Tomoe River

Ana_

Ok. Clearly I’m behind the fp & paper world news, Thank You debilitating long covid crud. I just found out 3 hours ago that tomoe River, the only fp paper for me, is dead and maaaaaaannnn, just, fudge!!! I’ve just read some articles, 1 said tomoe’s paper making machine for the, “original recipe” broke so they bought a new machine and it provided links to 2 people who’d already in great detail reviewed the new tomoe recipe to the old, and another article contradicted it saying tomoe went under because of the cost of wood pulp and never did buy a new machine. I’d greatly appreciate any info those of you up to date with this May have on what actually happened and was there a newer machine recipe before they went under? Thank You 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ana_

• mhguda

• A Smug Dill

• KiraC

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

SmugDill, Thank You I haven’t been in here since the site was overhauled and see the search feature is … unchanged… so I read read read and if I’ve got this straight, tr sold to sanzen and San zen is the one producing the fuzzy edged “new tr recipe” paper?

Thank You. 
appreciate it

My understanding is that Sanzen bought the rights to produce and market thin paper products using the Tomoe River name/trademark; and the company has produced and released a product called Tomoe River Successor.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

It’s still readily available, I just bought a pad of the 58, and a notebook and 100 pack of the 68.  Should I be hoarding??  I really love the 68.

1 hour ago, Geslina said:

I just bought a pad of the 58,

Um, is that the 52gsm or the 68gsm?

1 hour ago, Geslina said:

Should I be hoarding??  I really love the 68.

I think you should only buy as much as you think you'll end up using or consuming before you quit using pens, assuming that in the future the same product with the exact features you like will not be as readily available, and/or at the same price or less. That's not to say something better (or of the same quality) will never be available more cheaply in the market; it's anybody's guess as to whether and/or when that will happen.

I hoarded several packs of the 52gsm paper, because there was an opportunity to get them at roughly half the retail price — on account of a use-it-or-lose-it discount voucher for which I could think of no ‘better’ use at the time — but I don't even like Tomoe River FP 52gm (and never did, since the first time I tried it). I have no idea what I'll end up doing with those; most likely, I'll give them to my young ‘nieces’ to draw/doodle on as art paper, since I've introduced them and their mother to fountain pens and inks last year.

I had a seller tell me yesterday that only the 68 changed over to "tr successor" but that 58 hadn't which made no sense to me with what i've read. I'm sure that there's plenty of rumor stories with varying degrees of accuracy or inaccuracy floating around.

Geslina, im not going to lie, the thought of hoarding what i could certainly entered my mind... but current times dictating the message that EVERYTHING is hard to come by and because so many companies are going under, I figured the best thing for me to do was just to treasure the stock i have left, and realize, yet again, that the only constant is change. I know tomoerivergama paper isn't the only most amazing paper out there, but... well.. since i just found out yesterday no more tomoe river.. there's no way im over it yet.. lol sooooo im just going to sit here and be a big crying baby til i'm over it while stroking my remaining stock changing... my precious... my precious ... lol

You need to look for 52gsm paper. There are still places where you can find notebooks, such as Amazon, or Jetpens... and Etsy.

I do think prices are creeping up though. I too am watching it like a hawk.

But also experimenting with new papers, and finding some very nice ones. Happy hunting!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

MHGuda, thank you, i will keep my eyes open. I also got in touch with Ana of GatzBCN out of Barcelona whose hand made journals I love, she has some tr 58 in stock and will be making some more in 6 months (she's a new Mommy😅) So I think i'm going to have her make me a fat 800 page journal... that will be my final luxury written tribute to tomoegawa... *sigh* but you're right, there are other lovely papers out there. I'm fond of Marumen i believe they're called, lovely and smooth. *shoulder shrug*

You're most welcome! and I'm glad to hear Ana of GatzBCN is still making her fat fat journals. Those are a bit too much for me - I get bored with the book at hand before I get to its final page, but still love all papers too much to then switch to a new one... or too disciplined... I find I want to finish the book before starting a new one.

Yes, Maruman is great, and there are other nice papers. For example Brepols (in the Netherlands or Belgium I think) makes nice agendas and planners with a paper that's very similar to TM52. I buy that locally. And there is Cosmo Air Light. And Maruman. And Kokuyo. and and and... Papers from India are also generally nice, and they too tend to be fairly light.

The youtuber InkyRocks got her hands on the Sanzen successor TRP and did a very in-depth evaluation and comparison to the old stuff. As far as she's concerned, the successor is pretty much the same. 

mhguda: brepols for some odd reason has my attention, thank you! i think i'll give them a spin! i find it interesting that you get a bit bored with the same journal if its too thick, im the opposite, i get attached to it and when the last page ends, i'm a bit sad to see it go but excited about cracking open a new one too.

karmachanic: i think i'll check the stalogy out too, thank you

ergative: WOW! thank you for that youtube in-depth review! i guess i'll have to give new tr a try, just buy a small notebook or so to sample it.  maybe i won't even notice a difference! as the fog clears from my shock that tomoegawa original is no more in production, a little exploration is called for.

Happily, it takes all kinds! Nice that you got interested in brepols. I have this year's weekly planner I guess is what it is, on my desk at home, and the paper is really nice. Their planners are the only things I've seen here, but their notebooks look great too.

The switch over to 'new' 52 gsm Tomoe River has already happened.  I just got a JetPens Kanso Noto which uses TR 52 paper, and it's the new stuff.  I use a Hobonichi Cousin for a planner, which has old TR 52 paper, so I can easily compare.  IMO the new TR 52 paper is much closer to Stalogy paper.  It's still great, but not the same.  It's not as soft, and ink dries faster, and sheens less.  Still the best choice available for my preferences.

The Traveler's Notebook size refill #13 notebooks from Traveler's Company sold by JetPens still have the old TR 52 paper.  Well, the ones I received last week did have that paper, anyway.  I think as stock sells out it will roll over to the new TR paper, so I stock up when I find it.  The looseleaf TR 52 paper in A5 size at JetPens was also the old stuff last week.  I think Galen Leather's Everyday A5s are still the old stuff, too, right now.

1 hour ago, KiraC said:

The switch over to 'new' 52 gsm Tomoe River has already happened. 

I'm assuming this is the old "new" Tomoegawa paper and not the new new Sanzen Tomoe paper.

Add lightness and simplicate.

• 1 month later...

I am not sure if Traveler's Company refills #013 contain Tomoe River. I see Jetpens mention It contains white Tomoe River (Tomoegawa) paper, but I remember years ago, some confirmed here that refills #013 paper is not Tomoe River. From my experience, its not, but I bought some of these refills 5 or 6 years ago. Maybe that have changed in recent years.