Miquel Ruis - Journal

amberleadavis

So, @namrehsnoom did a wonderful review of the MR 1839 notebook - see at the bottom of this post.

So, I was inspired to show you one of my MR notebooks. I purchased these from Barnes and Noble, but they no longer carry them.  Back in 2014, I paid about $20 per notebook.  I see that Amazon has some that look similar but only have 200 sheets for $15 for a pack of two, or a black one just like mine for $15.  

I used the notebook from 2015 until 2021 for various projects and it has gone to pen shows with me.  @Mookli designed the sticker for me.  

After 6 years of use, here is what the front and back covers look like.

PXL_20220128_054714168.jpg

PXL_20220128_054718849.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• inkstainedruth

• Karmachanic

• WalterC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As you may know, I enjoy doing water washes.  The MR paper held up very well.  Here is a doodle with water washes, BSB and KWZI #4.

PXL_20220128_054523989.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Here is the reverse of that page. Along with another doodle/ wash.

PXL_20220128_054535508.jpg

To be clear, the doodles and the washes didn't really bleed through the paper, here is the backside of the doodle above.

PXL_20220128_054542130.jpg

Here is an old review with Bay State Blue. BSB is known to deteriorate in the sun meaning that it will fade in a notebook.  As you can see from the photo taken today, the ink still looks great. 

PXL_20220128_054608372.jpg

Here is a review of Faber Castell Moss Green and a review of Karas Kustoms Ink! pen. As you can see I did water washes and used a lot of ink.  Only the ink swatch bled through.

Now, there was some show through because the ink was dark, but no bleed through.

PXL_20220128_054626681.jpg

PXL_20220128_054633057.jpg

PXL_20220128_054638928.jpg

PXL_20220128_054644933.jpg

So, to explain again, when I did color swatches, I did have some bleed through, but not when I was just writing. 

PXL_20220128_054738318.jpg

PXL_20220128_054743532.jpg

For law school, I used the MR notebooks with gel pens that had bled through every other paper I used.  These notebooks were wonderful.  

Anyway, I hope this helps.

I love the 600 page Miquelrius notebooks (I do morning pages journaling, and go through 2+ a year), but they're hard to find these days.  Someone on FPN tipped me off to a 3rd party vendor on Amazon, IIRC, a while back and I probably freaked the vendor out by cleaning out their entire stock of what was still available (blue covers and black covers -- the red covers were already sold out, and they didn't seem to carry the green ones. 

I originally had ordered a bunch directly from Miquelrius (I think from their US site) and then the second order someone from Miquelrius pointed me to another website (but I've lost the URL).  So when I got tipped off about a source, I jumped -- even though I wasn't out.

The paper is pretty FP friendly overall, and they're a great deal for the price, given the capacity.  Plus, because I go through a LOT of them, it's nice to have ones that stack/pack easily for storage.

Really hope that they have NOT discontinued the large capacity ones (I think they are A5 size) -- I couldn't find them on their website the last time I looked.

My husband had one of the graph paper ones from back when you could get them at B&N (he also used to really like the multi-paper spiral bound notebooks -- also formerly available at B&N) which had different sections -- color coded on the paper edges -- containing graph paper, lined paper, pages that had four boxes to do diagrams or drawings, and possibly also unlined pages) and I stole a page from the graph paper journal just to try the paper.  Then found a 400 page one a number of years ago at Bob Slate Stationers on a trip to the Boston area.  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

love the 600 page Miquelrius notebooks

Been looking for an A5 on AMZ UK for months and found one recently.  Basicos MR

Add lightness and simplicate.

An alternative to Miquel Rius notebooks is the similar zequenz. The main difference is that the zequenz is more flexible which makes it a bit easier to use. I like the paper in both, but don't really like the thick notebook format.

When I looked at zequenz on Amazon some time ago, they made a notebook like the MR with 600 pages. Now the most I see is 400 pages (200 sheets). zequenz on amazon

Thanks for the updated information about where to find these and the alternate suggestions.

