DIY writing slope

AmandaW

Showing off my home made writing slope - it may be an idea starter for someone else. Mine folds down for storage and can be adjusted by using one of several upright pieces cut to drop into the slots. It's the simplest thing that could be done using mostly things we already had.

It's A2 (450x600mm) because that's the size that would fit both my writing places - the desk by the window or my little standing desk (actually sold as a lectern). I already had the cutting mat and made the slope to fit. (Another surface such as strawboard or stick-on-felt would work well too, deciding that was the hardest part!) The rest is two pieces of MDF and a long hinge (mine was two pieces of piano hinge left over some other project). The underside is covered with thin self-adhesive felt to avoid scratching my desk.

large.slope_2.jpg.76970117ef99ef2369ac2e354f3461a4.jpglarge.slope_3.jpg.8da467f71eb167fc0f629fca97d7f94e.jpglarge.slope_1.jpg.c8fddbca1413b31971742ed934c1ebf6.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AmandaW

• OCArt

• Tasmith

• Catpaws

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice! Is there a ledge at the bottom to catch a rolling pen or would such a ledge interfere with your arm position?

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Oh, the picture of the desk by the window in the linked thread has disappeared. Will stick it here. Desk is tiny - actually sold by Ikea as a dressing table.

large.window_desk_sm.jpg.8be301ffa518b40ba57dc0cad93b8c53.jpg

1 minute ago, OCArt said:

Is there a ledge at the bottom to catch a rolling pen or would such a ledge interfere with your arm position?

Exactly! I chose not to have the ledge for arm comfort.

Just curious, what's the general topic of your book collection? I ask because you have so many that look to be about 30cm tall.

1 hour ago, AmandaW said:

Oh, the picture of the desk by the window in the linked thread has disappeared. Will stick it here. Desk is tiny - actually sold by Ikea as a dressing table.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

8 minutes ago, OCArt said:

Just curious, what's the general topic of your book collection? I ask because you have so many that look to be about 30cm tall.

Art. That's why the book case is also home-made - heavy duty to cope with the weight. :blush:

Edit to add: there are other bookcases for the shorter books.

Very cool!  What is it made from?  Looks sort of like painted plywood, but I could see making one out of some sort of plastic if one had the right sort of shop equipment (I'm remembering my 3D sculpture class in college, which was basically wood and metal shop fo art students -- some pieces were made of wood, and others were made from metal and plexiglass).  

Of course, to this day I'm still scared of band saws.... :blush:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

5 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

What is it made from?

It's mdf with a coat of paint. Grey, of course. :rolleyes:

Merely using what we had - mostly things left from other projects. Supply chain issues are biting here and store avoidance (cos the virus has got in anyway in spite of the closed borders) requires creative solutions in all sorts of ways. I just wanted a writing slope...