Sharing my simple joy - pictures of my pocket pens

Chi

11 minutes ago, Chi said:

It is ZOOM! which I am super excited about!!!!

I have two 21K fine in champagne body with white handle and the other in green handle. Both came to me as NOS but their nibs behave very differently. One is more springy and the other is pretty stiff/needle like.

I have been looking for one in Medium nib. As for the Zoom nib NOS is a very very pleasant surprise!!!

Wow! I've never seen - or even heard of - a Zoom on a pocket pen. Please show us when it arrives! 

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PithyProlix

• Chi

• awa54

• Number99

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/14/2022 at 6:12 PM, PithyProlix said:

Understood - somewhere between fully translucent & completely opaque. I have only one Platinum pocket pen with plastic not black - a lady pen with barrel and section in white - and it seems pretty much completely opaque, at least to me. This incoming red one is likely to come tomorrow - will be interesting to see!

@awa54

So, looks like no problems at all with the plastic - not even a scratch - looks almost like new. I'd say it is very tiny bit translucent - I can just barely barely see the section/barrel connector through the plastic, which I suppose is thinner there anyway. 

I'm a bit confused - is this the candy red or maroon/dark red? To me on my display, the picture I posted is very close to the actual color. I could see it called a candy apple red, but a quite dark one. It's a typical very dark lipstick color (which probably isn't all that helpful since lipstick comes in so many different colors).

The vintage pens I receive almost always come with an old cartridge installed or, if not, a converter - this one did not. Unfortunately I cannot test it because I don't have a spare converter and the only Platinum cartridges are these newer Chinese-made Platinum cartridges*, which, except for the lip, are complete cylindrical and are too wide to fit all the way back in the barrel.

* Actually, I have some vintage Platinum blue-black cartridges that are longer than standard Platinum cartridges. But those haven't fit in any Platinum I have, including a couple early model 3776s (flat cap and gathered). If anyone knows what those cartridges fit it would be interesting to know. 

14 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Wow! I've never seen - or even heard of - a Zoom on a pocket pen. Please show us when it arrives! 

Yeah, before finding this pen, I didn't know it is around either.

Definitely ink it up the first thing after I organize the package, already have an ink in mind that i would like to try with it.

Please check out my shop on Etsy - Sleepy Turandot

It turns out, my pilot stainless steel pen is part of the MYU series.

It is called Myu volex, H1278 (model number I guess.)

I learned something from browsing eBay today : )

3 hours ago, Chi said:

It turns out, my pilot stainless steel pen is part of the MYU series.

It is called Myu volex, H1278 (model number I guess.)

I learned something from browsing eBay today : )

Are you referring to your all steel Pilot with the section and nib integrated together? It's a MYU 701. The Volex is a related pen without an integrated section/nib. 

The H1278 code:

H = Hiratsuka factory

12 = December 

78 = 1978

2 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Are you referring to your all steel Pilot with the section and nib integrated together? It's a MYU 701. The Volex is a related pen without an integrated section/nib. 

Yeah, I do have a Pilot Myu I understand what you are referring to.

There are other models under the same series, which I learned from eBay,

Myu 25 which is a matte black steel nib pen

Myu Volex which is a stainless steel cap and body,steel nib pen, like the one I use with neon orange ink.

2 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

The H1278 code:

H = Hiratsuka factory

12 = December 

78 = 1978

This is very cool, thank you for sharing!

Google helped me find the "date code" thread  : )

3 hours ago, Chi said:

Yeah, I do have a Pilot Myu I understand what you are referring to.

There are other models under the same series, which I learned from eBay,

Myu 25 which is a matte black steel nib pen

Myu Volex which is a stainless steel cap and body,steel nib pen, like the one I use with neon orange ink.

Ah, I see - sorry for my miss. Didn't know about the MYU 25!

So it looks like you have all the 1970's MYUs - nice. The Volex is particularly attractive, I think. 

I have left my near-mint MYU 701 (fine) uninked, which is really rare for me to do, thinking I might save it for a special occasion or, gasp, sell it. How do you like your MYUs as writers? 

29 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

I have left my near-mint MYU 701 (fine) uninked, which is really rare for me to do, thinking I might save it for a special occasion or, gasp, sell it. How do you like your MYUs as writers? 

I inked up my Myu 701 Fine for a while. Travels well. It is a very dry writer and super stiff comparing to other steel nib from the same time period. I used a pigment ink, probably did not help either. After a couple months, I cleaned it up... IT IS SO HARD TO CLEAN...LOL. Because everything is connected together, it is really hard to tell when it is clean. I ran it through Ultrasonic cleaner a couple times... did not want any ink dried up inside. I am waiting on a couple new colors of Pilot Iroshizuku. Plan to try it again when new inks arrived.

