Parker 45 nib wobble?

Darthagnon

recently repaired a Parker 45 bent nib. It writes infinitely better than it did, but I've noticed the nib wobbles up and down a little bit (~0.5mm?) against the feed. This makes it feel a little bit floaty/brush-like/extra flexible (? my first gold nib, not sure how flexible it's supposed to be) when writing, and I suspect causes it to hard-start due to broken ink flow. 

Can anyone offer any suggestions to stop the wobble? Is it one of those pens that needs heat-setting to the feed with boiling water? Should I try jamming a bit of paper/plastic/thin rubber in there? Has anyone else had or fixed this sort of problem before? I'd sure appreciate any advice; thank you, once again, for the previous times you've helped me!

Previously, the left tine was bent. I straightened it by rolling, which perhaps could have changed the shape of the rest of the nib (not that I can tell with the naked eye, though I do have a couple other 45s around I could compare to), allowing it to wobble. The feed is undamaged, and it writes "okay", quite wetly (gap between tines is probably a little wider than brand new, due to the repair). I'll post a writing sample/photos if anyone thinks they'd be useful... EDIT: Writing sample, using Diamine Matador ink. All Parker 45 lines are single, some of the reference Parker 25 lines are double (e.g. flames in the Ring verse). Noticeably more shading due to ink deposition.

Parker 45 blue writing sample.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Darthagnon

• BlueJ

• InkMartini

• OCArt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would first disassemble and reassemble the nib and feed unit, making sure the nib is properly seated (flat on the feed with nib back notched into the raised area on the feed) and also making sure that the collar is lined up and pushes as far toward the tines as it will go. (I've repeated the nib seating and collar securing step more than once on occasion until it felt like everything clicked into place.)

If all is secure and the wobble is still present, try putting a different Parker 45 nib (I believe you mentioned a Flighter) on this feed unit and this repaired nib on that feed unit, and see if the wobble is still present on either. As you mentioned, you could also stack the repaired nib on top of another P45 nib for a quick visual comparison of shape.

I hope this helped.

On 1/27/2022 at 3:46 PM, InkMartini said:

I would first disassemble and reassemble the nib and feed unit, making sure the nib is properly seated (flat on the feed with nib back notched into the raised area on the feed) and also making sure that the collar is lined up and pushes as far toward the tines as it will go. (I've repeated the nib seating and collar securing step more than once on occasion until it felt like everything clicked into place.)

If all is secure and the wobble is still present, try putting a different Parker 45 nib (I believe you mentioned a Flighter) on this feed unit and this repaired nib on that feed unit, and see if the wobble is still present on either. As you mentioned, you could also stack the repaired nib on top of another P45 nib for a quick visual comparison of shape.

I hope this helped.

That's a good shout. I'll try that soon :D Thank you

The "wobble" you notice is to some extent normal in the Parker 45 with its rather small nib. The feed, housing and grip section just don't hold it as rigidly as with conventional open nibs with a tail extending deep into the section. If the pen is comfortable to write with then it need not be a big concern.

13 hours ago, BlueJ said:

The "wobble" you notice is to some extent normal in the Parker 45 with its rather small nib. The feed, housing and grip section just don't hold it as rigidly as with conventional open nibs with a tail extending deep into the section. If the pen is comfortable to write with then it need not be a big concern.

Very relieving to hear! It's not too uncomfortable; I was just worried something was wrong. Do you know if there's anything people do to decrease the wobble?

Other than making sure everything is correctly seated and screwing the nib unit firmly into the section, there's not much you can change. If you can borrow or try out someone else's P45, you can get an idea if yours is unusual or not.

It's certainly the wobbliest 45 out of the three I've tried, but it's writable. I'll try reseating the nib again once the current ink reservoir empties; while I'm at it, testing with my other 45's components.

• 3 weeks later...

Very odd thing happened. I haven't used this Parker 45 for a couple weeks, so it was just sitting, capped with some Diamine Honey Burst ink. I took the cap off today, to find the nib and feed "ejected", as if someone had pulled it out. I haven't, and I'm pretty sure no-one else has touched it. Nothing inside the cap to pull it out as far as I see. Only thing I can think of is some sort of airtight seal between the feed and converter, and a gas buildup from the ink which pushed it out. Not happened with any other pens. Very odd. Anyone else ever had this happen to them?

I've never heard of a 45 nib unit being so loose as to fall out. I think you found your wiggle.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Sounds like the nib and feed weren't completely locked into the collar ring... In some pens they click together pretty easily and others make you feel like you're about to break something trying to push them together.

Aha! So that's the wobble I've been feeling. Come to think of it, I did carry the pen case with me in my bag, though I'll swear it never felt that loose. if it falls out again, I'll have to look at jamming stuff in there, as it's always clicked pretty solidly into the collar.

On at least one of my 45s, there is a tiny bump on the feed that is there to fit into a hole or dimple near the back of the nib. If that is what yours has, make sure that the nib is fitted properly to that bump (it also ensures that the nib is correctly positioned on the feed).