ at the bottom of a box of Kleenex (or some such) facial tissues, that you push into the cavity of the box along the perforated lines and pre-punched folds in the cardboard? I've never seen that before for a box of A4 (or A3) sheets, and I don't imagine it's very good for keeping the unused paper flat.

A stackable inbox-outbox type tray that has no front panel facing the user, perhaps with a cover that fits over the entire thing to keep the dust off, would probably work better; and, yes, I think Daiso is a good place to look for such things.

I started by looking at the Daiso website, but I didn't find what a great box, but the stores have great stuff and you will have fun while shopping there!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

This is the kind of box to which I am referring. Though I realize paper trays exist--and know my aversion is a bit ridiculous--I prefer things on my desk take up the absolute smallest footprint possible! So, I would rather use the cardboard box below and save a few inches of desk space, but I am looking for one sold by a company besides Southworth. il_1588xN.2992930270_amcm.jpg

19 minutes ago, Poetman said:

So, I would rather use the cardboard box below and save a few inches of desk space,

Wouldn't it be easier/better still to not keep a ream of paper on your desktop, if space there is at a premium?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

57 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Wouldn't it be easier/better still to not keep a ream of paper on your desktop, if space there is at a premium?

Based on the image posted it seems that any box that is the right sized can be modified to provide easy access to the "lower" sheets. A couple of cuts with a pair of scissors or a cutting blade and it's done.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

1 minute ago, Gloucesterman said:

Based on the image posted it seems that any box that is the right sized can be modified to provide easy access to the "lower" sheets. A couple of cuts with a pair of scissors or a cutting blade and it's done.

I never thought of that. Any idea where to find a heavier weight cardboard box of similar measurements? Staples/Kinkos boxes are thin and cheap. 

9 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

I started by looking at the Daiso website, but I didn't find what a great box,

I was thinking of something like this, which I've actually seen in the Daiso stores here in Sydney:

331e5b28.jpg9651c8d1.jpg

Source: http://blog.livedoor.jp/styling21p/archives/5723973.html

2 minutes ago, Poetman said:

I never thought of that. Any idea where to find a heavier weight cardboard box of similar measurements? Staples/Kinkos boxes are thin and cheap. 

Are you near any good stationery stores? I would think they would be available there. Also, if you do not need a cover, you could use a top OR bottom. If you are comfortable doing so, you could take a larger box and modify it to accommodate the paper.

Finally, what about  "Etsy" or the "Container Store"? They may even have something online.

Wishing you success...

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

I was thinking of something like this, which I've actually seen in the Daiso stores here in Sydney:

331e5b28.jpg9651c8d1.jpg

Source: http://blog.livedoor.jp/styling21p/archives/5723973.html

That A4 box is what I have in blue.

Conqueror.JPG

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill

• 3 weeks later...

This may be a really stupid thing to post - and I apologise if it is - but:

Couldn’t you just re-use your current Southworth cardboard box?

By all means tear-off/cover-over its ‘Southworth’ branding, but just re-fill it with a ream of whatever paper takes your fancy. No?

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

• 5 weeks later...

No, it’s a very wise recommendation. I have been, but it’s a bit beat up, so I was looking for something in better shape

How about taking the box and covering over it with papers (I did this with old pen reviews and white glue), I used old boxes and made them look great.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 7:41 AM, Poetman said:

No, it’s a very wise recommendation. I have been, but it’s a bit beat up, so I was looking for something in better shape

I just saw this and thought of you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165325340173?hash=item267e287e0d:g:oB8AAOSwCEpiAxie