Nick Stewart Inspired Ink Washes

axialix

1 hour ago, PithyProlix said:

...To me, scans look unnatural and far from what the eye sees when it is looking directly at the ink and paper. That said, I think a scan is fine in itself as long as one doesn't consider it an approximation of what the eye sees directly.

Scanners don't work anything like an eye does. Eyes don't project their own light into a very controlled environment, for instance. A scanner has an array of light sensors and they are spread over a relatively large area. An eye has a lens and its sensors are grouped in a much smaller area.

A camera is much more like an eye than a scanner is. 

👍

Excellent explanation. I will add that scanners are more consistent than a photo. If you want the same light, same level of brightness/contrast for every ink to compare them, a scanner is probably the way to go. However, if you want to show off sheen or get better color reproduction, take a photo and adjust it in post (Photoshop, GIMP, etc.).

@squirrelsThat Vinta Armada is amazing! Rich mix of colors in that one. And love the palm tree. Good idea!

"O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever." Psalm 118:29

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• axialix

• yazeh

• mizgeorge

• squirrels

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Vinta Armada 😍

I'm really enjoying using these as backgrounds - this was going to be mountains, but didn't quite turn out as intended, and the palm tree inspired me!

Ink is Sailor x Cult Pens Suiseki

large.suiseki.jpg.f9e9e5236ee66071d56d8d4dc641a1e3.jpg

4 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

Vinta Armada 😍

I'm really enjoying using these as backgrounds - this was going to be mountains, but didn't quite turn out as intended, and the palm tree inspired me!

Ink is Sailor x Cult Pens Suiseki

Your sketch makes me trouble in a fictitious world of the Mummy with a dash of Indian Jones and Asterix and Cleopatra :D

Great composition @mizgeorge. The colors, the palm trees, the camels, everything just works perfectly. Well done mate!

"O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever." Psalm 118:29

Watercolor techniques are great and I’ve learned a lot about them doing these washes. However there’s only so much fun I can have with a paint brush. The real action and excitement for me is using an airbrush. So let’s see what kind of effects are possible with the big gun and also try some ink combinations:

Colorverse Supernova + Noodlers Apache Sunset:

large.supernova_apache_sunset.jpg.34371ea1bf8461dcdfbffa9d52573619.jpg

Sailor Yamadori + Diamine Imperial Purple:

large.yamadori_imperial_purple.jpg.805e26c433b25fdef0db195cd06845bd.jpg

Colorverse Supernova + Diamine Imperial Purple::

large.supernova_imperial_purple.jpg.fbebf186d97bd3f37b6959a150d0668f.jpg

Now I’m going to cheat and add some Createx Fluorescent Pink (CFP) airbrush paint:

Colorverse Space Laika + CFP

large.space_laika_createx_pink.jpg.3d48bb239d3967ffdd878e8d96b400f4.jpg

Colorverse Saturn V + CFP

large.saturnv_createx_pink.jpg.25d0334b160398536a1d75b92b32a0a5.jpg

Colorverse Black Hole + bleach

large.colorverse_black_hole_airbrush.jpg.084d97830040a6b321d95709ca8a5701.jpg

Sailor Black + bleach

large.sailor_black_airbrush.jpg.4ad5055265044e841a7992244e79c860.jpg

And finally, while not exactly an ink wash:

Colorverse Electron + Dr. Ph. Martin’s Iridescent Yellow:

large.colorverse_electron_airbrush.jpg.e74211b21baaaf22b08c28286750f4b0.jpg

A serious note about using airbrushes: ALWAYS follow good ventilation practices when atomizing any substance, especially inks; as in outside with gale force winds while wearing a respirator. I’m not joking. Some inks specifically state on their labels that they are for fountain pen use only. Whatever mold inhibitors, plant dyes, or pigments are added to inks that makes them look and behave well on paper, none of it is good for your health. While skin contact won’t kill you, it’s very different from inhaling these particles into your lungs. And NEVER put bleach through an airbrush. Apply with an old paint brush or an eyedropper. So have fun, but be safe.

Fab stuff there @axialix - I have to admit, the Sailor Black/bleach is my favourite, but I love the space mountains as well.

I'm not allowed an airbrush in the house any more. I make too much mess!