I just opened a 300 page A6 MR notebook last Thursday. Had finished an A5 Rhodia and took the reconstituted leather, soft cover black A6 MR to a meeting. Didn't remember how soft the paper of the 1839 series was.

Me I've used them since... well, forever. I didn't know actually. I just bought little black notebooks. Then at some point I moved to Moleskine and to larger Paperblanks... Some 7 years ago I decided to go back to old, loved little black books for a project in Africa where I'd had to move a lot and take lots of notes. I had a look at the old notebooks from my school days and found many of them where Miquelrius, in an uncoated paper that was -obviously for I always wrote with FP- very FP friendly. When I looked at modern notebooks, paper was softer and coated (or feels like). I miss the feedback of old "raw" paper, but... I do have a stock of notebooks of various sorts and brand to go through for now.

So, this thread got me to ponder. I just went to Amazon.es (MR is a Spanish brand) and seems these series is no longer sold (I'd swear it was listed last summer), but there are plenty of alternatives. An interesting one I'll have to test is this other from Miquelrius, https://www.amazon.es/Miquelrius-MR8076-Reciclado-Colección-Butterflies, Midori type. You can go to Miquelrius store on Amazon from that link.

But as mentioned, there are other brands. From my experience, most notebook papers from Europe tend to still be pretty good, at least from known brands. English Oxford, French Clairefontain/Rhodia, Spain Miquelrius and Liderpapel, that come to mind now, and there are plenty of handmade, great quality papers. But in general, in EU, I haven't seen a shortage of B&M shops, and even most supermarkets carry well-known brands (notably Oxford), heck! even Chinese bazaars carry Canson or similar and good watercolor papers, so it is easier to just drop by a B&M and feel the touch of paper. Even Zara carries from time to time nice paper (I got several good thick pocketbooks at Zara Home). But, for me, it is the feeling of paper at touch what tells me the quality.

Which is to say, I only shop for paper online when looking for non-EU paper, so can be of little help.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

On 1/29/2022 at 7:19 AM, txomsy said:

I just opened a 300 page A6 MR notebook last Thursday. Had finished an A5 Rhodia and took the reconstituted leather, soft cover black A6 MR to a meeting. Didn't remember how soft the paper of the 1839 series was.

Me I've used them since... well, forever. I didn't know actually. I just bought little black notebooks. Then at some point I moved to Moleskine and to larger Paperblanks... Some 7 years ago I decided to go back to old, loved little black books for a project in Africa where I'd had to move a lot and take lots of notes. I had a look at the old notebooks from my school days and found many of them where Miquelrius, in an uncoated paper that was -obviously for I always wrote with FP- very FP friendly. When I looked at modern notebooks, paper was softer and coated (or feels like). I miss the feedback of old "raw" paper, but... I do have a stock of notebooks of various sorts and brand to go through for now.

So, this thread got me to ponder. I just went to Amazon.es (MR is a Spanish brand) and seems these series is no longer sold (I'd swear it was listed last summer), but there are plenty of alternatives. An interesting one I'll have to test is this other from Miquelrius, https://www.amazon.es/Miquelrius-MR8076-Reciclado-Colección-Butterflies, Midori type. You can go to Miquelrius store on Amazon from that link.

But as mentioned, there are other brands. From my experience, most notebook papers from Europe tend to still be pretty good, at least from known brands. English Oxford, French Clairefontain/Rhodia, Spain Miquelrius and Liderpapel, that come to mind now, and there are plenty of handmade, great quality papers. But in general, in EU, I haven't seen a shortage of B&M shops, and even most supermarkets carry well-known brands (notably Oxford), heck! even Chinese bazaars carry Canson or similar and good watercolor papers, so it is easier to just drop by a B&M and feel the touch of paper. Even Zara carries from time to time nice paper (I got several good thick pocketbooks at Zara Home). But, for me, it is the feeling of paper at touch what tells me the quality.

Which is to say, I only shop for paper online when looking for non-EU paper, so can be of little help.

Thank you for the info.