Pilot Iroshizuku Sui-gyoku 翠玉 – a lazy review

A Smug Dill

Sui-gyoku is one of three new Pilot Iroshizuku colours released late in 2021.

Photo:

large.516394014_DelikeNewMoon2withbentEFnibwritingsampleinPilotIroshizukuSui-gyokuphoto.jpg.3b8e75228cfbc938b398988f37e98b20.jpg

Scan:

large.1271158471_PilotIroshizukuSui-gyokureviewsheet-overview.jpg.df04aa5f6863adb70f80b108a4cfbd0c.jpglarge.103886260_PilotIroshizukuSui-gyokureviewsheet-details.jpg.920c0610934532f5927abed1bcb2197a.jpg

(Some other colour comparisons can be found here.)

p.s. No show-through, no bleed-through, and no sheen observed.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• AmandaW

• InesF

• Audrey T

Oh no. Maybe I ordered the wrong ink for my Pilot 74 Turquoise EF after all. I definitely wanted a teal and it had to be an Iro ink (hoping it would be wet enough to overcome the pen's dryness). Getting the 'right' teal - sheesh - I changed that cart so many times! That seemed such a well defined criteria  it would be a straightforward purchase decision. Not. Spoiled for choice. Isn't it wonderful? :blush:

Will work for pens... :unsure:

2 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

Maybe I ordered the wrong ink for my Pilot 74 Turquoise EF after all.

I didn't do a colour comparison of your Pilot Custom 74 when it was on hand; but judging by the product images, I'd say Syo-ro is a better match for the barrel colour, as Sui-gyoku is quite green-leaning. (After all, it's named after jade.)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Well, neither the color in the photo nor the one in the scan interests me in the slightest, so thank you for letting me know what ink not to investigate. :D  Thanks for sharing this with us.

Doesn't appear that it's available in the US yet, though it can be ordered from Australia or Italy. Or eBay, but I've never risked that for ink.

22 minutes ago, lgsoltek said:

I had hoped Iroshizuku could come up with a true green (Shin-ryoku is too blue) or a yellowish green,

How about Hotaru-bi, another of the three new Iroshizuku colours?

pilot-iroshizuku-hotaru-bi_4.jpg

Source: LarryPOST

Lovely review - thank you so much for doing some of these again @A Smug Dill it really is appreciated.

Sadly, I'm also unconvinced on this one. And the new light green just looks like a yellower, lighter version of its predecessor. I still don't quite get what they think they've achieved with these new colours.

32 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

I still don't quite get what they think they've achieved with these new colours.

A run on the remaining bottles of the colours which were deleted? :(

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Thanks to you for this nice (IYAM non-lazy) review and to the ever-increasing hoard of other non-tealers for encouraging me to go easy on my wallet.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks for the review, not a fan of the ink. And to think that 3 wonderful colors were axed to make room for this and its 2 just as uninspiring companions... *sad noises*

Thanks for all the feedback about the ink. Hence my earlier lament:

On 1/16/2022 at 4:18 PM, A Smug Dill said:

I can't make Sui-gyoku more interesting, in the face of comments of how uninspiring it is and how close it is to Ku-Jaku, Syo-ro, etc. (in the context of which new colours Pilot introduced to replace which Iroshizuku colours) that it does not seem worth getting in its own right.

and why it took me more than two weeks to even post this as a review. The ink's colour is nice enough, and performance characteristics on paper quite acceptable, but it's just so… ordinary and pedestrian.

I'm not such a huge fan of Pilot Iroshizuku Tsukushi myself (but I don't dislike it); and had I know two members of my wife's family would ‘insist on’ spending money to give me a bottle of ink each for Christmas, I'd have asked for this (because it's new and I'd want to experiment) and a bottle of Tsukushi. My parents-in-law were asked specifically to just give me one of their spare generic-brand toner cartridges (as my printer, which is the same as theirs, has been complaining “Toner Low” for weeks amounting to months by now… and it's still printing), and that would be all, so I was surprised when my MIL presented me with a second bottle of this on the day.

This one I can definitely pass on -- not a shade of green I care for.  But thanks for the review (and my wallet thanks you as well).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 1/23/2022 at 1:58 AM, A Smug Dill said:

Sui-gyoku is one of three new Pilot Iroshizuku colours released late in 2021.

Thank you @A Smug Dill for this lazy review - which doesn't appear to be THAT lazy. 😄

The colour comparison is the most important part for me, as I'm always seeking teal inks. The one in the middle of the original five may be the perfect colour match, although, I would like it to be more saturated.

The FWP Bluegrass Velvet is also on my list, but a bit too expensive for an experiment.

One life!

33 minutes ago, InesF said:

Thank you @A Smug Dill for this lazy review - which doesn't appear to be THAT lazy. 😄

You're welcome. My explanation of what I mean by ‘lazy’ is here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/364582-sailor-shikiori-wakauguisu-若鶯-–-a-lazy-review/#comment-4504153

35 minutes ago, InesF said:

The colour comparison is the most important part for me, as I'm always seeking teal inks.

I always try to include the reference greyscale and colour patches to provide a frame of reference, instead of ‘provide’ a different, relative frame of reference by comparing against similar colours (which I think could take the focus away from the ink under review).

Thanks for this eminently NOT lazy review! :thumbup:

Not a colour I'm really fond of, but I have to say it rather reminds me of Sheaffer (Slovenian) Skrip Green.