Dream Writing Desk

jchch1950

Pens, ink and paper can be instruments for writing or objects to collect. I think for most of members of FPN writing is the more common purpose of owning different types of pens, nibs ,ink or paper.What is your dream desk or table for writing? 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParramattaPaul

• miwishi63

• TSherbs

• jchch1950

This is my desk. It once belonged to my maternal grandfather, and was used in his plumbing and heating business. He started the business in the early 30's, passed away in 1959. The desk came to me between 1978 and 1981. It was used in the business until then. I don't know exactly when he got it. By the mid 60's it had been painted white and "antiqued". I stripped it and refinished it. The downside is it's size. 40 1/2 x 20 1/2, the knee hole is 18 inches wide. I have to use a wooden kitchen chair to even get close and it is about 22 inches wide so doesn't really fit. A laptop and keyboard take up a lot of space because it is so shallow. 

20150706_140232.jpg

20150706_140406.jpg

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 2 months later...

Late to the game, but here's my "new" desk compliments of a friend who no longer had room for it. Inks are in the cabinet above the left of the writing desk. Lots of room for notebooks and other  supplies.

IMG_20220319_140317055.jpg

On 3/19/2022 at 2:10 PM, miwishi63 said:

Late to the game, but here's my "new" desk compliments of a friend who no longer had room for it. Inks are in the cabinet above the left of the writing desk. Lots of room for notebooks and other  supplies.

IMG_20220319_140317055.jpg

AWESOME!!!!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

3 minutes ago, TSherbs said:

Thoreau's writing desk. Simplify, simplify, simplify.thoreau_desk.jpg.70b7f83329a8a4d0fc1ced43a6abcee3.jpg

Yes, but what did it look like under that lid?? :D

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

• 1 month later...

Back in the day, long before the advent of desktop computers, this was my dream desk -- See the source image

That was then, this is now.  My reality is a desk like this -- See the source image

• 1 month later...

This roll top was crowded with other things so I reorganized today to turn it into my dream desk.20220623_153147.thumb.jpg.2f16c40f2a1fac7bce27ec93cf9e8aa8.jpg

My "dream desk" is a small Arts & Crafts style desk I found a few years ago in an antiques mall in Indiana (don't remember the name of the town -- just that there were a BUNCH of antiques stores there, and I think it was somewhere east of Indianapolis).  I have it in the bedroom, flanked by a couple of nice looking small bookcases with folding shelves which I got when Pier 1 still had B&M stores.  But it's become a catchall -- pens, ink bottles, hair clips, old receipts from medicine containers, books, a couple of rocker blotters, random little collectibles, etc.

The hinged top folds down in two sections but I leave it up because I've got too much stuff on the top section.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 5 months later...

I recently found an antique wooden desk in my grandparent’s basement and now I want to restore it and place it in my room. It has drawer pedestals with ornate details and a hutch before the writing space for storage. It needs cleaning and scrubbing and I’ll probably have to repaint it, but I want to find a color as close to the original one, to keep the vintage look. I’m so excited I found it before rushing into buying a gaming computer desk, as computer desks tend to be so expensive. Aside from that, I like the idea of having a piece of furniture that holds so much history while being so unique. Nowadays, all desks look the same.

Edited by toyomark

One suggestion: I would contact a furniture restorer before doing anything to the desk.  It may save you some time and money as well as help preserve the desk.  Your local antique dealers and collectors may be able to provide referrals.

For journaling, I love a good old-fashioned lap desk. I have a cushioned one from Barnes & Noble and a simple wood plank reclaimed from, appropriately, an antique school desk.

5 hours ago, bookwrapt said:

For journaling, I love a good old-fashioned lap desk. I have a cushioned one from Barnes & Noble and a simple wood plank reclaimed from, appropriately, an antique school desk.

Count me as lapdesk / lapboard user as well ... (here's a pic I posted 18 months ago):

m24.thumb.jpg.5043d79c9a44f48be18280703fc4f648.jpg

What have you done with the cat? It looks half dead.

~ Schrödinger's wife