5 minutes ago, yazeh said:

@axialixThis is beyond phenomenal. Some of them look like Sci-fi backdrops..... But like @mizgeorgeI truly appreciated the starkness of sailor black. and the lava flows of Black hole...

Hear, hear!

The black mountain sky of suspended leaves... 😍

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

On 2/11/2022 at 7:23 PM, axialix said:

A serious note about using airbrushes: ALWAYS follow good ventilation practices when atomizing any substance, especially inks; as in outside with gale force winds while wearing a respirator.

I took an airbrush class when I was in college.  I was mostly using gouache paint in mine, so I didn't worry so much --  but one of my classmates was doing a large piece using some much more toxic type of paint, at least as far as fumes went (don't remember what now, it's so long ago) in his dorm room without proper ventilation -- and the next class the guy was going "That is NOT a mistake I will EVER make again!"  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

8 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

I took an airbrush class when I was in college.  I was mostly using gouache paint in mine, so I didn't worry so much --  but one of my classmates was doing a large piece using some much more toxic type of paint, at least as far as fumes went (don't remember what now, it's so long ago) in his dorm room without proper ventilation -- and the next class the guy was going "That is NOT a mistake I will EVER make again!"  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

I've used gouache before as well. It is safe to airbrush, as are a lot of ink brands (Dr. Ph. Martin's for example). They are composed of plant based dyes or pigments and considered non-toxic.

Spray booths can be expensive. World renowned airbrush artist Dru Blair uses an ingenious solution for overspray: an air filter bungee-corded onto a box fan. Here is an image from his site describing how to make one for under $40.

boxfanfilter.jpg.b78707d0556d3b7e1c381ba4fa21ef00.jpg

Such beautiful artwork is gathered in this thread - always a joy to look at all of them. Thank you @axialix for starting it and to all others for contributing!

I can't stop looking at Colorverse Saturn and Black Hole images! :puddle:

One life!

I did a few more.

I like how this one turned out, but the silhouettes could probably be better. Colorverse Supernova

colorverse_supernova.thumb.jpg.b39089c5a3a0355ab424aefe6ce88fca.jpg

These two are solid but not too remarkable:

J. Herbin Perle Noire

HerbinPerleNoire.thumb.jpg.b1b8ad88481ba8c3f2961813cc4a1c10.jpg

Sailor Blue-Black

SailorBlueBlack.thumb.jpg.8f535baa333292481765c4fe9ca02ae9.jpg

This one, I was trying to get sort of a ruins-in-the-jungle aesthetic. Don't really like how it turned out, but the ink looks very cool. Colorverse Black Hole (?)

blackhole.thumb.jpg.d442b1199b7a9f2b042af654b7826510.jpg

Not too crazy about the size of the tree compared to the size of the island in this one. I don't think it really comes through in the photo, but the edges of the gray areas have some nice color separation (much more subtle than the above black). Colorverse Sunspot (?)

Colorverse_Sunspot.thumb.jpg.012c20b1fe6e85ebf18421121a85a23f.jpg

I might be getting Sun Spot and Black Hole mixed up

Instagram handle: wellofdrawledge

@squirrels You got the colors right. Black Hole separates into purplish tones.

I agree with@yazeh, the Supernova is brilliant! Really good wash and the silhouettes are perfect. Showing your drawing skills here as well. :)

9 hours ago, yazeh said:

I love the supernova...

The Sunspot drawing can be one of the many pacific Island in 20 years :(

😢 Unfortunately you are probably right

8 hours ago, axialix said:

You got the colors right. Black Hole separates into purplish tones.

Thanks! Such a pretty effect!

3 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

Oh! That supernova is gorgeous, and I love the silhouette - I like the jungle ruins a lot too. Nice stuff :)

Thanks for the support, everyone! I really want to revisit that Silhouette canoe template at some point.

Did a couple more, mostly with an eye to UV properties

Noodler's Akhmatova. This was my favorite of these. Fairly complex color and I like how the reflection of the canoe turned out better than the others.

akhmatova.thumb.jpg.88b8b431db54e9f2850ce7c0781502be.jpg

Vinta Makopa. I think I like how the silhouettes turned out best in this one.

makopa.thumb.jpg.075290e7b724cbd17348bfbdcdc39dd0.jpg

Vinta Pamana

pamana.thumb.jpg.022d6538988a121d34883345f32527e6.jpg