Jump to content
Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Stub-Nib Ink *MIX* Review - "Caffe Crema & Smoky Quartz"


Detman101
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • yazeh

    2

  • LizEF

    2

  • Detman101

    6

  • Recursion

    1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice looking color.  

I don't think I've ever used Café Crema -- but I LOVE Smoky Quartz!  Is there any particular reason why you mixed the two inks, and then mixed them in that ratio?  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice mix! The Smoky Quartz just takes the yellow edge off the Caffe Crema without drying it out. Great idea :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very interesting!  Thanks for sharing this mix.  Too bad I don't have the Smoky Quartz to mix in... :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Very nice looking color.  

I don't think I've ever used Café Crema -- but I LOVE Smoky Quartz!  Is there any particular reason why you mixed the two inks, and then mixed them in that ratio?  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Hehe, it started out after the colorverse reviews...I wanted to swap to a brown ink...but not "Pelikan - Smoky Quartz".
So I dug through my ink and found my old stash of "Caffe Crema".
However, when I loaded it in the pen...I wasn't satisfied with the caramel color...it needed some "Depth".
So...I figured I'd add in a few drops of my favorite brown ink..."Smoky Quartz".
I thought it would just darken up the ink...I NEVER expected such an AMAZING result! :o
I'm so thoroughly pleased that I'm not loading up Caffe Crema any other way ever again!

1 hour ago, mizgeorge said:

Nice mix! The Smoky Quartz just takes the yellow edge off the Caffe Crema without drying it out. Great idea :)

Yeeesssssss!!! That's EXACTLY it!! :D

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Very interesting!  Thanks for sharing this mix.  Too bad I don't have the Smoky Quartz to mix in... :)

Oh nooo!! That is one of the most awesome brown inks that I've experienced to date.
If you would like a sample, let me know and in the mail it will go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Detman101 said:

Oh nooo!! That is one of the most awesome brown inks that I've experienced to date.
If you would like a sample, let me know and in the mail it will go.

:) Thanks.  I'll just put it on my list of inks to sample at the end of summer.  Unless it's one of those limited editions that are gone...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, LizEF said:

:) Thanks.  I'll just put it on my list of inks to sample at the end of summer.  Unless it's one of those limited editions that are gone...

Kewl.
That is one of the few inks that I pray never goes out of production, it's just perfect in every way...even when mixed with other inks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, yazeh said:

NIce one @Detman101 the scan doesn't capture the shading though :(

Add a photo so that we can enjoy it too :)

 

 

 

Will do! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, yazeh said:

NIce one @Detman101 the scan doesn't capture the shading though :(

Add a photo so that we can enjoy it too :)

 

 

 

Well, the review paper is at home and I'm at the lab...so I wrote up a new sample sheet for inspection.
One with flash, the other without.
:)

 

CC-SQ Mix-1.jpg

CC-SQ Mix-2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Detman101 said:

One with flash, the other without.

Thank you, @Detman101 for the photo - and for the mix!

Quite often, a certain ink needs only a small kick to become wonderful. Well done!

One life!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, InesF said:

Thank you, @Detman101 for the photo - and for the mix!

Quite often, a certain ink needs only a small kick to become wonderful. Well done!

Thank you thank you!
I wholly agree! I was...okay...with the tone of "Caffe Crema".
But this mix takes it to another level! 😃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

@Detman101 I was seriously looking at an Opus because of you, but then I visited Jim Hinze and fell in love with another pen.  Anyway, let me know when you are ready to CRV.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/10/2022 at 1:59 AM, Detman101 said:

What a lovely mix!!

Indeed, lovely!

"Crafting a novel on cotton rag paper with an antique fountain pen is a sensuously rebellious act against modernity." – Khang Kijarro Nguyen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share








×
×
  • Create New...