who uses a fuda?

AnneD

Yes, I think it is dusky.  I think inks that have a gray or black undertone are dusky and inks that have a brown or green undertone are murky.  BUT that is my opinion only.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• essayfaire

• Sailor Kenshin

• amberleadavis

• Penguincollector

@essayfaire

I have a new Inky Thought of the Day for you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

1 hour ago, amberleadavis said:

Yes, I think it is dusky.  I think inks that have a gray or black undertone are dusky and inks that have a brown or green undertone are murky.  BUT that is my opinion only.

Well, a green ink can't have a green undertone!  I think this is dusky, but I'm not so sure that it has those undertones.  I'm pondering the new Inky TOD.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

2 hours ago, essayfaire said:

Well, a green ink can't have a green undertone!  I think this is dusky, but I'm not so sure that it has those undertones.  I'm pondering the new Inky TOD.

No but it has a gray undertone.  Post the image in the thread and get a reply.

@essayfaire, glad to hear the Shark swam to you in good shape. I have a LOT of Chesterfield inks, including many Antiques, but not that color.  It reminds me a little of Diamine Umber, but darker.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Back to the original topic 🙂

I'm using my Jinhao with a fude nib quite a lot lately. 

I'm not so much after line variation as I find it somewhat tricky/cumbersome to change pen angles while writing. But I like the wide, kinda soft/round shaped lines it produces (in contrast to the rather sharp ones you get from western calligraphy nibs).

1 hour ago, Licue said:

I find it somewhat tricky/cumbersome to change pen angles while writing.

I think the ergonomic triangular grip on the shark makes such changes more cumbersome than they would be on a traditional grip.

Festina lente

38 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

I think the ergonomic triangular grip on the shark makes such changes more cumbersome than they would be on a traditional grip.

Ooops, I forgot a somewhat important number in my post: 992 😉

My fude-nibbed pen is not a Jinhao Shark; it's a Jinhao 992 - which has a normal, round grip. Sorry for the confusion 😊

I do have 3 Sharks too, but none with a fude.

I think I saw from internet pics the shark's fude is a bit on the smaller side and semi hooded, isn't it?

The fude on the 992 is a regular open nib, #5 size if I'm not mistaken. I actually tried to put the fude from the 992 on one of my open nibbed Sharks - if I remember correctly, the nib itself fit, but the shark cap didn't anymore.

I just ordered the entry level Sailor 40 degree fude de mannen, excited to try it for both hanzi and Western writing. It’s under $10 on Amazon right now, so I figured, why not? 

Top 5 of 23 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Lamy 2000 EF, Diamine Purple Bow

Platinum Hibiscus SF short-long, Platinum Green

Indigo Bronze TWSBI Eco 1.1 Stub, De Atramentis Columbia Blue-Copper 

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

18 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

I just ordered the entry level Sailor 40 degree fude de mannen, excited to try it for both hanzi and Western writing. It’s under $10 on Amazon right now, so I figured, why not? 

Yes, the risk is very low, although that product line is probably the worst Sailor pens and the worst Fude-nibbed pens I've ever come across.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Yeah, I can return it if it’s truly terrible.

1 hour ago, Penguincollector said:

I just ordered the entry level Sailor 40 degree fude de mannen

The complaint I read about it, is that the tip of the feed sticks out a bit too far which can result in secondary lines.

It's not like all reviews complained tho, so maybe it's also a bit of a user problem 🤷🏼‍♀️

9 minutes ago, Licue said:

The complaint I read about it, is that the tip of the feed sticks out a bit too far which can result in secondary lines.

There is that, when you try to use it at a shallow angle to get the broadest lines. The nibs themselves are also quite flimsy.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

5 hours ago, Licue said:

Ooops, I forgot a somewhat important number in my post: 992 😉

My fude-nibbed pen is not a Jinhao Shark; it's a Jinhao 992 - which has a normal, round grip. Sorry for the confusion 😊

I do have 3 Sharks too, but none with a fude.

I think I saw from internet pics the shark's fude is a bit on the smaller side and semi hooded, isn't it?

The fude on the 992 is a regular open nib, #5 size if I'm not mistaken. I actually tried to put the fude from the 992 on one of my open nibbed Sharks - if I remember correctly, the nib itself fit, but the shark cap didn't anymore.

Yes, exactly right on all counts.

When deciding which pen to send off to be turned into a fude, I was advised to pay attention and make sure it was a #6 as otherwise it couldn't be a full fude, and also to make sure there would be enough cap clearance for the bend.

Festina lente

So here’s my terrible writing. It’s been about 20 years since I wrote my name in characters, so be nice. So far, the nib on this entry level Sailor is aligned out of the packaging. There’s no clip on the pen, so that’s something to consider. It’s a long boi, which makes it easy to wield like a brush and for my weird way of holding any pen between my middle and ring fingers. Makes me miss grinding the ink on my stone. 

787DDB1A-27D1-403F-AAB3-B99A5D82A481.jpeg

71945080-7467-4F52-8678-F521B1A7CF6F.jpeg

411590A3-B22F-483D-AEEC-55895225C07E.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

Makes me miss grinding the ink on my stone

I have a stone around!  I wonder if it would work for dip testing... never occurred to me before.

Festina lente

On 4/28/2022 at 4:20 AM, Penguincollector said:

ordered the entry level Sailor 40 degree fude de mannen

I like mine very much and, over time, have collected one in each colour. I find they seal quite well against drying out too. That and their line variation make them favourites as carry-around pens for drawing and cheap enough that, if lost, I could just order another.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

On 4/27/2022 at 9:41 PM, A Smug Dill said:

Yes, the risk is very low, although that product line is probably the worst Sailor pens and the worst Fude-nibbed pens I've ever come across.

(Discussing Sailor Fude DeMannen fountain pens).

If you do buy one, and find that you hate it, then even the low price paid for the pen need not be a total loss.

The DeMannen pen body and cap are compatible with the Sailor "Brush Pen Replacement Tip". That part is more than just a brush tip. It is actually the brush head and plastic grip section, with a nipple for cartridge or converter, and thread to screw in the pen body, sold as a complete unit, less than £6 in UK.

https://www.andys-pens.co.uk/sailor-pens/sailor-1911-brush-pen-replacement-brush-tip

Fit any standard Sailor ink cartridge or converter into the back of the "Replacement Tip"

Unscrew the fude-nib section from the DeMannen body, screw in the "Brush Pen Replacement Tip"..... and you have a complete brush pen.

I have found the Sailor brush to have a very fine tip. Needed a few days of practice to begin to learn the hand-control to make fine lines. (Day 1 it seems impossible!)

Works with all inks that I have tried. The standout ink though is in these Sailor Brush Pen Cartridges.

https://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/ink-refills/fountain-pen-ink-cartridges/sailor-brushpen-ink-cartridges.html

These are standard size Sailor cartridges. The ink inside is something special though. They last longer than expected because the ink lays down thinly and rather dry, but makes a deep dark solid black stroke.

11 hours ago, AmandaW said:

I like mine very much and, over time, have collected one in each colour. I find they seal quite well against drying out too. That and their line variation make them favourites as carry-around pens for drawing and cheap enough that, if lost, I could just order another.

I've got some, including a demonstrator.  Very good pens for the $.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.