Montblanc James Purdey & Sons Meisterstück Great Masters Rollerball Pen some photos + a question for you!

christianch

Hello everyone!

It has been a while since my last post but I wanted to share some quick photos of the Montblanc James Purdey & Sons Meisterstück Great Masters Rollerball Pen  that I receive today.

The photos are not great but I hope would still be of interest. In the past I have bought several Montblanc LE fountain pens but I have now realized that the Rollerball is a great option for me for everyday use.

This special edition (not limited but I don't think they made many of these pieces) was released in 2019 yet I was able to found, as it is often the case for limited or special editions, the rollerball but not the fountain pen.

So here is my question: are fountain pens LE more popular than the rollerball because of wider choice of ink, more fun in using them or ....

Since the price difference between the roller (which obviously has no gold nib 😁) and the rollerball is not that substantial I was just intrigued to hear from other enthusiast why the fountain pen is often the first choice for these

limited or special editions ? Are collectors/enthusiast only interested in the fountain pens and not the rollerball versions ?

Sorry if it sounds too obvious but I just enjoy the writing experience of the rollerball (in this case mistery black LeGrand, I think there are only 2 colors for the LeGrand roller refills, right?) has been outstanding and very pleasant.  Dare I say even better than many fountain pens I own :)

Thanks for letting me know!
Christian

IMG_3314.thumb.jpg.65b2eb3ae0e73277f9a82e6b3feff711.jpgIMG_3304.thumb.jpg.4fe21592134b8df17714cbf7934387c4.jpgIMG_3303.thumb.jpg.995c12fea35673d48b523428af0dcbd2.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christianch

• Arcadian

• agentdaffy007

• gerigo

I don't know much about rollerballs, and I frankly don't know that you'd get a lot of replies as this is a fountain pen group.

I have only one roller and this came with a 3 piece set from one of the Writer Editions. This I no longer own as I never picked it up. I just find the writing experience from a roller extremely boring as it is dead consistent and has no subtlety that comes with using a fountain pen. Also I simply cannot justify the cost of thousands for a casing for the roller ball refill when for a couple dollars more, I can get a fountain pen.

I believe Montblanc has enabled the rollers to fit quite a few different options, including fineliners. I THINK, I cannot be certain, that you can get more than just black and blue refills.

I agree with you in terms of getting joy from using the rollerball versions of their nicer pens. I have found that a few drops of fountain pen ink can be added to the end of the refill after removing the plastic plug. Too much ink and it will run out the writing end of the refill. I have only tried Montblanc blue ink added to an original blue rollerball refill. 

Congratulations on your pen! It is beautiful! I have the fountain pen version of it ;)   

As to your question: It is my feeling that there is indeed a greater hunger for the fountain pen versions of Montblancs limited (and, in this case, Masters) edition pens. It seems often the case that authorised dealers are left with high-end ballpoints and rollers balls lying around their glass displays for years after the corresponding fountain pens have been bought. It is only my impression as a consumer, though. 

As to why there may be a preference for fountain pens, I believe it has to do with the problems and the messiness and the all-round wonderfulness that fountain pens bring to one's hand and, well, life. I think, and this is extrapolated from my own individual experience and preferences, that people are drawn to fountain pens for the same reason they may be drawn to old fashioned record players, vintage cars and actual silverware: The effort you put in to caring for and maintaining the thing, and the care one must take in putting it to use, enhances the rewarding experience of using them. 

- P. 

7 hours ago, gerigo said:

I don't know much about rollerballs, and I frankly don't know that you'd get a lot of replies as this is a fountain pen group.

I have only one roller and this came with a 3 piece set from one of the Writer Editions. This I no longer own as I never picked it up. I just find the writing experience from a roller extremely boring as it is dead consistent and has no subtlety that comes with using a fountain pen. Also I simply cannot justify the cost of thousands for a casing for the roller ball refill when for a couple dollars more, I can get a fountain pen.

I believe Montblanc has enabled the rollers to fit quite a few different options, including fineliners. I THINK, I cannot be certain, that you can get more than just black and blue refills.