I have not yet inked my Myu 25, Medium, but I assume it would be as smooth as Myu Volex, which I enjoy a lot.

I plan to save up and get one Myu 701 stripe, definitely will wait for a medium nib this time around.

Platinum Cherry Wood pocket pen is here ❤️

I have been wanted to get my hand on one since I saw it in FPoJ.

It is the only wood body pocket fountain pen ever on the market.

This one has 18K Medium nib.

IMG_0645.jpeg.33592ff2873c1a85c9e3bf0c3ffa4483.jpegIMG_0647.jpeg.d7787561471a634577d497050abce6fe.jpeg

As the moderator of this group I wish to thank everyone for your posts as they are the essence of what this forum is all about.

Thanks.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

1 hour ago, Chi said:

IMG_0645.jpeg.33592ff2873c1a85c9e3bf0c3ffa4483.jpegIMG_0647.jpeg.d7787561471a634577d497050abce6fe.jpeg

That is just DYNAMITE!

the Danitrio Fellowship

Here is the promised photo of Sailor 21K Zoom. I did not know it existed till I bought this pen. But I saw a couple in a sailor pocket pen listing on Japan Yahoo Auction. The listing is for a good few dozen sailor pocked pens and I spotted a couple same model Zoom pens.

IMG_0651.thumb.jpeg.4039149fb403c23809693184c7d53bc2.jpegIMG_0652.thumb.jpeg.8b635074130f911b06233c1649015bf8.jpegIMG_0653.thumb.jpeg.c066b5d9c548f954b3259c064170477b.jpegIMG_0654.thumb.jpeg.bf96ae89133f97e43d6af9b1fcdb7a6c.jpeg

Here is a little comparison I did with a few different Sailor pocket pen nibs I have. 

IMG_0655.thumb.jpeg.4f699498fd7bbc2897ef240159ce6a9f.jpeg

1 hour ago, stan said:

As the moderator of this group I wish to thank everyone for your posts as they are the essence of what this forum is all about.

Thanks.

Thank you too, @stan

I have learned so much from the collective knowledge of this community. Really wish I had discovered this little geek heaven earlier.

Just a quick update

on the zoom nib,

it really is amazing to write, especially with Traditional Chinese characters. I have not yet gotten a hang of the nib angle changing technique, but I do enjoy how broad and wet of the ink flow is comparing to regular sizing nibs.

on the cherry wood,

due to my personal habit of matching ink colors,

I am still in process of switching ink samples, LOL.

Will share pictures in near future for sure :)

IMG_0657.jpeg

On 1/18/2022 at 10:03 PM, Chi said:

Here is a little comparison I did with a few different Sailor pocket pen nibs I have. 

Wow, I really like the lines that the fine lays down.

On 1/18/2022 at 10:05 AM, Chi said:

The Platinum pocket pen in wood is somewhat rare - they can be difficult to find especially in a MEDIUM nib. With use the wood will take on a beautiful shiny patina. It should be a keeper.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

It really is difficult to pick favorites! Here are three that are great ones. No slight to Sailor intended - as I wrote, it's a tough choice.

Quickly done photos with indirect afternoon sunlight. Rhodia pad.

Platinum PK-1000 (pre-1968 with globe logo and globe on nib). The plain looks belie an absolutely magical nib - it's hard to believe it could be made of metal. It's only very slightly soft but the tactile feel is something like a brush when writing.

platinum_pk-1000.thumb.jpg.d055b0bc9f74a520adf0b91962889541.jpg

I have a number of vintage Pilot Elite pocket pens and any one of them could be here. Most of my writing is notes - typically, every day I write a few pages of notes on whatever I am reading - and Pilot's Script nib is my favorite for that. Plus this one stands out for the pretty red color and frosted champagne cap. (I wrote that the ink is Diamine Vivaldi but it isn't. Unfortunately I forgot to notate the ink on my spreadsheet when I re-inked it but I think it might be PenBBS 344 Mulberry.)

red_elite.thumb.jpg.7a05ff28d470f55e42f4c982c6b59ec1.jpg

This Platinum is very similar to the one @Chi chose. It just does everything right and has a unique look. The nib is actually softer than I previously remembered - no flex but a nicely cushioned feel. The photo misses the nib's white gold color, which is a piece with the finish of the barrel & section. 

platinum_flighter.thumb.jpg.2de212dc0113f7f001112acf9a67c412.jpg

@PithyProlix thank you for sharing! They are beautiful! 

I have not yet encountered a colorful elite yet. Mine are all classic blacks with gold trims.

I have exact same silver platinum You shared. I believe it is made of aluminum and have silver, gold, two versions.