Pelikan M100

PelikanPenman

Pelikan M100

My first FP review here so any constructive criticism would be appreciated. No writing samples I'm afraid, I'm much too shy. Honestly, my writing is mediocre at best. And the pictures are a little blurry (low light, digital camera etc...) sorry. Yes I know the Pelikan M100 has been reviewed once before, but without photos and this is a double review.

First Impressions 9/10

My first impression of both pens was "Wow!". Especially the white with black chrome furniture and nib. The black with silver chrome, while much like my M805, is still impressive in a very simplistic way. As you can see below these two together make a very nice pair of contrasting and yet well blended, as ebony and ivory is.

Appearance 9/10

Well there is not much to say here, they are Pelikans, the quality is very good. The white M100 is such an unique colour for Pelikan and when I was able to find the black M100 I could not pass it up as it made for such a good pair of pens. Now I know there are some people that prefer the gold furniture and some that prefer the white metal furniture, but how can you fault black furniture! :drool:

post-5045-1185051250_thumb.jpg

Design 9/10

Personally I think the Pelikan design is spot on. I really can not think of any design improvements, only produce the white and black chrome in the M800 size, please!

Nib 8/10

The white M100 EF I use for my checkbook with Parker Penman Emerald and is very smooth and a good line width for me. The black M100 came in a M nib, which is not for me, even though it is smooth. Now I will say here is where Pelikan falls a little short me, while they have an extensive nib selection they need to add an XXF, but I will say it gives me an excuse to purchase a nib from Binder. :clap1:

But on the same aspect just look at that black chrome nib, that is such an unique nib, not gold, not duotone, not white metal, but black is so unusual and so striking.

post-5045-1185051415_thumb.jpg

Filling System 9/10

Again, the Pelikan filling system is well proven and been around for a very long time. It is an outstanding system and holds buckets of ink and cleaning it is so easy.

Cost and Value 8/10

To purchase a Pelikan, albeit a small Pelikan, at only $35 is excellent value for money. These are great writers and I am in love with fountain pens, and these particular fountain pens, especially the white are just fun to look at.

Conclusion 8/10

These pens are fun, plain and simple. Together they make a great pair and at the quality of Pelikan you can not go wrong, especially at the price. This is a price of just a 15 cheap ballpoint pens at 2 pounds each, and this pen is built for a lifetime. One of them is approaching 20 years old now, the white has W. Germany. While the black has Germany on the band. How long does a ballpoint last? These are great buy at a such a price that is hard to beat, but not always easy to find.

Cheers.

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Winston Churchill

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

Winston Churchill

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PelikanPenman

• sargetalon

• Christopher Godfrey

• rizo

Nice review Pelikan Penman.

So where did you get these from? I am definitely interested. I don't share your joy of black furniture on a white pen. It looks too much like a stormtrooper for me, but silver on black - tasteful!

So where did you get these from? I am definitely interested. I don't share your joy of black furniture on a white pen. It looks too much like a stormtrooper for me, but silver on black - tasteful!

I don't know where he got them; however, I got a white Pelikan M100 EF from judperl on eBay (not affiliated). He gets them periodically, so you might check, and if he doesn't have any right now, save the search.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Excellent review, or should I say reviews? No matter. Either way, job well done. And for the record, just because a pen has been reviewed, that doesn't mean another one shouldn't be added. After all, a review is mostly one person's opinion, and the more we have the better for the community. THANKS! Enjoy your pens!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Good job on the review! Just curious...Is the ink view window on the white pen darker than on the black pen, or was the white pen filled, making the window look darker?

Best, Ann

Andy,

Sorry I should have said where I got them from. The white and black furniture is part of a set of fountain pen and ballpoint that I was able to get off fleabay. The black and silver I received from Martini Auctions. It was the first time I had come across one, so good luck in your hunt.

Cheers.

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Winston Churchill

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

Winston Churchill

Good job on the review! Just curious...Is the ink view window on the white pen darker than on the black pen, or was the white pen filled, making the window look darker?

Best, Ann

Ann, no the window is about the same shade, it was just full of ink, nice Penman Emerald ink. I guess I should have cleaned it out prior to the photo. Sorry about that, something for the next one.

Cheers.

Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill

Best, Ann

Ann, no the window is about the same shade, it was just full of ink, nice Penman Emerald ink. I guess I should have cleaned it out prior to the photo. Sorry about that, something for the next one.

Cheers.

Thanks!!

:) Ann

• 1 year later...

I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure it's friction fit- the old-style M200 I have from the same era is (same style of cap ring and tassie).

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

• 5 years later...

I am rescuscitating an old thread because I need information: PelikanPenman -- or anyone else -- do you please have any idea about the worth of a Pelikan M100, used? I have a black model, gold (-coloured) trim and steel nib in size fine (with a tiny bit of spring to it) I would rather sell this and put the money towards something older...thanks in advance! ;^)

I am rescuscitating an old thread because I need information: PelikanPenman -- or anyone else -- do you please have any idea about the worth of a Pelikan M100, used? I have a black model, gold (-coloured) trim and steel nib in size fine (with a tiny bit of spring to it) I would rather sell this and put the money towards something older...thanks in advance! ;^)

The black is a fairly common model. These are ranging from $50 to $75 at auction. Maybe a little more for a pristine pen with an unusual nib. The harder to find colors would command a higher price obviously.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Because of the gold colored trim (gold plated, to be exact), what you have is an m150. The m100s are identically sized but they all came with white metal trim, regardless of the color. M150s are more common than m100s --especially given that the former are still in production. Whether it says Germany or W. Germany on the cap rim can help you date yours.

It's funny because I always see the black M100's being mislabled as M150's when for sale. What distinguishes the two is that the M100 had chrome trim versus the M150's gold plated, much in same way that M200's are different from M205's. Here is a pic to help illustrate. the first 4 pens are M100's and the next 6 are M150's.

post-95756-0-18363200-1390259480_thumb.jpg

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

Many thanks, sargetalon and chiaroscuro, both! Any idea of rough value of a plain M150, then? Still around the fifty-dollar mark, perhaps?

Depends on the condition. If you look at eBay's historic sales, nice examples of a black M150 are getting $40-60.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Depends on the condition. If you look at eBay's historic sales, nice examples of a black M150 are getting $40-60.

The M 100 is by far more expensive in ebay righ now.