Pilot Iroshizuku Sui-gyoku 翠玉 – a lazy review

A Smug Dill

Thanks for the review. Bit of a depressing ink, isn't it. I'll second what someone else said about how it's a shame they don't want to release a true green.

I grew up on Pilot pens and ink, but their modern policies suck, be it holding back the best pens (and basic inks) from international markets, or gleefully charging a 400% markup on their Iroshizuku inks in certain markets, such as the UK.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• AmandaW

• InesF

• Audrey T

On 1/23/2022 at 1:58 AM, A Smug Dill said:

Sui-gyoku is one of three new Pilot Iroshizuku colours released late in 2021.

Thank you for the review, what a lovely colour!

Thanks for the review. I actually really like this ink colour and maybe I will try to trade my bottle of Ku Jaku for it... that said I also feel like it's a shame to have removed Ina Ho and Tsukushi when Sui Gyoku is so close to Syo Ro & Ku Jaku.

• 4 months later...

I realize this post is old-er, but seeing as how the OP did such a good job reviewing this ink...I have a question:

@A Smug Dill - How would you compare this ink to Sailor - Studio # 941 (color wise, and performance wise)?

I actually like this color.  I currently have some of the Studio 941, but am contemplating ordering the Iroshizuku instead because it's about 50% of the price per unit.

The two brands look almost identical in shade to me (on the interwebz anyway).  I only have the Sailor Studio 941 to view in person.

I think these reviews are anything but lazy!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

3 hours ago, FlyingClay said:

… seeing as how the OP did such a good job reviewing this ink…

Thanks.

3 hours ago, FlyingClay said:

@A Smug Dill - How would you compare this ink to Sailor - Studio # 941 (color wise, and performance wise)?

I cannot compare them, because in spite of my having ~450 different inks in retail bottles and I-don't-know-how-many samples of others, I don't actually have any Sailor Ink Studio inks. I came close to ordering some time and time again, but the price per millilitre (even after applying site-wide discounts) always held me back, to the point of making me feel not curious enough about the product line. Thus, I don't know how I would compare them. 🤔

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Nice review and compliments for your handwriting(s) ASD!

Uninspiring change in Iro’s line-up though. An unnecessary 3rd teal, a yellow, and a pink. One out of three for me I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

It seems I’m in the minority in liking this ink. I’ve just used a sample in my Pilot 912 SF and I think it’s quite nice. Is it fancy or exciting? No, not really. But I think the color is pleasant and it has enough punch to be readable (I don’t like light or faint inks). The performance is quite good which is one reason I reach for Iroshizuku in the first place. 

Many complaints have to do with the color relative to the already-existing Iroshizuku lineup. That’s fair. I’m just as perplexed as anyone as to why Pilot refreshed the line in this way.

As it stands I just see this as a very nice, usable option for those who want another choice in the green or teal family. I may actually pick up a full bottle.

Oh, and if memory serves me this ink is reminiscent of the Edelstein “Aquamarine” ink from 2016. Oddly enough I recall not caring for that ink. 🤷‍♂️

17 minutes ago, sketchstack said:

Oh, and if memory serves me this ink is reminiscent of the Edelstein “Aquamarine” ink from 2016.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/367005-quick-comparison-pelikan-edelstein-apatite-vs-other-edelstein-blues/#comment-4545765

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2022 at 4:37 PM, FlyingClay said:

I realize this post is old-er, but seeing as how the OP did such a good job reviewing this ink...I have a question:

I actually like this color.  I currently have some of the Studio 941, but am contemplating ordering the Iroshizuku instead because it's about 50% of the price per unit.

The two brands look almost identical in shade to me (on the interwebz anyway).  I only have the Sailor Studio 941 to view in person.

941 is quite blue and darker/more saturated than Sui Gyoku.  It's much more similar to KWZ IG Turquoise.  Performance-wise too, 941 is a more typical Sailor ink in performance, whereas Iro inks generally are a bit more "watery" and free flowing.  Tsuki-Yo would be closer in color to 941 rather than Sui-Gyoku, but not a good match.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.”