Why some of us have to use a paint dropcloth instead of blotting paper

Audrey T

9 hours ago, lapis said:

Well, to be honest -- because I was in a very big hurry -- when I knocked over a whole bottle of Tiananmen which then fell onto the wooden floor under my desk, I couldn't think of anything faster, and get a hold of anything faster than a big handful of ahh-y'know paper to soak it all up. The bottle survived but the lid broke. I don't blame the ink, but Nathan for filling the §$%&/ things up and over the brim before he gets the lids on.

The last new bottle of Noodler's I opened was a bottle of standard Blue(an ink with a nice that would be great if I only ever wrote on crummy paper, but never dries on the good stuff). As has become my standard practice with inks of this brand, I put the bottle in a disposable Tupperware-type to prevent any inadvertent spills.

In this particular case, without really thinking too much, I plunged a 149 down into the top of the bottle. As soon as the section went in, ink started sloshing over the rim of the bottle. Of course figuring at that point I'd just plunge ahead, I started the piston down, which only caused the ink to "bubble" and more spill out.

On other more recent bottles, for the first fill I often use a syringe or a Pasteur pipette to draw off a couple of mL and transfer to a sample vial. This at least drops the level in the neck down a bit to where it's somewhat less "dangerous" to handle, and then I can fill out of a sample vial.

At least the container saved it from my desk, but, like you, I also like the Noodler's labels and incidents like this almost invariably lead to staining the label with ink. Noodler's Blue doesn't have anything particularly interesting on it, but some of the labels certainly can keep you looking for a while...

I know Nathan wants you to feel like you're getting your moneys worth, but really I'd give up a couple mL in the bottle that there's a decent chance of me spilling anyway. Also, we are often admonished to shake Noodler's bottles before use, but with no air space in a fresh bottle your "shaking" is somewhat less effective than if there were at least a bit.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Audrey T

• lapis

• squirrels

• JulieParadise

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Our light grey sofa & armchair set once belonged to an ink-loving friend of mine, and I am always bemused when I see the ink marks it carries. I think I know which inks these belong to: Diamine Shimmering Tropical glow and Montblanc Red Fox. 🤭

7 hours ago, squirrels said:

EDIT: Actually, I still have the shirt, so here's a photo:

1947025694_20220120_1839012.thumb.jpg.e4c1171d9beb8fc227ccf35c7ade9610.jpg

Sort of reminds me of a shot I saw in "Medical Detectives".

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

10 hours ago, Audrey T said:

In that case, before long you are going to be like me and have all paint/ink clothes other than the clothes I would only wear to a wedding or funeral. I even have paint/ink pajamas 🙄

5 hours ago, lapis said:

Sort of reminds me of a shot I saw in "Medical Detectives".

🤣

Instagram handle: wellofdrawledge

10 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

Majestic or no, I mean Purple as in Mystique.  

Oh, dark and mysterious!

On 1/20/2022 at 8:49 PM, Audrey T said:

I'd love to see a photo of one of "ink bottles on a (rectangular) glass or porcelain plate, the size of a kidney tray."

Two shots as promised. Sorry or the delay (two neighbours died lately [over and above Meat Loaf and Hardy Kruger]).

spacer.png

spacer.png

The P51 and Gilson 2000 µl pipette are also there for size comparison.

BTW these trays don't have to be made out of glass or porcelain; you can always use any plastic materials. You can clean anything (at least partly) if there are ink stains on it. Not so with all desks and/or floors or rugs etc. Of course, you need a few stains here and there to let people know what you need most.

Finally, here's the old photo of the floor under my desk 14 years ago. The "redness" on the wood is still present, although it has weakened a bit over the years.

spacer.png

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)