When did they come out??? Platinum #3776 & Sailor unknown model

Chi

Hey hive minds!

spacer.png

I am trying to figure out the histories of my two pens.

One is platinum #3776 (black & gold), anyone knows what year this specific print came out?

The other is a Sailor pen, I am not sure what model this is...(it's currently inked, that why the nib looks messy, LOL)

It will be great to find out their age and identities!

Thank you in advance!!!

IMG_0568.jpeg

IMG_0569.jpeg

Please check out my shop on Etsy - Sleepy Turandot

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chi

• OldTravelingShoe

• stan

• mke

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 'black & gold' is depicted in my mid-1990s (may be earlier as undated) catalogue. The official name is Mikado. Platinum used to number pens by color and design. The Mikado was #25. The catalogue describes the model as cashew urushi.

If you compare your pen to others they are all slightly different as they were done by hand. They are not screened. See the image below. Your pen is number 3 from the top.

Platinum also made a few other similar models with more gold and some with diagonal lines. Obviously more expensive and harder to find.

Your pen comes up for sale once in awhile and attracts attention. They are nice pens.

PlatPlace4.jpg

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

hmmm...I guess no clue yet on the Sailor pen...

Anyone has an idea where I might be able to dig up some information???

Thank you in advance,

Chi

Hi, @Chi, I could not see the end of the pen in the photo from this Sailor 1981 catalog from Ameblo, and I don't know if the characters mean what I think they do (14K gold find nib), but here is my guess:

1825010189_SailorCatalog1981o1186044614489168184.thumb.jpg.06081ca4b80ce31f69c64164de66ec4c.jpg

Hope this helps.

Side-note: If you could show the clip from the top, it would help with the identification -- I believe Sailor has distinctive models over the years.

Edited by OldTravelingShoe
Clarity.

@OldTravelingShoe that could be it!!!

I can read some of of the characters!!!

The seller I bought it from has the black version as well but I went for the medium nib (中字)which is the one I have in burgundy. I’ll take a picture of the cap when I’m home. Thank you so much!!! 😍 it’s so smooth to write with and I love the embedded nib design. 

link to the black one (This is a pen shop in Taipei, Taiwan. Prices are in NTD) 

https://www.tylee.tw/index.php?route=product/product&path=276_199_200_413&product_id=12732

PS 細字 means fine nib, 太字 means broad nib. Because of my ink collection, I’m crazy about broad and music nibs right now. 

12 hours ago, Chi said:

the medium nib (中字)

12 hours ago, Chi said:

PS 細字 means fine nib, 太字 means broad nib

This is very useful. I've seen photos (scans) with these characters, but these I can actually copy-paste when trying to search for something.

Thank you, @Chi

6 hours ago, mke said:

Thanks for that link. It shows a set which I will be selling soon.

Glad to help! (I'm surprised I'm able to help at all, which doubles the pleasure.) 

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Chi said:

These are excellent photos, @Chi, of course linked to an excellent collection. I've seen now for the first time several of these pens and I am sure several do not appear in Richard Binder's essay on Japanese pocket pens (or book derived from it). Many thanks for sharing! 

Edited by OldTravelingShoe
Added the link.

@OldTravelingShoe thank you.

one of the staff member is helping me free up “my attachment” space. Because I didn’t know it’s better to use gallery. So I’m in process of fixing older threads and get rid of the attachments. 

1 hour ago, Chi said:

one of the staff member is helping me free up “my attachment” space. Because I didn’t know it’s better to use gallery. So I’m in process of fixing older threads and get rid of the attachments

You mean here, on FPN? Because then I have probably the same problem - - all my pics added as attachments to posts, rather than through a gallery folder. 

@OldTravelingShoe here is what you do, you click the Gallery tab and create a new album.

After that, your profile should have a "album" tab shows up. 

Upload all pics that you want to share on FPN to the album you created.

when in post, "Other Media" > "Insert existing attachment" > "Gallery Image"

28 minutes ago, Chi said:

@OldTravelingShoe here is what you do, you click the Gallery tab and create a new album.

After that, your profile should have a "album" tab shows up. 

Upload all pics that you want to share on FPN to the album you created.

when in post, "Other Media" > "Insert existing attachment" > "Gallery Image"

Oh, I see, many thanks! This should do it - I was wondering how not to hit the ceiling on image uploads. I will try to do this next time I want to upload an image, maybe even this weekend. 

(I'm reminded of the quotas we used to have on various BBS systems in the 1990s. Good memories, nevertheless.)