Ranga Abhimanyu Pen Review by Mr. Douglas Rathbun

mpkandan

Dear FPN'ers,

We are happy to share this  

Ranga Abhimanyu Pen review by Inkquiring Minds Channel (Mr.Douglas Rathbun -USA)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ0cDfdmKgM

Thanks Mr. Douglas Rathbun Sir for the nice and detailed review. Thanks for your service to fountain pen community

Regards,
Kandan.M.P
Ranga Pen Company
www.rangapens.com

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• miel

• I-am-not-really-here

• Jamerelbe

I thoroughly recommend the Abhimanyu (for anyone who doesn't mind a clipless pen): stylish, attractive, functional - and available in such a wide range of materials!  [And yes, Mr Douglas Rathbun Sir gives a great review of it too...]

My only recommendation: give the Ranga-branded nibs a try.  In my experience they've been equal in quality to JoWo and Bock (though cheaper!) - and if worse come to worst, their threading is compatible with JoWo, so it's easy to swap the nibs out.

I gifted this pen to myself for Christmas this year - best Christmas present ever!
I did choose an rose ebonite and fitted in a Bock nib from fpnibs (a semiflex that is not offered by Ranga).
It was no problem to put the nib in the pen - great.

The pen feels great and is perfect for my hand - a pleasure to write with it. I just love it.

I have two of these, one in ebonite, one in acrylic, and I love them both. I had the Ranga flex nibs installed on them, and they came with the Schmidt converters - there, the acrylic gave me some problems: the converter would not fit right, it leaked ink into the barrel. In the end I've removed it and am using the pen eyedropper-filled. With silicone grease, the seal between barrel and section is good. I do find the nibs a bit hard to flex, but other than that, they're very nice. I plan on trying out some more of the Ranga nib options when I next get a Ranga...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Thank you for showing the review.

The Abhimanyu is a lovely pen. I'm usually wary of pens with step downs, but this pen is one of the very few that passes my idiosyncrasy for step downs with full marks! The section is very long and the step is rounded edge, no issue at all!  It's a great pen to hold.

The premium ebonite versions are fantastic colours as usual, some of the acrylic version are very pretty too!

I have German nib versions, they work as expected, and I always ask Ranga to try them for me first. A big insurance against the odd faulty nib.

A really lovely new model from Ranga.

1 hour ago, miel said:

I gifted this pen to myself for Christmas this year - best Christmas present ever!
I did choose an rose ebonite and fitted in a Bock nib from fpnibs (a semiflex that is not offered by Ranga).
It was no problem to put the nib in the pen - great.

The pen feels great and is perfect for my hand - a pleasure to write with it. I just love it.

miel, may I kindly ask you which semiflex Bock you got from fpnibs? is it the Bock steel?

4 hours ago, HartGummi said:

I would buy more clipless pen if rollstops were easily available, or if Ranga offered them.

Mightn't hurt for Ranga to offer them, but it's not too hard to find your own rollstoper (expandable ring) on eBay and wrapping it around your pen - I believe Doug's YouTube video mentions this is what he does?

On 1/9/2022 at 4:46 PM, sansenri said:

miel, may I kindly ask you which semiflex Bock you got from fpnibs? is it the Bock steel?

Yes it is the Bock steel.

I wanted the pen be a daily writer so I decided for just a little flex and it works out great.

49176597_2022-01-1420_27_25.k.thumb.jpg.76a16c6245e17e7975c5b8910e11a00c.jpg

I am tempted to try the JOWO steel full flex ... but this would mean to order another Abhimanyu ... perhaps for my birthday 😉

that's interesting, I was looking at that in temptation... I have quite a number of Bock nibbed pen on which it could go!

Same purpose as yours, as a daily writer a moderate amount of flex is the right balance for me.

The Abhimanyu is really a nice pen (I own 3! :o:lol:, two of them have Bock nibs), btw your solid red looks good!

Well-timed review as I have a few sitting in a PeytonStreetPens shopping cart but can't commit due to "no new pens in 2022."  Besides I have more than enough Jowo-#6 pens already, between Franklin-Christoph, Schon, and hand-turned/bespoke. Maybe next year.

leave them in the cart... (is it possible to automatically buy them as soon as 2023 starts? my online bank allows me to do that with some of my expenses, but it's usually taxes... not pens :()

34 minutes ago, sansenri said:

leave them in the cart... (is it possible to automatically buy them as soon as 2023 starts? my online bank allows me to do that with some of my expenses, but it's usually taxes... not pens :()

The ones I picked are one pen per color scheme, so buy it or lose it, as surely someone else will buy those pens in the next 50 weeks...  Apart from flex mods such as those offered by Kirk Speer I've completed the Jowo course. On to something else...

It might be that Peytonstreet has only 1 pen per color, but if you order directly with Ranga you can choose the colors you want. Ebonite and acrylics.
And you can decide if you want it with a JOWO or Bock or Ranga nib.
(Or if you are like me just prepared for a Bock nib.)

Edited by miel

1 hour ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

The ones I picked are one pen per color scheme, so buy it or lose it, as surely someone else will buy those pens in the next 50 weeks...  Apart from flex mods such as those offered by Kirk Speer I've completed the Jowo course. On to something else...

I was sort of joking... but miel is right, I'm not sure which pens you are after (PeytonStreet has some designs that Ranga makes for them only) but buying from Ranga often gives a lot more options of models and colours/materials.

Since I'm not in US for me it's obvious to buy from Ranga directly, or from the group buys here on FPN.

Just to further feed the interest in this lovely pen... :)

here is one of mine (the grey cream pink premium ebonite)

large.1968634694_P1190909-3RangaAbhimanyu.jpg.3db47fe7c244f4b35467b3c1a2cd9421.jpg

large.1887225578_P1190911-3RangaAbhimanyu.jpg.9e73304ea3d5448e5f321227018aa399.jpg

Yes , the ones in my cart are PSP exclusive.  No matter, maybe next year, if I've gotten rid of enough Jowo-nibbed pens that something to fill the gap is desired.  

I bought one a year ago, I still cannot get over how well this pen is built. the red wood grain pattern is hard to capture but here are some of the pictures.

232303477_IMG_20201018_1451202.thumb.jpg.ef4d519dd5af03cb94f8b5501bbb8f2d.jpg

396809713_IMG_20201018_1448372.thumb.jpg.93414f5a09a2c8adae3a219da6cbd1fc.jpg

a close look at their in-house Ranga dual tone M nib. 

1215885550_IMG_20201018_1449112.thumb.jpg.4326ab2512a3b78b130697a1a4157170.jpg 

IMG_20201018_144801~2.jpg

very nice! thanks for showing it, I have been very tempted by this woodgrain ebonite which looks extremely classy.

How do you like the Ranga nib?