does anyone have advice about a #5 Bock italic nib (evidently from an Omega kit)?

Audrey T

I just received a beautiful pen from MarkhamJonesPens. The nib is a calligraphy/italic 1.5mm Bock Omega. Although the ink I used (Pen BBS's #448, Waves) is (appropriately) very wet, I had the hardest time getting the pen to lay down ink, even when dipped. I don't think it's the angle -- I am comfortable with sharp italics as well as rounded stubs, and in any case it would write for a while and then stop. Then, after being shaken, it might accept (briefly) an entirely different angle. The type of paper didn't seem to make a difference. It hated them all.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Audrey T

• amberleadavis

• OCArt

• Grayspoole

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As you probably know the standard first step is to flush the pen with water containing a drop of dishwashing (washing up) liquid. This will remove any manufacturing oils and dirt.  hopefully it will work better after a thorough clean. 

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

20 minutes ago, OCArt said:

As you probably know the standard first step is to flush the pen with water containing a drop of dishwashing (washing up) liquid. This will remove any manufacturing oils and dirt.  hopefully it will work better after a thorough clean. 

I actually haven't done that, @OCArt, so thank you!

Also, some inks have a really high surface tension, double check that you don't have air in the cartridge / converter that is causing you grief. Then ask someone  who knows a little more about nibs, I think that the tines are a little too close but I'm not describing that well.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

7 minutes ago, amberleadavis said:

Also, some inks have a really high surface tension, double check that you don't have air in the cartridge / converter that is causing you grief. Then ask someone  who knows a little more about nibs, I think that the tines are a little too close but I'm not describing that well.

OK -- thank you. I am going to try the pen again tomorrow with a known-and-trusted ink. Meantime, I've cleaned it out, as @OCArt advised. I always do that with a Lamy nib, but seldom need to with others -- and I don't think I've ever used soap up front like that (as opposed to, say, after a shimmer ink). Cleaned-out nib & new ink should at least help me narrow down the issue, even if they turn out not to solve it. Thank you, @amberleadavis!

It's a bit better, but still bad. Today I used Montblanc Scarlet Red in the pen. I'll attach a writing sample (I left in the railroading and hard starts, so several letters are missing) and some close-ups of the nib. I can get higher resolution if anyone thinks that would help in figuring this out. (I've never adjusted a nib, so if that's what is called for, I would only want to do it if it was not risky....) Thank you in advance!

5_Bock.Omega.1_5mm.italic.Scarlet_Red.Montblanc_01_AT.jpg.39569d5266910940f10dad431379ad8e.jpg

5.Bock.Omega.1.5mm.italic.Scarlet.Red.Montblanc.02.crop.AT.jpg

5.Bock.Omega.1.5mm.italic.Scarlet.Red.Montblanc.03.crop.AT.jpg

5.Bock.Omega.1.5mm.italic.Scarlet.Red.Montblanc.04.crop.AT.jpg

5.Bock.Omega.1.5mm.italic.Scarlet.Red.Montblanc.05.crop.AT.jpg

From the photos, it seems as though there is plenty of ink flowing down to (and all around) the nib but perhaps it is not moving to the tip quickly enough to prevent the hard starts/railroading at the beginning of your strokes.  I might try carefully flossing the tines with a brass shim.

Goulet Brass Sheet Tutorial

2 hours ago, Grayspoole said:

I might try carefully flossing the tines with a brass shim.

That sounds safe enough, even for me (& I do have, but have never used, their brass sheets) -- thank you!