Gravitas Pocket Pen (Brass) Review (vs Kaweco STEEL Sport for comparison)

maclink

I recently came across a YouTube review video for the Gravitas Pocket Pen, the main highlight being the precision engineering.  I love precision in engineering so, on this basis, I decided to try one at £75.  I got the brass version and have been using it daily for the last 2 weeks.  The pen is quite similar to a Kaweco Sport, so I couldn't help but compare it to my, close at hand, Kaweco STEEL Sport (SS) and thought it useful to share my findings.  Afterall, the Kaweco Sport is a popular pen and seeing them side by side can offer a lot of insight into the Gravitas Pocket Pen if you're considering getting yourself one.

My Gravitas Pen arrived very unassumingly in a plastic bag.  Within the plastic bag was a small PU leather sleeve with the pen in it.    It also came with 5 small Pelikan blue international ink cartridges.

Basic Stats:

Closed length: 100mm  vs   Kaweco SS  107mm

1202666287_gravitas_kaweco_comp-1.thumb.jpeg.64a31f6cc2dec0b6adf7c50a765022b3.jpeg

Posted Length: 140mm  vs  Kaweco SS  126mm

1707277847_gravitas_kaweco_comp-2.thumb.jpeg.55c39fc9bdc96817f9455632c84b55e8.jpeg

Weight: 60g  vs Kaweco SS 42g  (I do have the Kaweco Brass Sport as well .. 40g)

So there's significantly more metal used in the engineering of the Gravitas pen.

To give an idea of weight distribution that will give a good picture of the balance of the Gravitas, the cap weighs in at 30g with the body/section and nib at 30g as well.  In contrast, the Kaweco cap weighs in at 15g and the body section 26g.  The longer length of the posted Gravitas, added to the heavier cap, makes it a more back-weighted pen than the Kaweco.  I prefer the Kaweco in this regard.

As you can see in the photos, the Gravitas comes with a #6 sized Jowo nib vs the #5 sized nib on the Kaweco.   I'm personally indifferent to either, but the Gravitas does create scope for nib interchanges since I have a lot of pens with Jowo #6 nibs.  The larger nib on the Gravitas will of course, appeal to some.

The engineering is indeed impressive with the pen oozing precision in how it's made.  However, the same can be said for the Kaweco.

The cap screws off after just over 2 full rotations and it does screw on securely with no cross-threading incidents.  So far, for me, the cap remains secure with no mysterious loosening while completely undisturbed, a trait of quite a few of my pens.

The cap of the Gravitas has a really neatly etched logo that I think looks great.

1992563687_gravitas_kaweco_comp-9.thumb.jpeg.cb00c570d305a0b6f1ab4a7dea48c9df.jpeg

The section is metal as well, though black in colour, and has an interesting finish to allow for better grip.  See photo below:

800903353_gravitas_kaweco_comp-5.thumb.jpeg.292a249ed323946aba62c66d3c703aa4.jpeg

I found that my fingers had to grow accustomed to the finish in that, initially, after a long writing session, my finger tips felt a tad sore.  But this quickly disappeared with adaptation.

The cap also has a flatted part, clearly designed for roll-stopping.  Another plus for detail:

1406194086_gravitas_kaweco_comp-6.thumb.jpeg.2c1479cf5237b0e94e564beedfa57f25.jpeg

The pen is otherwise quite Spartan in finish with the top and bottoms shown below as compared with the Kaweco:

1359987790_gravitas_kaweco_comp-7.thumb.jpeg.5f81897eab04567038a7c5777d61b879.jpeg

247218646_gravitas_kaweco_comp-8.thumb.jpeg.77ae8bde713db591a848b06df09ac827.jpeg

The Gravitas will only take a small sized international ink cartridge.  There is no room for a converter, a clear tradeoff for the pocket-sized format.

Posting the pen, for me, is the weak point of the Gravitas.  There are two aspects I thought worth mentioning:

- The first is how deeply the cap posts.  I would have much preferred if the cap posted about a cm deeper to allow for a better balance.   

- The second aspect of the posting is that it's all metal on metal.  This makes the security of the posting not that good.  With that said, the precision of the engineering makes the cap and body seat so well together that a suction effect holds the cap on even if I hold the pen upside down.  However, this isn't a secure setup and with a little manipulation, the suction is broken and the cap loosens.  I have this happen quite often while writing.

In contrast, the Kaweco posts more deeply and is superbly balanced in the hand.  The cap also posts more securely and this is likely because of the compromise with using a plastic sleeve within the cap as shown here:

1221994088_gravitas_kaweco_comp-10.thumb.jpeg.d2b062ae6bb71e22b489be55f9c695ea.jpeg

How the pen writes:

The Jowo nib on mine is a M and it was well tuned out of the box and therefore writes pleasantly.  When capped, the pen also seals with no drying out issues so far.  I would be happy using this pen with any inks, including permanent ink formulations.

My overall impression:

Pros:

- Precision engineering with nice logo

- roll-stop facet on the cap that's tastefully designed

- textured section to allow for better grip

- #6 sized Jowo nib

- VERY sturdy.  The only plastic element on this pen is the nib housing.

Cons:

- not the most balanced (though admittedly, this may be a matter of opinion)

- does not post securely enough.

