Sailor Yurameku inks

A Smug Dill

I'm feeling terribly out of the loop, when earlier today I discovered Sailor's new series of Yurameku inks, which are already available from a couple of stockists on these shores! With no mention of them at all so far on FPN (and so I'm doing my duty to bring them up now), I haven't heard of them, and I wouldn't have come across them had I not been looking at my options for getting another bottle of Pilot Iroshizuku Tsukushi, including locally. I can now see they were talked about on reddit since early December, by hobbyists who have already bought them.

Sailor-Fountain-Pen-Ink-Yurameku-20_460x

Source: Bookbinders Design Australia

1932686916_SearchresultsforYuramekuonLarryPOST.jpg.71dec247a7daa5e0d2bdd1b439fbe4cc.jpg

Source: LarryPOST

As multi-hued inks, they look interesting, but at the same price (¥1,500+tax) as a 50ml bottle of Pilot Iroshizuku ink for a 20ml bottle of Sailor ink, they're a bit too rich for me, when I balk even at buying the cheaper Ink Studio series (¥1,200+tax).

Is anyone keen?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• gerigo

• chromantic

• arcfide

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I already have one of this suite and I like it a lot. So I ordered the 8 remaining the day before yesterday directly from Japan.

They are pale multi chromatic inks, cousins of sailor ink studio #123 #252 etc...

Kokuyo soft ring 70gsm (smoother and less line spread than Campus).

1641729460704.jpg

Old tomoegawa from Hobonichi
1641729665120.jpg
IMG-0579.jpg

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

I'm feeling terribly out of the loop, ....

I imagine this won't help (you or anybody) but no need to fret... I haven't heard of these or seen them either.... Thanks for the news! Good step into a New Year....

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I really like the look of some of the colours (although the swatches I've seen look a bit same-y), but the prices are simply not realistic for me. I struggle with justifying the cost any of the Sailor 20ml ranges, but for inks that I'd be wanting to use in broad nibs and for drawing, which uses a fair amount of volume, this is now just a step too far.

I'll probably eat my words when they turn up here, of course.

Never heard of them either, but I wasn't even aware there was a loop, so... :P  Though this thread makes me wish there were a single, easy-access (brief / terse) source for every new ink on the planet (an absurd wish, I know, but that was the kind of wish I was going for, so it's not absurd at all - I detect the start of some whirling action here - oh, maybe that's the loop! :D ).

9 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Is anyone keen?

I'll take a pass, but thanks for bringing them to my attention.  U.S. merchants don't seem to have these yet, but honestly, they look too muted for my taste; I like my inks more saturated.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

The stationery scene in Japan has taken a very interesting turn, with a focus away from fountain pens, towards inks. There are very interesting inks appearing on the scenes by Tono & Lims and Sailor that are the chroma-shading inks that this range belongs to.  Together with new players from Korea like, Dominant Industries that are producing inks that are taking this world by storm but not suitable at all for fountain pens. These are primarily led by ink influencers like Bechori and the like who are spawning a completely new scene and leaving fountain pens behind. This scene is also putting a lot more emphasis on dip pens, specifically glass pens by companies like Hase Glass Works. Just in case anyone is interested. 

https://cityluxe.sg/collections/dominant-industry/products/dominant-industry-mirror-25ml-ink-bottle

https://www.instagram.com/dominantindustry/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/bechori777/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/haseglassworks/

29 minutes ago, gerigo said:

The stationery scene in Japan has taken a very interesting turn, with a focus away from fountain pens, towards inks. There are very interesting inks appearing on the scenes by Tono & Lims …

Isn't Tono & Lims a South Korean brand?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

2 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Isn't Tono & Lims a South Korean brand?

Lims is Korean. Tono is Japanese. Or is it that it is one and the same person? A lot of their inks are released in Japan.

26 minutes ago, gerigo said:

Lims is Korean. Tono is Japanese. Or is it that it is one and the same person?

I don't know. The server for https://tonoandlims.com returns an HTTP error 403 (Forbidden), so there is no official “About us” page I can check. The brand's Instagram page does not seem to say anything about the company that owns the trademark or where it is registered or domiciled. I remember reading from multiple sources that the ink is manufactured in South Korea, so I'm assuming it is a Korean company that owns the trademark.

Yeah, no.

23 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Is anyone keen?

Yeah, no. Too pale. Stipula Saffron is about my limit.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I love the idea of chroma-shading inks, and I *want* to like them, in particular for the potential to experience all sorts of colors in a single ink, especially with different papers as demonstrated above. The main issue for me is that I know I would purchase them just to swatch them and play with them, and I wouldn't actually get to enjoy using them on a regular basis, as none of these inks are ones that I would want to write with on a regular basis. For me, the closest I get to these is the color changing effects of IG ink, which is quite fun already, if less flexible. 

• 2 weeks later...

I saw something about them in Instagram. The post said, "Introducing the newest colors by Sailor: Yurameku Inks. This release offers 9 new colors ranging from soft browns to cloudy blues, to earthy greens and delicate purples. Perhaps what is most exciting about Yurameku inks by Sailor is that these colors will change depending on the paper that is used, as well as the length of time that the inks have to develop on the paper. These mysterious inks invite you to try them out on your favorite papers to see how the colors will appear and watch how they change over time."

I think the first innk in that video is really beautiful.