More recommendations please, but only pens with MEDIUM nibs

Emver

Next to @Helen350's detailed and long list, allow me to add another Hero pen with M nib, the Hero 767*, which is more of a good-looker for me than its name would appear to indicate. Living in the Netherlands, I appreciate perhaps too much De Stijl and Mondriaan styled gear.

* A typical ad for it on AliExpress could include the words "Hero 767 Fountain Pen with Golden Trim Fashion Colored Ink Pen Iridium Medium Nib Great for Gift Graduate Business Office".

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldTravelingShoe

• A Smug Dill

• mke

• Emver

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/13/2022 at 11:43 AM, A Smug Dill said:

Togi-styled Kaigelu nibs

Do you still know where you bought them?

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, mke said:

Do you still know where you bought them?

Some from Mary's Stationery Store on AliExpress, some from Pens Supplier Store on AliExpress.

Note: AliExpress' sale campaign, where ”$3 off every $30 spent” applied to select items across any number of sellers, on top of purportedly discounted sale prices, ended not 24 hours ago. I'd mentioned stacking discounts offers; that was one of the offers that I used to build the stack.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Just now, mke said:

I followed the link, and got “We couldn't find your page”.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

@A Smug Dill

> ‘long knife’ or Togi-styled grinds

Isn't the long knife a togi nib?

Sailor nibs are called N-M e.g.; the long knife is called N-MF.

1 hour ago, mke said:

Isn't the long knife a togi nib?

The kanji 長刀 (Naginata) is literally “long knife” in Chinese. However — bearing in mind that I don't speak Japanese — if I'm not mistaken, 長刀研ぎ (Naginata Togi) means “long sword grinding”, whereas some other Naginata specialty nibs, e.g. the Naginata Concord and Naginata Fude de Mannen, don't have that tipping shape. My understanding is that the Kaigelu “long knife” nibs are ground in a similar fashion to the Naginata Togi, and so I've been referring to it as Togi-style, because Naginata Togi can be taken to be Sailor's trademark (with or without formal registration), while Naginata could be construed as having a broader scope to include the other nib styles.

1 hour ago, mke said:

If you have a bit time, please show a photo of them.

Can't do it right now, sorry; I'm sitting propped up in bed, and my camera's battery is depleted (but charging). However, I think you already have one of the four variants of Kaigelu nibs with tipping that sports a “long knife” or Togi-style grind:

PXL_20220114_113935297.jpg

I have three of the golden flame bicolour nibs, and one each of the other three variants.

1 hour ago, mke said:

Sailor nibs are called N-M e.g.; the long knife is called N-MF.

Sailor Naginata Togi nibs come in N F, N M, and N B these days, which respectively stand for Naginata Medium-Fine, Naginata Medium, and Naginata Bold, of course.

naginata_3nib.jpg

Source: Sailor Pen

(The Naginata Concord is marked N K, at least on mine from before 2018.) 

I don't have the nibs in front of me, but from stock product photos that I can find on AliExpress, I believe all four variants of the Kaigelu “long knife” nibs are marked NMF, alluding to Naginata with the N while not having any direct reference or claim to the term that is quite well-known in the industry/ hobby.

H97efbae5662448e9bc1340e269d5db58x.jpg

@mke, just in case you want to get the Kaigelu Long Knife/Naginata Togi nibs, here is what I did to find them:

They appear, as @A Smug Dill said, both on AliExpress in Mary's... and Pens Supplier Store, and on eBay at least sold by pens-world. The string you can search by is "2PCS Kaigelu Fountain Pen Nibs Long Knife Grinding Nib & Feed Flame Rhombus Mark"; flame and rhombus refer to the pattern on the nib. 

Here is how the ad should look like:

- on eBay

20220115_193109.thumb.png.007f3174be9e38cd0aac0b0d8838c198.png

- on AliExpress:

20220115_193138.thumb.jpg.c22cf3d2eb105a5b768ea9dedfcf053f.jpg

(As usual, it should be clear I am not affiliated with any of these sellers, but I trust @A Smug Dill's advice.) 

21 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

the four variants of Kaigelu nibs with tipping that sports a “long knife” or Togi-style grind

Thank you everyone for the advice and links.

While I did some writing with the Kaigelu nib, I don't get it right. Either I need more training or it is not my nib with which I can write nicely.

@A Smug Dill

A post showing the four variants would be nice.

I'm also interested in these "long knife" Kaigelu nibs so I'd be interested to read other people's opinions of them.

What I'm really looking for is a Size 6 nib which is capable of producing good line width variation when required, but will also write normally the rest of the time. Or in other words, a nib which will flex easily with moderate pressure but not flex under normal writing conditions.  I thought about trying a Zebra G type nib but I suspect that might be far too flexible, making normal writing too slow or impossible. Also the lack of a tip suggests that they might be scratchy and unreliable.

So I was hoping that these "long knife" nibs might be the answer for me, but mke's post has worried me.  Can anybody else share their writing experience with these nibs please?

20 minutes ago, Emver said:

Can anybody else share their writing experience with these nibs please?

2 hours ago, mke said:

@A Smug Dill

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003207857689.html

So I see Wing Sung has a Togi-style nib has well:

O1CN01U621ly289DGhtcBFh_!!2200740757889.

Source: Taobao

Seems to be mounted on a Pali-branded pen in the marketing image above, though.

58 minutes ago, Emver said:

I thought about trying a Zebra G type nib but I suspect that might be far too flexible, making normal writing too slow or impossible.

As a beginner in using G nibs, it seems* to me:

1. All G nibs are much slower for normal writing than regular fountain pen nibs. There are two issues: first, the constant need to re-ink, when used as designed in a dip pen, and, second, the extremely quick tendency flex does not cope well with the movements of rapid writing.
  2. The Zebra G(3) nib is quite sharp and thus difficult to master from the beginning. Same for the Tachikawa No. 3 nib. Instead, the Nikko G(3) nib is more forgiving for starters like myself.

* I really cannot claim knowledge about this. I have less than 100 hours of practice and I have never asked for the opinion of an expert. Please take this as a beginner's anecdote.

It seems that I was wrong in my assumption that the Kaigelu NMF nib produces line variation as a result of its flexibility. Instead it produces it from the grind of the tip, although the variation looks to be a lot less than I'd hoped.

But I've now read a very enthusiastic (if long winded) review on Youtube . Here's the link:  Kaigelu 316 More Colors, New nib & some ink for your visual entertainment - YouTube    I must say that I can't really see any line variation in his writing samples, so I can't see why he gives the nib a score of 10+ apart from the fact that it is extremely wet.

However I've managed to find a seller on Ebay offering them for £5.87 delivered to the UK, so I'll make my own judgement when it arrives.

6 minutes ago, Emver said:

I'll make my own judgement when it arrives

Excellent result! We can exchange views once we both try out our new nibs 😄

5 hours ago, mke said:

Thank you everyone for the advice and links.

While I did some writing with the Kaigelu nib, I don't get it right. Either I need more training or it is not my nib with which I can write nicely.

@A Smug Dill

I think what you require for a nib will be a gold, med. flex nib (if you're willing to pay?)  You will get

the best of both worlds--smoothness, flex ability and variation.  Fountain Pen Revolution
FPR #6 14k Gold Flex Nib.  Sale ends in 1 day, 12 hours, 57 minutes, 49 seconds
$103.20 ($129.00).  

FPR #6 14k Gold Flex Nib