Sailor ProGear Slim M

davidtaylorjr

So I purchased a ProGear Slim with a M nib. I was expecting it to write similar to a Lamy F and Pelikan F, but it seems to be writing much thicker than that. Anyone have any insights?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davidtaylorjr

• A Smug Dill

• TheDutchGuy

• awa54

I'm not sure what your question means; but I certainly hope it doesn't mean, “now that I own the pen and have it in my possession, how do I make it conform to my expectations?”

My Sailor Kabazaiku pen has the same type of 14K gold H-M nib that is fitted in Professional Gear Slim and Profit Standard models, and this is how it writes:

fpn_1565589901__getting_different_line_w

As for my insights: it is self-defeating to set one's expectations using a frame of reference that is not an objective, tested and proven standard, and not something that can be assumed to be consistent for different people (if one expects to discuss something with them premised on having some common ground), or over time, from one production batch to another, or even between units available for sale in the market at the same time.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

3 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

My Sailor Kabazaiku pen has the same type of 14K gold H-M nib that is fitted in Professional Gear Slim and Profit Standard models, and this is how it writes:

Oh yes, my line is much thicker. I'll try to post a writing sample soon. I don't dislike it, I was just surprised...

2 hours ago, davidtaylorjr said:

Oh yes, my line is much thicker.

Keep in mind that, with Sailor's characteristic nib tipping geometry, even on width grades as fine as Medium (or H-M), a ‘typical’ Asian writing angle of 60° between pen and paper results in narrower lines than produced at shallower angles of 45°-50°. Varying the incident angle was how I produced the range of line widths shown in the first four lines of the writing sample.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

6 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Keep in mind that, with Sailor's characteristic nib tipping geometry, even on width grades as fine as Medium (or H-M), a ‘typical’ Asian writing angle of 60° between pen and paper results in narrower lines than produced at shallower angles of 45°-50°. Varying the incident angle was how I produced the range of line widths shown in the first four lines of the writing sample.

so write with the pen more upright?

25 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

so write with the pen more upright?

If and when you want to produce a finer line with the nib.

I have three full size Pro Gears, all with hard medium nibs, and each writes a bit differently.  One writes just like my one Pro Gear hard medium-fine nib with considerable (but not unpleasant) feedback.  One seems like a true Japanese medium with only a hint of feedback.  One leans towards a Japanese broad.

Many have said that Japanese pens in general (or Sailor and Pilot at least) are among the most consistent in the world, as far as quality control of their nibs.  I agree with that.  However, each nib still has a personality.

6 minutes ago, Preserved_Killick said:

I have three full size Pro Gears, all with hard medium nibs, and each writes a bit differently.  One writes just like my one Pro Gear hard medium-fine nib with considerable (but not unpleasant) feedback.  One seems like a true Japanese medium with only a hint of feedback.  One leans towards a Japanese broad.

Many have said that Japanese pens in general (or Sailor and Pilot at least) are among the most consistent in the world, as far as quality control of their nibs.  I agree with that.  However, each nib still has a personality.

I will say this one has almost zero feedback, probably the smoothest writing pen I have.

Is this a new pen?

Both of my PGS have a page feel that's a bit like a pencil, with slight scuffiness or a feel of texture when writing, many people describe modern Sailor gold nibs this way.

If your pen is used, then it's possible a previous owner polished the nib to produce a wider line and/or smoother page feel?

David-

So many restoration projects...

15 minutes ago, awa54 said:

Is this a new pen?

Both of my PGS have a page feel that's a bit like a pencil, with slight scuffiness or a feel of texture when writing, many people describe modern Sailor gold nibs this way.

If your pen is used, then it's possible a previous owner polished the nib to produce a wider line and/or smoother page feel?

Brand new

sample variation is a real thing, even with companies that have excellent QC.

Any chance it's an ink related effect?

David-

6 hours ago, awa54 said:

sample variation is a real thing, even with companies that have excellent QC.

Any chance it's an ink related effect?

Always possible. Currently has the Sailor Black cartridge that came with it.

That's not an ink I'd expect to either enhance flow, or ad lots of glide.

you could go for the glass half full approach and feel lucky that you won the smoothness lottery :D

...in direct response to your "expectation", I would also have been unsurprised to find a Sailor gold nib to write one or two grades thinner than a "typical"* European nib.

*we can debate this all day and the truth is that sample, model and manufacturer variations will always be present, but that doesn't change the fact that on average Japanese nibs are finer writing for a given grade than European nibs.

David-

1 hour ago, awa54 said:

That's not an ink I'd expect to either enhance flow, or ad lots of glide.

you could go for the glass half full approach and feel lucky that you won the smoothness lottery :D

...in direct response to your "expectation", I would also have been unsurprised to find a Sailor gold nib to write one or two grades thinner than a "typical"* European nib.

*we can debate this all day and the truth is that sample, model and manufacturer variations will always be present, but that doesn't change the fact that on average Japanese nibs are finer writing for a given grade than European nibs.

I'm not unhappy with it at all, it has grown on me, was just surprised.

On 2/27/2022 at 6:47 PM, davidtaylorjr said:

I'm not unhappy with it at all, it has grown on me, was just surprised.

You might grow to love it. They’re great nibs.

44 minutes ago, TheDutchGuy said:

You might grow to love it. They’re great nibs.

Oh I'm pretty much already there. I just usually write very tiny but I'm branching out ;)

11 hours ago, davidtaylorjr said:

I just usually write very tiny but I'm branching out ;)

Same here. Love tiny scribbling! But it’s fun to branch out.

Looks like it was just the Sailor Black ink. Put Sailor blue in today and a much finer line was produced.

That’s my favorite blue ink ever. Very well-behaved, good flow, all sorts of shades of blue and awesome red sheen to boost. Enjoy!