Osprey Pens - Madison

amberleadavis

Years ago at the LA Pen show, I met the team that makes @OspreyPens. At the time, I wasn't looking for a flex nib pen, and I was spending my money on a Sheaffer nib for my custom Newton pen - I did, however, acquire a bottle of their Azure Main Ink.  Fast forward a few years and I was reading about these young people (including Abhi Rao) who are making pens in California and doing great things and then I found them on eBay.  So, it was time to acquire a pen.

The Madison is an $18 pen that includes a great nib and amazing converter.  Let me say that this pen is now the pen that I will purchase as gifts (once I gift all the pens that I'm no longer using). This pen is also the one that I will recommend to beginners.  I am so happy!!!

For $88, I received a pen, two converters, 2 nib sections, and a total of 5 different nibs in a nice box with a sample of Noodler's Black ink.

Converters: 1 with spring and one without. These converters are now my favorites. WOW.  The converters are threaded with wide openings so that the feed can get enough ink. The converters will work with any pen that can use a Schmidt K6 converter which is darn close to universal. 

Nibs: The pens and nib units are modular which allows you to change out nibs and customize quickly.  I did not purchase the Flexpert system which would allow you to use a Zebra G nib or the other 5.5 nibs.  Instead I chose all #6 nibs ($16 each and all came with nib covers):

1. Broad Flex
  2. Architect BB
  3. Special Grind B Stub (not flex)
  4. Broad Left Oblique
  5. Zoom BB

The Clip - Oh my. I don't even use clips, but the little ball spins so it is easy to take the pen in and out of a pocket.  It is delightful.

Here are pictures from Osprey. 

s-l1600.jpg

w.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• essayfaire

• Audrey T

• Rebbe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, I inked it up immediately with Birmingham Ultramarine

PXL_20220205_183607834.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I filled the converter without dipping the nib into the ink, so I had to prime the feed.  WOW the feed hold a lot of ink. The Broad flex is very Flexy!

PXL_20220205_183609770.jpg

6 minutes ago, amberleadavis said:

The pens and nib units are modular which allows you to change out nibs and customize quickly.  I did not purchase the Flexpert system which would allow you to use a Zebra G nib or the other 5.5 nibs.  Instead I chose all #6 nibs ($16 each and all came with nib covers):

Wow. That sounds pretty tempting!

So, that was yesterday. Today, I switched out the section, nib and converter (probably overkill) and installed the other nibs one at a time. I didn't look at my receipt, I didn't look at the designation on the nib until after I'd written with it.  This was the broad stub without flex.

PXL_20220205_183616844.jpg

PXL_20220205_183618890.jpg

2 minutes ago, Audrey T said:

Wow. That sounds pretty tempting!

It's more tempting than you can imagine. I was able to play with 5 nibs in less than 30 minutes.  I made a mess on my desk and had a great time. 

PXL_20220205_183546245.MP.jpg

The next nib was the architect grind. It was my favorite.  PXL_20220205_183624833.thumb.jpg.8027048b009c59911e043bdcc9523ad7.jpg

So, the zoom nib is interesting, but I think zoom nibs are not for me, I'm not a fan of my Sailor zoom nib either.

PXL_20220205_183626514.jpg

The left oblique nib was sharper than the stub, which should be expected.  I thought this one would be my favorite, but the architect really did it for me.

PXL_20220205_183633656.jpg

So, in the end, I cleaned up the rest of the nibs and refilled the converter to keep using the architect nib.  BTW, I used more than a converter of ink so you should be aware that this pen can really consume ink.  :)

PXL_20220205_183635419.jpg

So, what would I change?

Well, I wouldn't change it, I'd just add to it!

I really want a FLEX broad stub.

I'd like a few more colors in the Madison.

And I'd like to have ink tanks like on the Peyton Street Felton. @terim

spacer.png

or the Noodler's refillable cartridge.  Photo thanks to @pepsiplease69image.jpeg

Finally, I think I'd dump the box and gift the pens with a pen sleeve like Franklin-Christoph does.

6 minutes ago, Audrey T said:

What is your inkwell like?

It's a "new" one from Authentic Models made to look like an old French school desk ink well. It is frankly nothing special, but fill it with water so that I can dip my pens in when they dry out.

OH, and I carried this pen around and it didn't leak or get messy, I can't say the same for most of my other pens.

Here are a Plantinum #3776 and a Pelikan M200 Ocean Blue (blue ocean) for comparison. The colors are very similar. 

PXL_20220205_203741092.jpg

17 minutes ago, Audrey T said:

Why didn't you get this one? Not that I really understand how it works:

https://www.amazon.com/Authentic-Models-Phrenology-Inkwell/dp/B003N8BFNM/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Because I bought the square one over a decade ago.  :). I also like that it is square and squat and therefore doesn't easily tip.

PXL_20220207_004757347.thumb.jpg.f3726a117bb88977154019d3027f2ac8.jpg

Day three of carrying the pen around it is NO problem.  I'm quite pleased.

Today I heard back from Osprey pens, we can expect two new colors for the Madison this year and they are creating a sealable ink tank.

• 2 months later...

large.2022-04-14_00019.jpg.7aed842aa9a860228c83f8419001b303.jpg