I have enough alternative pens to use that it doesn't take a lot for me to be reluctant to use a pen in my accumulation/collection.  The posting and balance of this pen is what makes me personally give the Kaweco my nod.  The Kaweco is for me, the more ergonomic and the more polished in usability (the same price point as well at £65).  However, considering that the mileage may vary, I think I've provided enough technical info for you to decide.

I would be interested in reading the experience of others.  I do have a Schon DSGN pocket pen as well, and also, prefer it to the Gravitas.  The Schon DSGN has better balance and with metal on metal posting, I prefer the screw on mechanism.  Albeit, it's more pricey at £105.

1392695233_gravitas_kaweco_comp-3.thumb.jpeg.8b7817d8984fba5ebfce1486ecda67a3.jpeg

gravitas_kaweco_comp - 4.jpeg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maclink

• TheDutchGuy

• Doug C

• Surlyprof

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the thorough review and comparison.  As you say, everyone will have their own preferences, but I appreciate the pros and cons as you've outlined them - the cons would probably make this a non-starter for me too.  

The Gravitas Pocket Pen does accept a convertor, Ben Walsh emailed me the link to a third-party who manufactures a convertor that fits the Pocket Pen. 

Otherwise, thanks for the very thorough review, and based on your review, I will order one when I get home this evening. Thank you.

I really like Gravitas, and I have huge respect for Ben, but I just don't get on with them yet. They're just too heavy for me, and although I've really tried, I can't get to grips with the metal section. In fact, I think the only pen I have with any sort of metal section that I genuinely love is my Schon Pocket 6.

I'm hoping that sooner or later one of the new Gravitas Delrin versions will have a lightweight section - even the pretty orange ceracote one is still on steel :(

Thanks for an excellent comparison.

Thank you for the wonderful comparison!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Why is the #6 nib a pro for everyone? It doesn't write better and it looks oversized on such a small pocket pen. 

The pen has to be used with a cartridge - that is a pro since the converter on similar pens is not very ergonomic.

The nib is #6 size Jowo unit which makes it compatible with aftermarket nibs and it has its own characteristic ink flow - not too much, not too little. The pen is an upscale version of a similar pen, one that succeeds the former in every faulty feature that makes it cute, but functionally deficient. Gravitas pen looks like the version for adults, lol.

Almost a winner, IMO.

It needs a clip, should post deeply, and should be long enough to be used briefly unposted.

Basically, I'm still waiting for someone to make a more premium, brass, bronze or copper version of the Delike Alpha.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

8 hours ago, Honeybadgers said:

It needs a clip, should post deeply, and should be long enough to be used briefly unposted.

+1. I’ve tried to deal with clipless pens - and failed. I lose track of them unless they are clipped in my shirt pocket. Otherwise they end up in weird places, sometimes retrieved from a washing machine, sometimes never to be seen again. However, there is hope. The solution is upon us:

large.A46B02E1-F275-4417-90F3-415E6A00ADA5.jpeg.4525d792b7b3e9466e9277a952950669.jpeg

Thanks for a fair, detailed and entertaining review and comparison. @Wolverine1 can you share the info on the converter? I'd like to check if it works for the Sports as well, it might be an alternative option.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

13 hours ago, TheDutchGuy said:

+1. I’ve tried to deal with clipless pens - and failed. I lose track of them unless they are clipped in my shirt pocket. Otherwise they end up in weird places, sometimes retrieved from a washing machine, sometimes never to be seen again. However, there is hope. The solution is upon us:

large.A46B02E1-F275-4417-90F3-415E6A00ADA5.jpeg.4525d792b7b3e9466e9277a952950669.jpeg

I just got this pen in the mail!

the Danitrio Fellowship

• 9 months later...

Thanks for the very thorough review with great images.  I agree with those who feel that the weight may be a dealbreaker for them.  I've found that my sweet spot seems to be between 25 and low-30 gram range (which loosely translates from my Lamy 2000 to my Lamy Aion).  With that in mind, I purchased the Gravitas Grade 5 Titanium pocket pen with the #6 Jowo nib (He just released one with a #8 nib which looks HUGE!).  I wanted a true knockabout pocket pen that I could just toss in my pocket or in a bag when traveling.  So far I love the weight, material and feel of the pen. I think the microgrooves on the section are truly wonderful.  I also agree that the cap does tend to back weight it a bit even on the titanium (probably due to the titanium section).  I can't imagine how much more of an issue that might be with a brass one.  From what I could surmise from his website, I got the impression that the aluminum ones with the stainless section may have a nicer balance posted.  I am only guessing that from the capped vs uncapped weights of both pens.  The reason I went with the titanium was because of the ability to use it as an eyedropper pen and I think the inevitable scratches on raw metals will look better than a scarred up anodized aluminum pen.

I think the titanium will serve the rough and tumble purpose for which it was intended.  I hope to provide a more in depth review after I've traveled with it a while and after I try it out as an eyedropper pen.  The one thing I haven't figured out, since this is my first Jowo nib, is if the flow is too low or correct for a fine nib.  I'm used to Lamys that have pretty heavy lineweights so I only use the Lamy EF for sketching and F for writing.  The #6 Jowo on the Gravitas seems to write almost finer than my Lamy Z56 and Z57 EF gold nibs.  Does that sound right or should I be doing something to increase the flow of the Jowo?

Again, thanks for your wonderful review.

John