Is it worth it? Parker 51 2021 Edition

davidtaylorjr

My complaint is about cost cutting and cynical marketing. Yes a pen's writing characteristics may not be for everyone but I hate the less for more attitude that is pervasive now. It's all about values (look up Victorinox and their reputation for being uncompromising on  quality and their brand loyalty) The whole thing of making something cheaply and shoddily and then selling it at top whack because of a name is deeply cynical to me. It might fool some people but not me. Plus I come from an era where premium price equalled premium quality. I mean look at Mercedes cars up to the 80s and compare to now where you pay 35k plus for a C Class with a Renault engine in it and a grossly inflated range. Blame globalisation, greed and image conscious, undiscerning consumers. Brand status is b*****ks and if a cheap Wing Sung pen offers better quality and satisfaction than a newParker then that says it all. Can't tell you how to spend your money Glenn but I work hard for mine, am not rich and so I expect a premium product to last. My car was pricey. It is nearly 20 years old and well into six figure miliage and runs perfectly  The 70 year old Parker 51 I have works flawlessly. My watch is nearly 80 years old and Swiss (WW2 Eterna my grandad gave me) and after an overhaul keeps perfect time. Conversely I paid 1500 for a Dell XPS computer only a few years ago and now it is junk. The money I spent fixing it has been high. They called it a premium product. That is financial rape imho. Anyway will bow out here 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glenn-SC

• davidtaylorjr

• TheRedBeard

• Estycollector

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah, nothing like the modern Parker 51 to bring us all together.  Next time, let's just talk politics instead.

"Nothing is new under the sun!  Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!” has already existed in the ages that preceded us." Ecclesiastes

The "51" arrived today and I have already requested a return and a refund as the nib was severely bent. Pics were deceptive. Very disappointed.

6 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

The "51" arrived today and I have already requested a return and a refund as the nib was severely bent. Pics were deceptive. Very disappointed.

So sorry!

2 minutes ago, Glenn-SC said:

So sorry!

It is ok, I've already ordered a new one from Peyton Street. I will say, other than the bent nib, I liked the pen. Holds a lot of ink, easy to fill, good feel in hands.

9 hours ago, davidtaylorjr said:

Holds a lot of ink, easy to fill, good feel in hands.

It’s all that…

Peyton Street is a good choice.  

For me the nib is essential. And the new Parker 51 (steel version) has the nib of the old Parker Vector and Parker Jotter.

If you want a affordable Parker, with a better nib, I would buy the new Parker XL nib (very similar to the Waterman Allure). It is a good looking, metal, not "cheap" looking pen. With F or M nibs. 21 € in Amazon.

If you want a more expensive and elegant pen, for 90€ there are better options out there.

That is only my opinion, of course.

An experienced fountain pen user should have already come to know what they want in a pen. Thinking you need to buy a pen to know wastes resources that could be used for other pens. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

4 minutes ago, Estycollector said:

An experienced fountain pen user should have already come to know what they want in a pen. Thinking you need to buy a pen to know wastes resources that could be used for other pens. 

What is this in response to?

I wouldn't worry.

You do not have to agree with everyone's opinion. And this most especially holds when you are on a forum filled with some pretty smart people, and each one with very definite ideas as to what looks good, what does not, and what is "the" correct answer.

I didn't agree with Estycollector on Wednesday when he wrote "There are times when actual experience is unnecessary" in the context of being able to fully judge a pen. And I don't agree with him today -- even experienced collectors can not always know exactly what they want in a pen -- the world is filled with unexpected and wonderful surprises.

In turn, he doesn't appear to agree with me that some of the new Parkers are pretty good pens.

And I think we are both fine with this difference in opinion.

So: UBU. Let us know what you think of the incoming pen. 

5 hours ago, Estycollector said:

Don't get your last point ??

5 hours ago, Estycollector said:

So you never ever try new things to know if you like something new and/or different?

if you only like chocolate ice cream and that’s all you want to buy because you might not like “rocky road”, then by all means only buy chocolate.
Until I try something for myself I don’t know if I like it or not. 
And if the rest of the world hates “rocky road” and I like it, so much the more for me!!!!

@matteob and @davidtaylorjr -- Agreed.  If you buy a pen to try, and don't like it?  Sell it on or do a PIF, unless the pen is actually broken/beyond repair.  

