Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Silent Movie showing making of Conklin Crescent Fillers, c. 1920?

AAAndrew

On 2/18/2022 at 2:09 PM, Paul-in-SF said:

Wonderful find. I was a little nonplussed when I saw they were using the exact same tool back then to put the sac on the sac nipple that I use today. 100 years and no improvements? I keep hoping someone will invent a 3-pronged tool for that purpose, it would be much easier to use, and they could make tens of dollars from the patent!

Here is your chance.  Those who use the tool are the best to improve it.  I remember the many discussions with the workers and when we put together a proposal for the suggestion box.

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

visit Fountain Pen Design

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kestrel

• Azuniga

• inkstainedruth

• Pen Engineer

Yes, what an amazing find.  More astounding, when I worked in fountain pens, forty odd years ago, many of the tools looked muchly the same.  I guess, a hammer is a hammer.  What has changed?  Less free hand machining, which had been replaced (in my time) with guided tools.  And now: Health and safety would not permit this any more.  Less work, more automation and more unemployed...

On that happy note: I watched it five times.

And on another note:  Some time ago, I found an article in the Scientific American of 1879 on the Fountain Pen Nib Manufacture in the house of A.W. Faber in New York.  A transcript of the article can be found on my website.

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

visit Fountain Pen Design

Pen Engineer

Wonderful material those transcripts on your website, thank you !!

I mentioned them in the Spanish forum for people to visit since they are often asking questions about those subjects...

ALl the best