Thank you for your reply, this is very interesting and useful. Indeed the roller is not as exciting as a fountain pen but, in some cases, works very well for me e.g. ink dying time when taking work-related notes.

7 hours ago, bradk said:

I agree with you in terms of getting joy from using the rollerball versions of their nicer pens. I have found that a few drops of fountain pen ink can be added to the end of the refill after removing the plastic plug. Too much ink and it will run out the writing end of the refill. I have only tried Montblanc blue ink added to an original blue rollerball refill. 

Thank you for your reply, I always ignored the "high-end" rollers in the part so perhaps for me is a new discovery. I am fine with the default montblanc refills without having to add ink :)

41 minutes ago, Arcadian said:

Congratulations on your pen! It is beautiful! I have the fountain pen version of it ;)   

As to your question: It is my feeling that there is indeed a greater hunger for the fountain pen versions of Montblancs limited (and, in this case, Masters) edition pens. It seems often the case that authorised dealers are left with high-end ballpoints and rollers balls lying around their glass displays for years after the corresponding fountain pens have been bought. It is only my impression as a consumer, though. 

As to why there may be a preference for fountain pens, I believe it has to do with the problems and the messiness and the all-round wonderfulness that fountain pens bring to one's hand and, well, life. I think, and this is extrapolated from my own individual experience and preferences, that people are drawn to fountain pens for the same reason they may be drawn to old fashioned record players, vintage cars and actual silverware: The effort you put in to caring for and maintaining the thing, and the care one must take in putting it to use, enhances the rewarding experience of using them. 

- P. 

Thank you for your reply and congratulations for the fountain pen version of this pen. I have to say that this is one of the best Montblanc special editions /limited editions. Somehow the meisterstrück shape is the best and doesn't have the annoying "step" in the section like many LE. Even with some of the LE 888 this is very impressive, the wood the engraving. Totally taken but how nice it is !!

Very good insight about the market dynamics, I also think that many dealers have the roller available for many LE/special editions well after all the fountain pens are sold.

Thanks again and enjoy your gorgeous pen too!

On 1/25/2022 at 6:59 PM, christianch said:

Sorry if it sounds too obvious but I just enjoy the writing experience of the rollerball (in this case mistery black LeGrand, I think there are only 2 colors for the LeGrand roller refills, right?) has been outstanding and very pleasant. 

Thanks for letting me know!
Christian

Congratulations, gorgeous pen! I personally really like the LeGrand Fineliner refill - I use and enjoy it in my Alfred Hitchcock RB pen… and yes, the writing experience is very pleasant. :) 

Just now, A1979 said:

Congratulations, gorgeous pen! I personally really like the LeGrand Fineliner refill - I use and enjoy it in my Alfred Hitchcock RB pen… and yes, the writing experience is very pleasant. :) 

Thank you, I also have the Hitchcock but FP version! Glad I have something different for once :) 

Congrats on your purchase.

I too just bought a Montblanc rollerball with the Legrand refill. I have been using it non-stop for the last few weeks. I find beauty in everything except for my ex-neighbor, lol.

The Legrand refill writes consistently which is very good. I heard horror stories about these refills. Once the ink runs out, I will refill it with Montblanc Racing Green since it's such a nice business color and Montblanc doesn't make Legrand refills in any other color than blue or black.

Here's my little Sterling Silver collection.

IMG_20220125_141532_01.jpg

6 hours ago, agentdaffy007 said:

Congrats on your purchase.

I too just bought a Montblanc rollerball with the Legrand refill. I have been using it non-stop for the last few weeks. I find beauty in everything except for my ex-neighbor, lol.

The Legrand refill writes consistently which is very good. I heard horror stories about these refills. Once the ink runs out, I will refill it with Montblanc Racing Green since it's such a nice business color and Montblanc doesn't make Legrand refills in any other color than blue or black.

Here's my little Sterling Silver collection.

IMG_20220125_141532_01.jpg

Beautiful! What is that middle one? I don’t seem to recognize it. 

- P.