Montblanc 144 and age determination and remove nib.

Daaf

Hi All! I am a student who wrote with the same FP for many years. However, I wanted something new, so I decided to trade pens so that I could afford it and switch pens more often. I recently bought two Montblancs 144s. The price was good, but I have a few questions regarding the age, nib size and serial number.

1. How can I determen how old my pen is, even if there is no serial number.

2. I want to clean the pen a bit better, but I am not sure how to remove the nib. There is also not a good Youtube video that shows me that. Any ideas?

3. My pen has no serial number. I don't directly suspect the pen to be fake, but I am also not sure what the reason could be and if it's normal.

Attached some pics for reference and age determination. Thank you all very much for your help in advance!

IMG_20220205_121713.jpg

IMG_20220205_121725.jpg

IMG_20220205_121732.jpg

IMG_20220205_121745.jpg

IMG_20220205_122031.jpg

IMG_20220205_122107.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robert Alan

• Daaf

• crescentfiller

• JulieParadise

Hello!  I purchased a burgundy Montblanc 144R for my wife in 1986 and it is quite similar to your black 144.  Her pen does not have a serial number but "Germany" is inscribed on the clip ring--like your pen. The single-tone 14K/585 nib on your pen is like the nib on my wife's pen so I believe your 144 is authentic. Later versions do have a serial number on the clip band and the ink converter for the later versions is threaded and has a spring weight inside to help gravity move ink to the feed nipple.  The early converter was a push-in unit and had no weight inside. It is inscribed "MONT" "BLANC" "GERMANY" with the words beginning with "MONT" over "BLANC" which is over "GERMANY."  Also, the later version of the 144 had a two-tone 14K nib. 

Regarding nib removal, I don't believe that is necessary because I have had good results from soaking the nib section and flushing it.  For a long time, my wife used Montblanc blue-black ink which, at the time, contained iron gall, I believe.  The nib got quite clogged with the blue-black ink so I soaked it in Speedball Pen Cleaner (available on Amazon). It is formulated for fountain pens and is quite gentle. Be sure not to get a cleaner for technical pens since it would be too harsh and could damage the finish of the section.

I soaked the nib unit for about 30 minutes in the Speedball liquid and then flushed the nib & feed with one of the typical, bleach-based pen flushes--like Monteverde-- that are widely available. Next, I flushed the nib unit with water. I was successful in thoroughly cleaning the nib & feed, and all the old, dried ink was removed.

I hope this information is helpful.

Regards, Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.

Thanks Robert, that is indeed very helpfull :). Will look for the equipment online so that I can use that technique too. Thank you very much for you extensive reply :)

As Robert Alan noted, there is no need to remove the nib on your pen. A simple and thorough rinse will do the job.

They're nice little pens with lovely nibs, so enjoy it!

Yep, don't remove the nib for regular cleaning.

Under normal conditions and esp. when you do not know exactly what you're doing (as in: you regularly repair vintage Montblancs or such) it is not necessary to remove the nib.

On 2/11/2022 at 5:31 PM, Robert Alan said:

Hello!  I purchased a burgundy Montblanc 144R for my wife in 1986 and it is quite similar to your black 144.  Her pen does not have a serial number but "Germany" is inscribed on the clip ring--like your pen. The single-tone 14K/585 nib on your pen is like the nib on my wife's pen so I believe your 144 is authentic. Later versions do have a serial number on the clip band and the ink converter for the later versions is threaded and has a spring weight inside to help gravity move ink to the feed nipple.  The early converter was a push-in unit and had no weight inside. It is inscribed "MONT" "BLANC" "GERMANY" with the words beginning with "MONT" over "BLANC" which is over "GERMANY."  Also, the later version of the 144 had a two-tone 14K nib. 

Regarding nib removal, I don't believe that is necessary because I have had good results from soaking the nib section and flushing it.  For a long time, my wife used Montblanc blue-black ink which, at the time, contained iron gall, I believe.  The nib got quite clogged with the blue-black ink so I soaked it in Speedball Pen Cleaner (available on Amazon). It is formulated for fountain pens and is quite gentle. Be sure not to get a cleaner for technical pens since it would be too harsh and could damage the finish of the section.

I soaked the nib unit for about 30 minutes in the Speedball liquid and then flushed the nib & feed with one of the typical, bleach-based pen flushes--like Monteverde-- that are widely available. Next, I flushed the nib unit with water. I was successful in thoroughly cleaning the nib & feed, and all the old, dried ink was removed.

I hope this information is helpful.

Regards, Robert

I should have said, "ammonia-based" pen flushes, rather than "bleach-based" pen flushes.

/Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.

• 10 months later...
On 2/11/2022 at 6:31 PM, Robert Alan said:

Hello Robert - I found this reply that your wrote about a year ago regarding removing the bib on a Montblanc 144. In your post (quoted above) you mentioned the early converter was a push-in unit.

I have a 144 of the same vintage as yours.  When it was given to me a number of years ago it had ink cartridges rather than the piston converter.  I recently purchased a Montblanc piston converter from a fountain pen retailer who said it works with the 144.  The converter has external threads and that screw onto the internal threads on the grip/nib section of the pen.  My vintage 144 doesn't seem to have these internal threads. 

So my question to you is this:  Do you think I can use this screw-in converter (without making a inky mess) in the same manner as the early push-in converter?  Thank you for any advice you can provide!  Bob

I realise this thread is coming up to a year old, but:

Did it work?

I'm with the above posters.

Your nib looks to be well set up, so I wouldn't remove it - unless the other methods don't work.

With a 144, I'll usually soak the whole section, overnight.

I also blow through it, though some people don't agree with that method.

Patience is your friend, when it comes to removing old ink deposits. It may take more than one soak.

Good luck.

I decided to take apart one of my 144’s so I could do some repairs myself. The pen has a lovely 18K nib. I ordered a new, gold ring for the nib collar from pentooling.com. I thought I cleaned my 144 thoroughly but I still found old dried ink in it. I use a pen flush, soaked it and an ear bulb to flush out. There was old ink under the ring. I am also getting a new (old) feed to replace my original which is damaged so I had to remove the nib and feed. There was old ink on the threads of the nib unit and under the nib.

While I do not recommend to disassemble your 144, it might not be as clean as you think. But as long it does not hamper the pen then it’s fine. Attached is a pic of the disassembled pen.

DEE82A43-E8DB-4098-A526-01662C0CE12B.jpeg

793A142E-34D5-4FBD-B74E-7326DC260432.jpeg

None of us knows how long he shall live or when his time will come. But soon all that will be left of our brief lives is the pride our children feel when they speak our names.