Pen loops on Planner Notebook Covers - Pain or Pleasure?

DrDebG

I am considering obtaining another notebook cover for my Hobinichi Cousin planner.  The covers that Hobinichi sells, and all of their following, include a pair of pen loops that act as closures for the cover.  Here's an example: 

Hobonichi Techo Cousin & Cover - A5 Japanese - Glen Plaid - 2022 Jan Start - HOBONICHI 3-CSC-22-012J

My question to those who have used these types of covers - are the pen loops worthwhile, or do they get in the way?  

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• DrDebG

• inkstainedruth

• Karmachanic

The logic of the design is sound, but the user first has to decide whether he/she is comfortable with the pen used in such a manner being exposed and banging against other objects in one's bag/briefcase/knapsack, and have a candidate pen in mind. It's not going to be good protection for the edges of the pages, and if the pen has a metal body, isn't necessarily good for whatever else one carries along with the notebook/cover either.

At least the pen loop(s) shown would accommodate what appears to be a Sailor Profit Standard-sized pen, so one isn't limited to using a Lamy cp1 or Sailor Chalana.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I liked the idea, but worried about the potential for my pen to be scratched, it's cap lost or the pen falling out. I will follow along with interest to hear what people who have actually used a pen loop have to report to see if my worrywart was being overactive.

(I ordered a Lihit Lab notebook cover instead because it has a pen pocket.)

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Just now, AmandaW said:

… it's cap lost or the pen falling out.

As pictured, a pen with a screw-cap will not be uncapped (unless it's a Pelikan Classic or Souverän) with that design. The wide elastic band is gripping tightly onto the cap, and so it can't rotate; and there is nothing on the barrel or end finial for other objects to grip/catch onto and apply torque, to rotate and unscrew it from the cap.

Of course, if the above is just an example or concept being floated, then on the actual object (and with one's pen of choice for the purpose) the pen loop's elastic may not actually stretch and sit around the cap ring and/or the widest part of the pen cap.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Thank you for your comments.  I believe that you are confirming my concerns with having one of my precious fountain pens so exposed in my briefcase.  I am a bit protective with my pens and generally carry them in a seperate pen hardshell pen case.  

Actually I am having the notebook cover made and the pen loops are an option that I was considering.  

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I keep weighing the pros and cons of pen loops.  For me, the issue is less about potential damage to the pen (after all, I store inked up pens in a metal canister) than about whether the loops can be reusable from notebook to notebook -- because if I have to keep buying new ones, that adds to the cost of the notebooks themselves and I'm not sure the price is low enough to warrant losing them when the notebook is full up.  Especially as opposed to the cost of pen sleeves or cases that are reusable.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

I'm not sure the price is low enough to warrant losing them when the notebook is full up.  Especially as opposed to the cost of pen sleeves or cases that are reusable.

I'm pretty sure @DrDebG is talking about a pen loop on a notebook cover that is reusable by design, and that she's going to commission/pay someone to make for her.

When the (not inexpensive) Hobonichi Techo planner inside is used up, she can just replace it with another one next year, without the notebook cover, or the pen loop that would be part and parcel of it, losing any value.

Perhaps you should consider a reusable notebook cover?

Every time I've looked into a reusable cover, the price of those did not justify it -- with a loop or without.  

A lot of random notebooks I have are cheap composition books that I buy during back to school sales for 50¢ apiece or less.  They're good enough for my purposes.  Ditto for the small date books and the mini-composition books I buy to keep track of  expenditures (both of which I buy at the local Dollar Tree).  If those are not the best FP happy paper?  I don't care.  

Even the Miquelrius 600 page journals don't need "covers".  And those ARE made with better paper and have a good capacity at a reasonable price and I tend to stock  up on them whenever possible.  Because I tend to run through a couple of them and then some per year.

Frankly, "covers" seem to me to be just a way to part a fool and his money -- a case of trying to "keep up with the Joneses".  That might be necessary in some jobs, but I'm married to a software engineer who wears t-shirts to zoom meetings (he particularly likes one that shows a grizzled old guy in chainmail that says "Beware of an old man in a profession where men die young"... :lol:).  And if said notebooks are  out in the rain?  I don't see how the extra expensive covers will protect the writing any better than a ziplock bag will at a fraction of the price of a "cover".

I've looked into the replaceable fillers for stuff like the Hobonichi ones.  And frankly, even the inside pads are too pricy for my taste.  

YMMV but I've repeatedly described myself in threads as being a commutate cheapskate.  My husband and I drive ten year old cars where the loans were paid off early (by me) in both cases.  The mortgage got paid off several months early JUST so we could get out of the bank that issued it entirely, when they started charging us $3 US a month for paper statements!  As in "SAYONARA!  WE ARE OUT OF HERE!"  And I really liked the people who worked in the local branch -- but I felt ZERO need to pay for the bank's TV ads with guys dressed up like they were helping write the Declaration of Independence in 1776....  

Sorry for venting but I also do NOT buy pens to NOT use (the only ones that aren't in use are vintage pens I haven't gotten up and running yet).  And that includes a Snorkel that was apparently NOS because it still had the nib sticker on the section when I bought it.  Had it checked out and then inked it up.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I don't personally find covers helpful for my general use, but there are cases where I'd definitely want one. If you're having one made and you are particular about the finish and care of your pens, then I don't think a regular loop would make you happy. However, you could have a pen pouch attached where the loop would usually go, designed to slot into the border of a slightly oversized cover. Assuming you use notebooks that are thick enough to match the thicknesses of your pens, then you could have an excellent and safe way of carrying your pens without worrying about damaging them. 

If you are worried about the pen, then I would rather advise a notebook pen holder as a complement to the notebook cover. I mean, one of those thingies that attach to the cover and provide a pen pouch, like, e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Notebook-Notebooks-Journals-20-3-21-6-Stitching/dp/B005XOMODE

or

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Hardcover-Journals-Notebooks-Detachable/dp/B07XKJ6Q8X?th=1

or any adjustable elastic band pen holder. There are some that can accommodate several pens. Even as many as

https://www.amazon.com/Journals-Notebooks-Pencils-Durable-Detachable/dp/B07V9G3M3P?th=1

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Thank you all for your great comments.  I have found two beautiful leather notebook covers for both my Hobonichi planner and also for my Nanami Seven Seas journal.  They were handmade of high quality leather.  I got them from Stride Ridge in Canada.  They are beautiful and they were reasonably priced.  I will be doing a review on them shortly.  

Oh, yes.  I decided NOT to add pen loops.  I will use my pen cases as I have been doing.   But the leather notebook colors are very nice indeed.  

I use both the planner and journal for business purposes and need something that is professional in appearance.  These leather notebook covers fill that need. 

21 hours ago, DrDebG said:

Thank you all for your great comments.  I have found two beautiful leather notebook covers for both my Hobonichi planner and also for my Nanami Seven Seas journal.  They were handmade of high quality leather.  I got them from Stride Ridge in Canada.  They are beautiful and they were reasonably priced.  I will be doing a review on them shortly.  

Oh, yes.  I decided NOT to add pen loops.  I will use my pen cases as I have been doing.   But the leather notebook colors are very nice indeed.  

I use both the planner and journal for business purposes and need something that is professional in appearance.  These leather notebook covers fill that need. 

I'm not a fan of loop on notebook covers. I tend to use a book band to keep the notebook closed and add a pen if I want it. I usually don't attach the pen to the notebook tbh. Don't know of Star Ridge - their gear looks nice. Enjoy.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png