Identification help--haven't seen three cap bands before

lflsqrl

I somewhat accidentally won an auction on eBay (bad things happen when you forget to put a period between the dollars and cents in your bid but luckily I won for not too much more than what I was willing to bid anyway) for an Eversharp and I have no idea what I actually bought. It's not a Skyline, but maaaaaybe it's one of the late model Symphonies?

Low-resolution images are included in the post. Here's a link to larger images: https://imgur.com/a/85KRQ8Q

Details:
  • Dark navy blue body, seems to be plastic, but it smells pretty bad and maybe feels...sticky? Might just be age and/or how it was stored, but I don't want to try to clean it until I have a better idea of what it is
  • Screw cap
  • Three cap bands; two narrow silver-colored bands on either side of a wide gold-colored band
  • Gold-colored cap clip, no double-check warranty marks. Top imprint is, "MADE / IN / USA," followed by EVERSHARP stamped vertically down the clip
  • 14k nib, a little flexy, with the Eversharp banner imprint, seems to be in fantastic shape
  • Lever seems to be in good shape, haven't pulled the section yet
  • The body is a little warped

Measurements (very approximate):
Capped: 5 1/2" (13.97 cm); 12g
Uncapped: 4 7/8" (12.38 cm); 8g
Cap: 2 3/8" (6.03 cm); 4g
Nib: 3/4" (1.90 cm)
Grip width: 1/4" (0.64 cm)
Body width: 3/8" (0.94 cm)

Written measurements and pen resting on cap

Capped

Closeup of cap and bands

Closeup of nib

Closeup of feed

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lflsqrl

• joss

• Paul-in-SF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is an odd combination, three bands of which two in silver and one in gold. The plastic cap with a wide gold band can be found on some "Symphony-like" pens that were made in France. But the wide band on the cap of your pen sits much higher than normal. Also the second narrow band sits at an odd place, just below the clip. I think that the pen did not come like this from the factory. You can check the inside of the cap to see whether the wide band may cover a cap lip repair.

The cap (aside from the bands) looks like a later plastic Symphony. I have a 917 with a single broad chrome cap band, that's as close as I can come. The largest bands were also ribbed, which isn't the case with yours. 

Richard Binder's site has a list of plastic Symphony models based on cap bands and the furniture material, but he doesn't mention any with three bands. Here is the link if you don't already have it:

http://www.richardspens.com/ref/profiles/symphony.htm

On 2/1/2022 at 1:28 PM, joss said:

It is an odd combination, three bands of which two in silver and one in gold. The plastic cap with a wide gold band can be found on some "Symphony-like" pens that were made in France. But the wide band on the cap of your pen sits much higher than normal. Also the second narrow band sits at an odd place, just below the clip. I think that the pen did not come like this from the factory. You can check the inside of the cap to see whether the wide band may cover a cap lip repair.

I tried checking the cap with a flashlight and didn't see anything that would indicate a repair. Then again, maybe I don't know what I'm looking for besides obvious cracks/lines from repaired cracks?

On 2/1/2022 at 2:51 PM, Paul-in-SF said:

The cap (aside from the bands) looks like a later plastic Symphony. I have a 917 with a single broad chrome cap band, that's as close as I can come. The largest bands were also ribbed, which isn't the case with yours. 

Richard Binder's site has a list of plastic Symphony models based on cap bands and the furniture material, but he doesn't mention any with three bands. Here is the link if you don't already have it:

http://www.richardspens.com/ref/profiles/symphony.htm

Richard Binder's site is what led me to believe that this is a Symphony, but you're right, there aren't any with three bands.