Newby looking for community, information, troubleshooting help

Java Jones

Hi! I stumbled over here looking for some troubleshooting help. I looked around a bit and decided this is a good place to learn a lot about fountain pens and the related accoutrements. I saw one troubleshooting post that gives me a starting point to work on my brand new Jinhao 992 that I filled with the converter. The ink flows through the feed but not out the nib. I emptied the converter back into the ink jar and have it and the nib/feed grip section soaking in water. I'll wash it next. I assume at this stage of the learning process it's normal to have ink stains on my fingers. 😁

I have filled out my profile with some basic information about myself. I look forward to learning more about fountain pens, inks, paper, and the people who use them. 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Parker Quink Turquoise

• amberleadavis

• Java Jones

4 minutes ago, Java Jones said:

I assume at this stage of the learning process it's normal to have ink stains on my fingers.

At every stage, I think, is pretty normal. Welcome to FPN, this is the place to learn all the stuff you want to know and more. 

Thanks! 

And I wondered about how long to expect ink stained fingers. Being a bit of a Messy Bessy anyway, I don't expect I'll ever have unstained fingers. 

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! So glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Welcome to FPN, @Java Jones! :)  Glad you've joined us.

12 hours ago, Java Jones said:

The ink flows through the feed but not out the nib.

Just Monday I was reminded of why we always advise folks to clean new pens (preferably with pen flush or at least water + a little dish soap) before the first inking: I inked up a brand new Wing Sung 659 (purchased only to satisfy curiosity about its parts and Pilot pens), and after eternity, the ink still wouldn't flow from the tip of the nib (could get it off the back of the nib, could see it through the transparent feed, but it would not write).  In an effort to continue my laziness, I flossed the tines rather than washing it, and came out with a chunk of gunk, after which the pen wrote just fine. :) :rolleyes::blush:

Greetings from Pittsburgh!  :W2FPN: Java Jones.

Yeah, messy fingers is pretty much a given, and not just for new people (I had to clean my hands two or three times yesterday alone when a pen low on ink was burping into the cap and then of course ended up with ink on the section and threads....  It helps to have a cleaner that includes pumice (I use stuff that's designed for ink removal -- InkZap! -- but suspect that any sort of hand cleaner of that type like GoJo would work too).  

InkZap! is available through Indy-Pen-Dance.com (no affiliation other than as a happy customer because they also have repaired several vintage pens for me at pen shows).

I generally suggest that new people click on the "View New Content" button to get a good overview of a range of topics.  And to check out the pinned Index to the Ink Reviews forum.  

And remember that there are NO stupid questions except the ones that don't get asked.  And I'm continually amazed (even after a decade) at the kindness and generosity of pen people with their time and knowledge (and of course in stuff like "Pay It Forwards").

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hello and welcome to the site,Java Jones.Cute picture with the little bear looking in the waste can.:)

4 hours ago, Parker Quink Turquoise said:

Hello and welcome to the site,Java Jones.Cute picture with the little bear looking in the waste can.:)

That's not a trash can -- that's a take-out coffee cup with one of those slide on cardboard holder sleeves so you don't burn your hand while holding it.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Could very well be,Ruth.Did not think little bears drank coffee though.LOL

19 hours ago, Parker Quink Turquoise said:

Could very well be,Ruth.Did not think little bears drank coffee though.LOL

Guessing you didn't grow up on "Yogi Bear" cartoons....

Bears pretty much eat all sorts of stuff.  A friend of mine told a story about a guy she knows who does cable installation in the town her mom lives in in Eastern PA, and a lot of the residents are causing the game warden to tear his hair out.  Cable guy was on a job and had to go back out to his truck, and there's a bear between him and his truck.  And the homeowner was like "Oh, that's [bear's name] -- she's just here for her ice cream!" and brought out a five gallon tub for the bear!  (While the cable guy is apparently turning white as a sheet, BTW... -- apparently the bear ate 5 gallons DAILY -- and the male bear ate more than 5 gallons....)

Yes, I remember Yogi bear well.Thought he just went after park picnic baskets.LOL