• garif

• amberleadavis

• como

• Addertooth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, garif said:

thank you

Yes i replate everything//  gold plate is enough good  but original gold filling is better

They look great!!

When you Gold plate the brass, do you put down a barrier layer of nickel before you gold plate the part?

Are you single-point threading the parts on a lathe, or, are you using a tap and die?

4 hours ago, Addertooth said:

When you Gold plate the brass, do you put down a barrier layer of nickel before you gold plate the part?

Are you single-point threading the parts on a lathe, or, are you using a tap and die?

no i don"t put a nickel layer ,i think it"s better without and i plate as better as i can with double quantity of gold plate solution for about 40-50 seconds the results are very good but gold fiiling in any case is better 

for threading i use triple start taps and dies made by Tap.Co 12, 13 and 14 mm

19 hours ago, garif said:

no i don"t put a nickel layer ,i think it"s better without and i plate as better as i can with double quantity of gold plate solution for about 40-50 seconds the results are very good but gold fiiling in any case is better 

for threading i use triple start taps and dies made by Tap.Co 12, 13 and 14 mm

Garif,

Thank you for your answers.   I tried direct gold plate on gold filled pens which were brassed, and ran into the issue that the copper in the brass liked to migrate through the gold plating.  It would give the gold plating a "bluish" tinge after a few months.  Perhaps the answer was what you stated, just make the gold plating thicker to discourage this outcome.  

I did not experience copper migration when a Nickel barrier layer was put down on the gold filled parts which had become brassed. 

The triple start taps and dies are a well proven method of putting threads down, but I have toyed with the idea of doing triple start single point threading, to save the expense of purchasing the taps and dies.  For me, why buy a lathe and not use it's capabilities.  It is like buying a cow, but refusing to milk it.  I may end up simply making some taps and dies out of O-1, as Ebonite and Celluloid would not put much wear on them once the O-1 is hardened.  

All of this said, you did some very nice fabrication work on your pens.  As a former machinist, I can appreciate the fit and finish of your final product. You take the sensible approach of recycling some of the harder to fabricate parts (clips, Levers/crescents, Nibs, Rings, Feeds, Nibs).   It is a great way of producing a rather stellar outcome. 

On 2/17/2022 at 3:07 PM, Addertooth said:

Garif,

Thank you for your answers.   I tried direct gold plate on gold filled pens which were brassed, and ran into the issue that the copper in the brass liked to migrate through the gold plating.  It would give the gold plating a "bluish" tinge after a few months.  Perhaps the answer was what you stated, just make the gold plating thicker to discourage this outcome.  

I did not experience copper migration when a Nickel barrier layer was put down on the gold filled parts which had become brassed. 

The triple start taps and dies are a well proven method of putting threads down, but I have toyed with the idea of doing triple start single point threading, to save the expense of purchasing the taps and dies.  For me, why buy a lathe and not use it's capabilities.  It is like buying a cow, but refusing to milk it.  I may end up simply making some taps and dies out of O-1, as Ebonite and Celluloid would not put much wear on them once the O-1 is hardened.  

All of this said, you did some very nice fabrication work on your pens.  As a former machinist, I can appreciate the fit and finish of your final product. You take the sensible approach of recycling some of the harder to fabricate parts (clips, Levers/crescents, Nibs, Rings, Feeds, Nibs).   It is a great way of producing a rather stellar outcome. 

thank you  i appreciate very much your comments

Wonderful job! Thank you for keeping these pens looking as good as they should. 🙂

The current setup

1. Conid Regular AntwerpPen/Naginata Cross Concord- Sailor Nioi-Sumire (two years and counting!)

2. 1920-something Wahl-Eversharp BCHR Oversize Gold Seal/Manifold- Aurora Black

3. Pelikan M800 Tortoise/O3B- Kobe Ginza gold sepia

1936 Vacumatic Oversize Brown Pearl- Rest in (several) pieces. You will be missed!