@Estycollector -- I have been on this forum now for about a decade at this point.  I have a lot of pens.  Some I like more than others, but every one of them I LEARNED something -- even if it's that "I don't like X brand/fillsystem/nib width".  

For some of us, it's the journey -- NOT the destination.  Me?  I don't understand the people who buy some high priced gee-gas of a pen for the express purpose of sticking it in a case to show off how much money they can afford.  I, OTOH, troll estate sales and antiques shops looking for bargains.  Neither they nor I am "right" -- but like Glenn-SC effectively just said "Don't like what I like?  That much more for me!" 

And remember, that some of the people in this thread are relative noobies -- they might not KNOW what they like yet.  And they may live someplace that doesn't have a B&M pen shop to try things, or a local pen club to pass pens around for them to try.  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

5 hours ago, Mike B said:

I wouldn't worry.

You do not have to agree with everyone's opinion. And this most especially holds when you are on a forum filled with some pretty smart people, and each one with very definite ideas as to what looks good, what does not, and what is "the" correct answer.

I didn't agree with Estycollector on Wednesday when he wrote "There are times when actual experience is unnecessary" in the context of being able to fully judge a pen. And I don't agree with him today -- even experienced collectors can not always know exactly what they want in a pen -- the world is filled with unexpected and wonderful surprises.

In turn, he doesn't appear to agree with me that some of the new Parkers are pretty good pens.

And I think we are both fine with this difference in opinion.

So: UBU. Let us know what you think of the incoming pen. 

Amen I am quite passionate on my opinions but easy going: call me out if you disagree :) My point is because I am not well off I do my research and if the consensus is something is poor I take that advice as can't afford to buy and be let down.

6 hours ago, davidtaylorjr said:

What is this in response to?

I suspect it is just grouching.  Some folks are just that way.  Duck's back.  

Too bad about your attempted vintage 51.  Not every seller is reputable, but I have bought quite a few pens from Peyton Street, and never had any be anything other than exactly as described, and arrive clean and working (unless stated otherwise on the site).  Just a caution .... I know many others have had good experiences, but be cautious with parker51.com.  I have had a bait-and-switch experience (only one - I never went back).

I have been "collecting" pens for about t60 years. (In my early days it was not actually "collecting", just accumulating a few alternate pens to make school and then work a bit more entertaining.  Of course, in my early school days, ball points were a crazy idea that would never really catch on.  But now that I have tried the Monteverde gel refills in blue-black last year, I'm starting to warm up to them after all.

Nothing like a good old discussion about fountain pens to make us all “nerd out” (and I mean that in the best possible way). I’ve been around here for a decade or more - some years less so than I am now. I tend to know what I like, but I still try new things from time to time. Unfortunately, I’ve got a drawer full of things that just didn’t work out. One of these days, I’ll sell them or PIF them.

As for the original topic in this thread? I won’t buy a new 51 simply because it can never match up to the original in my opinion. Others may like it and I’m sure it has its merits, but I am just not interested. To the OP, I truly hope you enjoy your vintage 51. I suspect that you will…..

4 hours ago, Doctox57 said:

But now that I have tried the Monteverde gel refills in blue-black last year, I'm starting to warm up to them after all.

Agreed.  That's what I use when a fountain pen is impractical.  Elevates my Jotter over the stock Parker ink.

"Nothing is new under the sun!  Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!” has already existed in the ages that preceded us." Ecclesiastes

I use my Jotter for official forms that need to be scanned and so don’t use gel refills. They are banned by UK school exam boards as apparently they don’t scan properly. I have found Beaufort Ink’s swiss made Jotter ballpen refills far better than the current Parker ones.

16 hours ago, Glenn-SC said:

So you never ever try new things to know if you like something new and/or different?

if you only like chocolate ice cream and that’s all you want to buy because you might not like “rocky road”, then by all means only buy chocolate.
Until I try something for myself I don’t know if I like it or not. 
And if the rest of the world hates “rocky road” and I like it, so much the more for me!!!!

If I know I don't like chocolate ice cream, I wouldn't be interested in Rocky Road or others. 

Spending the price of a New 51 is close to the vintage price. Like others have said, the screw cap and step down is not something I have liked in other models. pens. 

Yes, you can have all the New 51's as far as I am concerned....LOL!!

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"