temporary body transplant

marpa

Hello
I have a problem with one of my sailor gear pens.
A fracture in the body.
I was thinking of buying a Sailor Lecoule and using it as a provisional donor for the Sailor Pro gear writing group.
I don't know if the bodies are compatible
Does anyone have a Sailor pro gear and a locule?
Can you see if the writing unit of the pro gear can be screwed into the body of the  Lecoule?
Thank you 🙂

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• awa54

• A Smug Dill

• marpa

• katerchen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, marpa said:

Hello
I have a problem with one of my sailor gear pens.
A fracture in the body.
I was thinking of buying a Sailor Lecoule and using it as a provisional donor for the Sailor Pro gear writing group.
I don't know if the bodies are compatible
Does anyone have a Sailor pro gear and a locule?
Can you see if the writing unit of the pro gear can be screwed into the body of the  Lecoule?
Thank you 🙂

That sounds positively ghoulish! 🧟‍♂️

The Lecoule is the same size externally as a Pro Gear Slim, but there are differences:

While cap to section and section to barrel threads are compatible, the Pro Gear Slim (sorry, I only own the Slim variant) includes a spacer with metal section threads, where the Lecoule has a one-piece cast plastic section. This adds around 1.5mm (my caliper is packed, so this is approximate) to the total section length and although both caps seem to fit, the Lecoule cap doesn't feel like it actually seats on the PGS section, while the PGS cap feels as if it's sealing correctly. Unfortunately all of my variants of this style are opaque plastics, so I'm just guessing by feel about the cap to section interface...

Not very definitive, but it may get you a step closer to a work around. 

For a functional fix, you might want to just solvent weld the damaged Pro Gear barrel, products like Plastruct Plastic Weld will fuse acrylic resin back together if used correctly.

Good luck!

David-

So many restoration projects...

23 minutes ago, katerchen said:

Haha I had a double-take, then reminded myself we were on a pen forum.

Me too!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

10 hours ago, marpa said:

I don't know if the bodies are compatible ← No, they are not.
Does anyone have a Sailor pro gear and a locule? ← Yes, I do.
Can you see if the writing unit of the pro gear can be screwed into the body of the  Lecoule? No, it cannot.
Thank you 🙂

large.410322993_SailorProGearClassicandLecoulepartsnotinterchangeable.jpg.b8820ba5d26d3c47401ac04f3cb1a8e5.jpg

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

thank you, thank you all
Leocule is not an option.
have a plan B, I think I will buy these two things
101035246_s-l1600(1).jpg.cfeb1531a4cc4c39d8adacbc5d97deb5.jpgSailor-1911L-ClearGold-OW-2_grande.jpg.b1aa0dd2e48286727ba6967e8aad3e61.jpg

Edited by marpa

13 minutes ago, marpa said:

It's a good plan if you're planning on using the Pro Gear's gripping section (complete with nib and feed) as a swap-in alternative nib option to whichever you're going to choose for the new Sailor Profit 21 (aka 1911 Large) pen.

If you want to be able to independently deploy the nib (and feed) from the Pro Gear pen, and the repair with glue doesn't work, then I suppose:

• it doesn't hurt to ask Sailor whether for-fee repair is an option, and work out how much it'll cost including shipping to and from where you are;
  • you could try to look for a replacement body only, either in for-parts-only pens someone may be trying to flog off on eBay or reddit after having wrecked, lost, or extracted the nib (hmm, I dunno, for transplant into a CONID pen perhaps), or by 3D-printing; or
  • transplant the Sailor 21K gold nib and feed into a Flexible Nib Factory housing for such, and install that into a large Opus 88 eyedropper-filled pen model (or, alternatively, a cheaper Fine Writing International model that can act as an eyedropper-filled pen … or buy an Indian ebonite eyedropper-filled pen body tapped for JoWo #6 nib units), assuming you don't mind using an eyedropper-filled pen and the shipping charges from FNF don't put you off ordering (as they do me).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

6 hours ago, marpa said:

thank you, thank you all
Leocule is not an option.
101035246_s-l1600(1).jpg.cfeb1531a4cc4c39d8adacbc5d97deb5.jpgSailor-1911L-ClearGold-OW-2_grande.jpg.b1aa0dd2e48286727ba6967e8aad3e61.jpg

Plastic model cement is designed to work on polystyrene, browsing through some forums on gaming miniatures, I found many mentions of the Tamiya cement NOT working on "resin" items. There were also posts about successful use of the Plastruct plastic weld on resin miniatures.

I've used Plastruct successfully on vintage pen plastics, though I'm not certain if the older Pilot resin is acrylic or ABS...

The Plastruct "Plastic Weld" product specifically states that it works on acrylic resin.

Plastruct "Bondene" solvent is NOT for use on acrylic.

David-

Agree with awa45. Tamiya adhesive only works on styrene by temporarily melting the ends to be glued so that the bond between the connecting pieces are strong. This adhesive does not work with any other types of plastic.

If there is a crack, best to return to Itoya USA to get repaired.

On 2/9/2022 at 1:02 AM, gerigo said:

If there is a crack, best to return to (Sailor service in your area) to get repaired.

If the pen is a regular production model, then I'd hope they would be able to supply a replacement barrel for a fair price.

David-