Jump to content
Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Why some of us have to use a paint dropcloth instead of blotting paper


Audrey T
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • lapis

    6

  • JulieParadise

    2

  • squirrels

    3

  • Audrey T

    11

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't get it. Sure, a lot of spilled ink can use a lot of soaking to get rid of it (at least its fluid excess) but why not just use a few layers of kitchen roll? Or even more ahh-y'know paper? Or blotting paper. Or a whole big blotter?

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, lapis said:

I don't get it.

Perhaps the splatter was made by putting the card on a drop-cloth (to protect the surrounding area) and dripping the ink from high up - for lots of splatter effect?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, lapis said:

I don't get it. Sure, a lot of spilled ink can use a lot of soaking to get rid of it (at least its fluid excess) but why not just use a few layers of kitchen roll? Or even more ahh-y'know paper? Or blotting paper. Or a whole big blotter?

I spilt most of a 10ml bottle -- this is just the metaphorical allusion to the big mess (created when I decided to salvage a little of the puddle by dipping the Col-O-Ring card in it slightly). Sorry, that was a bit obscure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Perhaps the splatter was made by putting the card on a drop-cloth (to protect the surrounding area) and dripping the ink from high up - for lots of splatter effect?

Thank you, but you're giving me way too much credit! No forethought involved -- just dredging up a bit of the remains as an afterthought.... :-[

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, to be honest -- because I was in a very big hurry -- when I knocked over a whole bottle of Tiananmen which then fell onto the wooden floor under my desk, I couldn't think of anything faster, and get a hold of anything faster than a big handful of ahh-y'know paper to soak it all up. The bottle survived but the lid broke. I don't blame the ink, but Nathan for filling the §$%&/ things up and over the brim before he gets the lids on.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, lapis said:

Well, to be honest -- because I was in a very big hurry -- when I knocked over a whole bottle of Tiananmen which then fell onto the wooden floor under my desk, I couldn't think of anything faster, and get a hold of anything faster than a big handful of ahh-y'know paper to soak it all up. The bottle survived but the lid broke. I don't blame the ink, but Nathan for filling the §$%&/ things up and over the brim before he gets the lids on.

Yes, I wonder why he fills them up that far.... I myself regularly knock over the 10ml size from Herbin and others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Audrey T said:

Yes, I wonder why he fills them up that far.... I myself regularly knock over the 10ml size from Herbin and others.

Try to place those glasses or ink vials into something bigger or heavier, like washi tape rolls or a scotch tape dispenser.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JulieParadise said:

Try to place those glasses or ink vials into something bigger or heavier, like washi tape rolls or a scotch tape dispenser.

Preferably made from lead, in my case 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I usually open full N. ink bottles on a (rectangular) glass or porcelain plate, the size of a kidney tray. All other bottles don't need that. I know, I know, I otta stop getting off-topic but the only things which I do adore and respect about most N. inks (over and above a few color-exceptions, like Tiananmen) are the labels on the bottles.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, lapis said:

I usually open full N. ink bottles on a (rectangular) glass or porcelain plate, the size of a kidney tray. All other bottles don't need that. I know, I know, I otta stop getting off-topic but the only things which I do adore and respect about most N. inks (over and above a few color-exceptions, like Tiananmen) are the labels on the bottles.

It's not really off-topic, if the topic is getting messy with ink 😉

 

I'd love to see a photo of one of "ink bottles on a (rectangular) glass or porcelain plate, the size of a kidney tray."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, please wait a bit. I'll also try to fish out an old shot of the wooden floor, too....

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, lapis said:

Okay, please wait a bit. I'll also try to fish out an old shot of the wooden floor, too....

That would be fun, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Audrey T said:

the topic is getting messy with ink 😉

Well in that case, I will take a moment to share about the time when I was very nervous and distracted, and managed to clip a pen to my shirt pocket, thinking that it was capped, when in reality it was posted. By the time I noticed, literally all of the ink had made its way (by capillary action) into the fabric of the shirt.

 

The ink in question was Noodler's Walnut, which is good, in the sense that I don't think I'm running out of that particular ink any time soon, but also bad, in the sense that it is quite water resistant, so I don't think it's ever going to wash out. At least the shirt was already in bad condition.

 

I guess that's what pocket protectors are for 🤔

 

EDIT: Actually, I still have the shirt, so here's a photo:

1947025694_20220120_1839012.thumb.jpg.e4c1171d9beb8fc227ccf35c7ade9610.jpg

I actually think the color combination is pretty nice, but it does interrupt the pattern somewhat

Edited by squirrels
illustration

Instagram handle: wellofdrawledge

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today I was shaking a bottle of Diamine Shimmertastics only to discover that the lid was not fully secured. The oak floor has recovered, I can't say the same for my clothes.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, squirrels said:

Well in that case, I will take a moment to share about the time when I was very nervous and distracted, and managed to clip a pen to my shirt pocket, thinking that it was capped, when in reality it was posted. By the time I noticed, literally all of the ink had made its way (by capillary action) into the fabric of the shirt.

 

The ink in question was Noodler's Walnut, which is good, in the sense that I don't think I'm running out of that particular ink any time soon, but also bad, in the sense that it is quite water resistant, so I don't think it's ever going to wash out. At least the shirt was already in bad condition.

 

I guess that's what pocket protectors are for 🤔

 

EDIT: Actually, I still have the shirt, so here's a photo:

1947025694_20220120_1839012.thumb.jpg.e4c1171d9beb8fc227ccf35c7ade9610.jpg

I actually think the color combination is pretty nice, but it does interrupt the pattern somewhat

When this happens (ink or paint), I consider that the shirt has volunteered to be an inking/painting shirt. You always need more of those.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, amberleadavis said:

Today I was shaking a bottle of Diamine Shimmertastics only to discover that the lid was not fully secured. The oak floor has recovered, I can't say the same for my clothes.

What color did you end up being?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Audrey T said:

When this happens (ink or paint), I consider that the shirt has volunteered to be an inking/painting shirt. You always need more of those.

This is a great idea! though I do have a tendency of forgetting to actually bring paint clothes when I'm going to paint 😅.

Instagram handle: wellofdrawledge

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, squirrels said:

This is a great idea! though I do have a tendency of forgetting to actually bring paint clothes when I'm going to paint 😅.

In that case, before long you are going to be like me and have all paint/ink clothes other than the clothes I would only wear to a wedding or funeral. I even have paint/ink pajamas 🙄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Audrey T said:

What color did you end up being?

 

Majestic or no, I mean Purple as in Mystique.  

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share








×
×
  • Create New...